The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B - Unit 1, Aspects of Narrative - 8/06/2010

Scroll to see replies

HD55
Hey guys was wondering does anyone what section B questions came up in the Jan 10 paper, and any ideas as to section B questions tomorrow? Also does anyone know which Gatsby chapter came up in Jan 10? Thanks

I think Jan 2010 was chapter 5 of Gatsby..
and I'm hoping settings/ place or voice will come up for part B
How much do you all expect to write for part B?
Reply 82
Nikinoodles
yehh I think 9 or 2... i really hope its not 1! what could you write about for form in 1?:s-smilie:

Good form could be writing about how its about a novel within a novel (Nick writing a novel), Urban drama (with the Buchannans house visit + affair), maybe creep love story in with Gatsby lol? I find that with form you just have to kind've shove them in there, can't be bothered to be smart about it haha :p:
does anyone know the grade boundaries?? please help! extremely extremely nervous ahh
Reply 84
Nikinoodles
yehh I think 9 or 2... i really hope its not 1! what could you write about for form in 1?:s-smilie:

Quite a bit...
Nick foreshadows Gatsby's death: tragedy
Jordan talks about Tom's affair: urban drama
Nick is narrating with the past in hindsight: autobiographical
there is something in the chapter about it being a romance too, but I can't remember what...
poppy_1234x
does anyone know the grade boundaries?? please help! extremely extremely nervous ahh

I wouldn't worry about grade boundaries etc.. when I sat my AS Literature exam, I made the mistake of worrying about boundaries and marks. It got to the point I was trying to cram in as many points as possible, calculating my potential mark as I went a long. It was the worst thing I could have done.

Please, don't worry about boundaries and marks. Let your writing flow naturally, it's always the best way!
HD55
Good form could be writing about how its about a novel within a novel (Nick writing a novel), Urban drama (with the Buchannans house visit + affair), maybe creep love story in with Gatsby lol? I find that with form you just have to kind've shove them in there, can't be bothered to be smart about it haha :p:

lol thankss :smile:
Reply 87
Nikinoodles
I think Jan 2010 was chapter 5 of Gatsby..
and I'm hoping settings/ place or voice will come up for part B

Thanks so 3, 4 and 5 down, 1 in 5 chance of getting it right haha :yep:
and yeh was just talking to my mate we reckon voice and places at least one of them is likely, hopefully guess right
haaaza23
Quite a bit...
there is something in the chapter about it being a romance too, but I can't remember what...

thankyou :smile: the whole urban drama seems quite popular (which I haven't heard about) so I'll use that :smile:
WhereIsMyMind
I wouldn't worry about grade boundaries etc.. when I sat my AS Literature exam, I made the mistake of worrying about boundaries and marks. It got to the point I was trying to cram in as many points as possible, calculating my potential mark as I went a long. It was the worst thing I could have done.

Please, don't worry about boundaries and marks. Let your writing flow naturally, it's always the best way!

hmm i shall try! i keep worrying about what will come up.. all the good Hardy poems about Emma Hardy seem have to come up already!
and i havent exactly read one of my other books The God Of Small Things... i think ill keep that for section B..
Reply 90
Any ideas what the part b question could be? Has places come up yet?
Also anybody doing Rossetti what do you think the named poem could be?
Reply 91
For part B, including the Spec paper, the questions have been on these:
Places
Beginnings of texts
Titles
Key events
Characters
Time & Chronology
Repetition
Crises

By best bet would be either Endings, Climaxes or Voices (though the last is quite broad - more of a pipe-dream)
Oxmatt
Places
Beginnings of texts
Titles
Key events
Characters
Time & Chronology
Repetition
Crises

By best bet would be either Endings, Climaxes or Voices (though the last is quite broad - more of a pipe-dream)

Ooh Endings/Climaxes sound likely as one of the two questions. Going to do that now. How much do you reckon we should write for this? I reckon I can manage 4-5 sides? I struggle to write alot about the poems unfortunately.
Reply 93
Endings, settings, symbolism or narration PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE
Reply 94
4-5 sides sound spretty good to me. You just want to make sure you've said all you could, and that you've fulfilled the Assessment objectives I guess. And that you've mentioned all the texts.
Reply 95
Oxmatt
Places
Beginnings of texts
Titles
Key events
Characters
Time & Chronology
Repetition
Crises

Thankyou :smile:
I'm also sitting this exam, studying Pride and Prejudice, Birdsong, Auden and Hardy. I'm not sure if anyone else is doing this combination?
I'm really crossing my fingers for a question on narration :smile: x
Reply 97
I've got this; studying Browning, Auden, Dubliners and Enduring Love.

I'm hoping for "The Patriot" in section A and a setting section B essay would just be great :biggrin:
Just looked at the two 2009 papers and the section B topics were:

-time/sequence
-titles
-characterisation
-events

So is setting likely to come up?
Firaila

-events

So is setting likely to come up?

We've had 'Write about the importance of places in telling of narratives in the three texts you have studied'. Similar to setting?

I'd put my money on endings.
Reply 99
hyperscorpio
Setting:
I hope that helps a bit! I hated Lamia, it wasn't one of Keats's finest moments...

It helps a lot, thanks! I haven't even read the whole of Lamia. I was away, ill, and so have only studied the beginning and the end. Ah well, I know La Belle Dame pretty well :smile:

Nikinoodles

haaaza23
Quite a bit...

There's also the Buchanan's house. White suggests purity and perfection, but we find out Tom's having an affair, and later Daisy does too. It's also on West Egg which is fashionable and shows their wealth. The small talk at the party shows how the rich have no ambitiomn or aim in life, and so fill it with meanigless chatter about nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending