The Student Room Group

Thread for new 5th years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
this is how my courses are progressing so far:

Higher English: Absolutely loving it (I hope this will continue)! Even though I've got two essays to write already and a homework for Wednesday, it's all good. :biggrin:

Higher Modern Studies: Heeeeeeeeelp! My wrist is so sore after every period : | But despite writing, I actually enjoy it.
:smile: :smile:
Higher Art: It's been okay so far. We had to pick an object and draw it with a pencil, revealing all highlights and things ; )

Higher RMPS: I enjoy it, I really do. it's certainly better than Higher Maths: when I was in the library during my free period I heard people from my class and 6th years complaining about Maths. Actually all you could hear was swearing.

Higher Graphic Communication: It's better now, but probably I'm going to be the one who is going to stay at lunchtimes a lot as I won't finish the drawings in time. Jesus, please help me :s-smilie:

Tomorrow is going to be 'exciting'. I'm going to be a buddy! :eek:
Reply 41
Midnightsk010
We actually did the experiment today. It was soo fun!!. :wink:

I found it funny too :smile:

Are ya doing Human this year? :smile:
Reply 42
higher maths- started this a year ago, starting to get into the tricky stuff, and its a sure fire fail for me
higher english- started it a year ago, passed my writing and personal study at higher (so i was relieved that we still have to do it, cos we were registered last year), textual analysis atm is soooo confusing & i have a nab next week, cant do it :frown:
Mods-not enjoying it as much as SG so far, which is a shame cos i looooved it at SG. and also i get this total rubbish teacher twice a week who i can't stand
French- Actually, quite enjoying this so far, although the sixth years in my class really get on my tits, and are mega intimidating
Biology-No idea why i took this, couldnt even do it at standard grade, but i convinced myself i enjoyed it, and now i know im gonna fail it
BAD TIMES so far, i want my SGs back, i loooved SG :frown:
I swear the 6th years in most of my classes are more immature than the 5th years? LOL
:hello:

All our teachers have been trying really hard to scare us - the music teacher said the reason we had such a big class at the moment was because so many of us would drop out! :s-smilie: Having said that, music seems to be going at the same pace that it has since 1st year :yep:

Already worried about the history exam - 2 1500 word essays in 80 minutes? :eek3:

(Sorry about all the smilies, I just discovered them and am very excited.)
Higher History seems really easy. The essays are for 20 marks each so you can wright as little as you want aslong as its got 20 points in it. :woo:

Physics, Maths, Geography all seem ok but ave already had loads of homework already :frown:

English is an absolute disaster, as ive been moved down a class after 2 weeks :frown:
Rise_Against
Higher History seems really easy. The essays are for 20 marks each so you can wright as little as you want aslong as its got 20 points in it. :woo:

Our teacher said though that they aren't marked with a list of points ('right, he's mentioned such-and-such, one mark'), they just have guidelines or something, look at the whole essay and decide it's worth, say, twelve. And some of the marks are meant to be for structure, so you have to have a decent intro and conclusion. And it's the paper everyone in the country does worst in. :s-smilie:

Anyone else fed up with the thousands of threads about the England team? I so don't care.
Reply 47
Ah, I'm nearing summer now but I've already done quite a lot in my subjects :smile:

Higher English - half the folio is already done, and we're starting our play too!

Higher Maths - Ha, well...

Higher Human Biology and Higher French both seem really interesting, really concerned about my mark in SG Biology though :frown:

Higher Chemistry - It's good, but PPA's are unbelievably boring!
Reply 48
Rise_Against

Sorry to burst your bubble pal but in those 20 mark essays, only 6 marks are for factual content. You can write all you like about facts but you're only marked for your first 6. The rest of it comes from your analysis and structure.
Reply 49
_Stephieee
Ah, I'm nearing summer now but I've already done quite a lot in my subjects :smile:

Higher English - half the folio is already done, and we're starting our play too!

Higher Maths - Ha, well...

Higher Human Biology and Higher French both seem really interesting, really concerned about my mark in SG Biology though :frown:

Higher Chemistry - It's good, but PPA's are unbelievably boring!

What play ya doin? :hubba:

Human Biology gets verrrry interesting, wait until unit 2 :biggrin:
Rise_Against

Poor child thinking things are as easy. (Although I never done history :p: )
Ecosse_14

Lucky child, still thinking things are easy. I'm terrified for after the summer when things get really serious, although they're not so bad right now. :P Higher is nasty. :frown:
Reply 52
LuhLah
What play ya doin? :hubba:

Human Biology gets verrrry interesting, wait until unit 2 :biggrin:

The Crucible - Arthur Miller

^ I'm not too keen if I'm honest, did Death of a Salesman for Int 2 and it was murder...

That's good, I really like it :smile:
Reply 53
_Stephieee

^ I'm not too keen if I'm honest, did Death of a Salesman for Int 2 and it was murder...

That was the play we did. It was actually pretty good! There's a lot to write on and plenty of thematic/symbolic crap to get your teeth into. :teeth:

Didn't end up doing it for the exam though :p:
Ecosse_14

I know the highers are going to be really hard but history is my strongest subject and we started the course in january so have alraedy covered about half the course.:smile:

English became very interesting just before the holiday because we were given a book to read called 'three men in a boat' which is the funniest book ive ever read:woo:
_Stephieee

I done this play in 2009, and did it for my exam. You will always get a really good question for it aslong as you know all aspects of it. If you get a question where you can write about the theme of love then it's amazing :biggrin:
Rise_Against
I know the highers are going to be really hard but history is my strongest subject and we started the course in january so have alraedy covered about half the course.:smile:

English became very interesting just before the holiday because we were given a book to read called 'three men in a boat' which is the funniest book ive ever read:woo:

Yeah but you said the essays are out of 20, so if you put in 20 points then that's you sorted when that's not how it works. Surely if you've been doing the course since January you would know this?
Reply 57
Rise_Against

See the thing is, in my opinion highers aren't really that hard. It's just the huge volume of work you get for every subject. Of course they will feel easy now, but don't worry, you'll be stressed out in no time :biggrin:
Reply 58
I wish we started Highers earlier :frown:
Reply 59
Ecosse_14
Yeah but you said the essays are out of 20, so if you put in 20 points then that's you sorted when that's not how it works. Surely if you've been doing the course since January you would know this?

+1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending