The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for university?

I really want to go to university :frown: and I don't really know what happened.
My GCSE grades were bad and my predicted grades at AS Level seem to be worse?!
Are my grades actually good enough to go to university?
At GCSE I got A*AAABBBBBBB
At AS level I think I will get:
History - C
English - C/B
Law - A
French - A/B
(I hoped to get higher but I probably won't as I'm ill at the moment and will be for 2/3 weeks - just over the exam period! Great!)

So anyway, I just wondered if my grades are actually good enough and what sort of universities I could go to.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is this troll? Of course they are...
misscadbury6
I really want to go to university :frown: and I don't really know what happened.
History - C
English - C/B
Law - A
French - A/B
(I hoped to get higher but I probably won't as I'm ill at the moment and will be for 2/3 weeks - just over the exam period! Great!)

So anyway, I just wondered if my grades are actually good enough and what sort of universities I could go to.

A*AAABBBBBBB is hardly bad at GCSE I Got A*AAABBBCCC and Got BBCu at AS, Hope to get ABB/A*AB at A2 (Predicted ABB) and still got all 5 Offers at respectable Unis (Surrey, Sussex, Royal Holloway, Aber, Reading) for CompSci So You'll be fine.
Reply 3
no it's not:frown:
everyone on here seems to have straight A*/A at GCSE and straight As at A level.
I don't really know which unis to look for as most of the ones I know are the good ones which require straight As.
Lool why would you ask that??
Yes they are good
Reply 5
Universities dont really look at GCSEs and getting ABBC is respectable at AS, the guys here want to go cambridge/oxford generally russel universities so if your not aiming for that I can't see anything wrong with your grades.
Yes they are great. Dont worry.
Reply 7
misscadbury6
everyone on here seems to have straight A*/A at GCSE and straight As at A level.
I don't really know which unis to look for as most of the ones I know are the good ones which require straight As.

I got A's And B's and gcse... no A*'s . As grades : BCCC . Then in january i retook some modules which pushed my AS grades to ABB. And i've applied for Chemical Engineering where i need AAB or ABB. So ofcourse thats good enough. People go uni with c's. if you want to go to a good uni start working ur ass off.
Reply 8
misscadbury6
History - C
English - C/B
Law - A
French - A/B

If your goal is to 'just go to university' then yes of course you can. I have friends who are going to places like Glamorgan on 260 UCAS points from Media and Photography. I know somebody who has offers from places like Plymouth and UWE who's achieved CCD at AS level and 2 Cs at GCSE. What I'm trying to say is that your grades can in no way be classed as 'bad' compared to some people I know! One of my closest friends is studying Biology at Southampton with ABBu in History, Biology, Psychology and Maths. Obviously, you'll be able to go to university!

What sort of universities you can realistically apply to will depend on the degree not on the university in general. Nobody on here will be able to say that your grades are suited to say Sheffield or Southampton because every university has varying entry requirements. Some courses at King's require AAA and a B at AS level (History) whereas for others it's BBB and a pass at AS (Theology).

Don't think too much about university just yet because you may be pleasantly surprised (or even disappointed) come AS level results day. Just focus on revising and doing your best before considering what sort of universities are for you. What degree are you looking to study?
Reply 9
Well I want to do French but I'm unsure as to whether I'd like to study it with anything else yet. I think I'm capable of getting better but I've felt really set back with being ill so I think before I was ill I thought I could have got AABB or AABC but I can't see it being either of those now.
I did want to go to Nottingham originally but I don't think that I will be able to get into any of the Russel group unis anymore.

I plan on re-taking History and French (as these have been most affected by my illness) but I realised that it would probably look bad on a UCAS application, especially as French is the subject I'd like to study most of all.
If by university you mean "Oxbridge" then probably no. Most other institutions have lower boundaries though. If you want to find out entry requirements, just look at courses at universities that interest you and see what kinda grades they'd like to see.
misscadbury6
History - C
English - C/B
Law - A
French - A/B

I got ABBC at AS

I also got 5/5 offers, 4 of which were AAB offers.
misscadbury6
I did want to go to Nottingham originally but I don't think that I will be able to get into any of the Russel group unis anymore.

I know its changed a lot since I started at uni (3 years), but I got into a Russell group uni with ABB, and the requirements were BBB... it depends on the course. Go and look at prospectus's now :smile:
misscadbury6
Well I want to do French but I'm unsure as to whether I'd like to study it with anything else yet. I think I'm capable of getting better but I've felt really set back with being ill so I think before I was ill I thought I could have got AABB or AABC but I can't see it being either of those now.

I plan on re-taking History and French (as these have been most affected by my illness) but I realised that it would probably look bad on a UCAS application, especially as French is the subject I'd like to study most of all.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course.php?code=000655

Requirements: ABC - you should be fine
Not good enough for optometry. Demand has taken that from ABB to AAA (and they don't like my film studies either). Very uncool after my C1 resit disaster yesterday. I'm looking at ABC now and looking at new career options.
:frown:
misscadbury6

Oh really? Hows this..........

At GCSE I got ABBBBCCCCCCCDD

AS Level: BCCD

A2, predicted: ABB/ACC (it could go either way for me depending on resit results).

My grades are good enough, so I don't really see why your worrying.
Reply 16
Yes they are good enough for university. People with grades far worse than yours can get a place at uni. It depends on what uni you want to apply to, and what their entry requirements are, but im sure you'll be able to get into somewhere fairly decent with those grades.
I don't know how you got those grades considering your towering stupidity, but yes, they are good enough for University.
misscadbury6
History - C
English - C/B
Law - A
French - A/B

You are just wasting people's time here. :frown:
You have no chance of getting in at any university with grades like those lol.
Reply 19
whitepearlbaby

I looked at that and then I saw the A required in French. I have a feeling I will only get a B but I'm going to retake and get an A (hopefully!). I thought that that might put them off. And I'm also aware that a lot of universities are competitive so I might be competing with those who got AAA?

Also, I know that my grades aren't awful but I was originally predicted straight A*s at GCSE and at the school I study at, my grades wouldn't be considered very good. Before now, I'd only really looked at the Russel group universities and I'm aware that I'm quite naive about university, but we have to start somewhere, right?

Latest

Trending

Trending