The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
G8D

That is some messed up sh** :lolwut:
missygeorgia
Give me a real life example of this. Because I can't think of one time I've been prevented from saying something perfectly OK because of political correctness.

And what makes something 'genuinely offensive'? If you judge it so?

This.

Actually, that's a perfect example of political correctness.

Genuinely offensive = a statement intended specifically and solely to offend.

Many jokes are "offensive", but only because they are taken in the wrong way.
missygeorgia
I can't see how people can have a problem with the idea that we should be careful and responsible with the way we use language.

absolutely correct...political correctness is a direct result of the race relations act introduced to outlaw discrimination...why would anyone in their right mind oppose this?
im so academic
This.

Offensive is, according to the dictionary,
'Causing anger, displeasure, resentment, or affront'. So nothing to do with intention.

So basically, you don't need to have the intention to offend. If I slag someone off behind their back and they accidentally hear, that's offensive, even if I didn't mean them to hear. If I use racist language to another white person, that doesn't make the language any less offensive just because I didn't mean to offend anyone.
It annoys me when some usually white politician feels the need and right to speak on behalf of an race. You end up with situations where people are arguing that so and so offends a certain group of people, when in actual fact it does nothing of the sort!
Rude Boi 2k11
stop aggyin man i ent ugly lyk a troll so stp sayin i am

You live in a detached house with cream carpet and your names trevor. You dad is a bank-teller and your mum plays the piano.
people are stupid to think there superior thats why people are ignorant , yeh sure get rid of political correctness because honestly I doubt I would care anyway
I'll be honest if all political correctness disappeared tommorow I doubt it would have any influence on any of your lives. If someone wants to call someone a black **** then political correctness won't stop them. So essentially it does just try and make it look like the government is trying to at least mask the problem.
Reply 28
metallica nutter
do you really want to go back to the days where ethnic minorities were openly abused in the workplace, on the street and in the media....i think not

politically correct is ********, now we have women and gays running the country:mad: thanks a lot maggie thatcher and harriert harman:mad:
im so academic
This.

do you think its ok to call a black person the n word, or an indian a paki or a jew a yid???? believe me it isnt mate....sure political correctness may seem to go a bit far sometimes (ie gollywogs) but i think we must do everything to erase prejudice and create a level playing field...you need to accept this or emigrate to australia where open racism is welcomed
missygeorgia
Offensive is, according to the dictionary,
'Causing anger, displeasure, resentment, or affront'. So nothing to do with intention.

So basically, you don't need to have the intention to offend. If I slag someone off behind their back and they accidentally hear, that's offensive, even if I didn't mean them to hear. If I use racist language to another white person, that doesn't make the language any less offensive just because I didn't mean to offend anyone.

But what one might find offensive, one might.

E.g. a "blackboard". One person might find it offensive because it has the word the black in it and it's causing distress.e

:rolleyes: That just steps over the line.

From your definition, the word "blackboard" has caused offence - which is just stupid. A word can't "cause" offence.

If something is caused to do something, they intend to do it.

E.g. if I intentionally cause to offend people, that is offensive. If I didn't intentionally cause to offend people, it's not offensive - why? Because I didn't mean it that way.

In other words, your "definition" is quite weird, as I interpret the word cause to mean "an act of intention".

For example, I get into debt and lost my house. I didn't intentionally cause to lose my house.

However, I get into debt purposely and therefore lost my house. I intentionally cause to lose my house.

See the difference?

OK, take this situation - your post is offending me as you are disagreeing me with. You can causing me anger and displeasure and I resent what you said.

By your very definition - what you said was offensive.

Therefore, your definition is pretty vague and pointless.
Genocidal
I'll be honest if all political correctness disappeared tommorow I doubt it would have any influence on any of your lives. If someone wants to call someone a black **** then political correctness won't stop them. So essentially it does just try and make it look like the government is trying to at least mask the problem.

i don't agree with this..using racially offensive language is a now crime...this makes people think twice before being openly racist...also you can lose your job
missygeorgia
Give me a real life example of this. Because I can't think of one time I've been prevented from saying something perfectly OK because of political correctness.

And what makes something 'genuinely offensive'? If you judge it so?

and that is exactly why speech should be free.
the state, in controlling something so intangible as speech, is exerting control over ideas. that is a very slippery slope.
metallica nutter
do you really want to go back to the days where ethnic minorities were openly abused in the workplace, on the street and in the media....i think not

Political correctness is not what you think it is.

Laws against racial discrimination and hate speech, etc, make it clear that people will be punished for abusing and insulting others on the grounds of race. Yet political correctness goes well beyond that, to absurd levels. In many instances, people have been prosecuted, and events have been banned, for putting up the Union Jack or criticising immigration to Britain. Christian holidays and British traditions have been renamed and even forbidden so as not to cause offence where there is none.

Political correctness is a symbol of newspeak and cultural marxism, and the bastard child of liberal guilt.
metallica nutter
do you think its ok to call a black person the n word, or an indian a paki or a jew a yid???? believe me it isnt mate....sure political correctness may seem to go a bit far sometimes (ie gollywogs) but i think we must do everything to erase prejudice and create a level playing field...you need to accept this or emigrate to australia where open racism is welcomed

ah, the left.
you lose the battle for ideas, and then try and portray than any idea that is not yours is somehow immoral.

advocacy of free speech = advocacy of racism. totally.
im so academic
But what one might find offensive, one might.

E.g. a "blackboard". One person might find it offensive because it has the word the black in it and it's causing distress.e

:rolleyes: That just steps over the line.

From your definition, the word "blackboard" has caused offence - which is just stupid. A word can't "cause" offence.

If something is caused to do something, they intend to do it.

E.g. if I intentionally cause to offend people, that is offensive. If I didn't intentionally cause to offend people, it's not offensive - why? Because I didn't mean it that way.

In other words, your "definition" is quite weird, as I interpret the word cause to mean "an act of intention".

For example, I get into debt and lost my house. I didn't intentionally cause to lose my house.

However, I get into debt purposely and therefore lost my house. I intentionally cause to lose my house.

See the difference?

OK, take this situation - your post is offending me as you are disagreeing me with. You can causing me anger and displeasure and I resent what you said.

By your very definition - what you said was offensive.

Therefore, your definition is pretty vague and pointless.

Well the part of my point that was the most relevent you kind of skipped over so I'll post it again.

If I slag someone off behind their back and they accidentally hear, that's offensive, even if I didn't mean them to hear. If I use racist language to another white person, that doesn't make the language any less offensive just because I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Are you saying you don't think people have the right to be offended in these situations?
missygeorgia
If I slag someone off behind their back and they accidentally hear, that's offensive, even if I didn't mean them to hear.

OK, let's use an example. You were slagging Justin Bieber behind his back to a couple of your friends. I accidently hear. It's NOT offensive because you did not intend to cause offence to me and the fact that I wasn't even supposed to be listening anyway!

God - why should be careful of what someone has to say, perhaps if they "listen in"? If anything, I'm in the wrong for listening in, not you.

We are all entitled to our opinions. And they're "offensive" opinions - so be it. People should respect everyone's opinions regardless.

If I use racist language to another white person, that doesn't make the language any less offensive just because I didn't mean to offend anyone.

But why would you use racist language? For the sake of it? Then it's unjustified why you use it (after all, you can't say why you used it), so it's not racist, rather unjustified. And to a limited extent, ignorant, rather than offensive.

If you did intentionally be racist to another white person, then yes, it's offensive as you "caused displeasure".

Also, you couldn't even be bothered to reply properly to my previous post. Why? Because you know I'm in the right.
Some people need to get the chips off their shoulder...the ones from KFC I mean! :rofl:
metallica nutter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_consequences
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_emotion
**** that.

Latest

Trending

Trending