The Student Room Group

Just a few basic university questions!

Hi, all being well i will go to university in three years time and i just have a few questions.

1) What is the difference between a 2.1 and 2.4, is it just the same as the diference between a and e at A level??

2) What is the difference between a degree with honours and without honours, what are these honoures?

3) L111 (financial economics) is the course i wish to study, if i take the years placement between years 2 and 3, i get an extra 30 points, is that to push it from a 2.4 to 2.1??

4) What is a first??

Thankyou for the responces.
Reply 1
Do you mean 2.1 as in degree classification? In which case there is no 2.4. The highest degree pass is a first where you achieve over 70% overall, then it is a 2.1 which is 60-60%, a 2.2 is 50-59% while a 2.3, or a third, is 40-49%. Anything lower than 40% is a fail. Your first year results carry no bearing on your overall degree result and I think your second year contributes to a third of your overall mark and your third year is equal to two-thirds of your degree classification.

As far as I know degrees are something like 360 credits overall, but even if you did extra credits it wouldn't really boost your results as it is all an average.

Not too sure about the honours sorry. I had heard that means you have done a dissertation but dunno if this is true.
Reply 2
Roodie
Do you mean 2.1 as in degree classification? In which case there is no 2.4. The highest degree pass is a first where you achieve over 70% overall, then it is a 2.1 which is 60-60%, a 2.2 is 50-59% while a 2.3, or a third, is 40-49%. Anything lower than 40% is a fail. Your first year results carry no bearing on your overall degree result and I think your second year contributes to a third of your overall mark and your third year is equal to two-thirds of your degree classification.

As far as I know degrees are something like 360 credits overall, but even if you did extra credits it wouldn't really boost your results as it is all an average.

Not too sure about the honours sorry. I had heard that means you have done a dissertation but dunno if this is true.

:nope: It's not that. I haven't a clue what it is though...
Reply 3
Roodie

I think the dissertation or not for honours depends on your uni and your subject.

AFAIK an ordinary degree (ie. without honours) is 300 credits and an honours degree is 360 credits

It's definitely much better to go for an honours degree (depending on your subject and whether the job market is competitive) as almost everyone has one of these! If you are struggling to make the grades at honours level you can be offered a "downgrade" to ordinary level (without honours) and I think (but am not sure) that you can only pass or fail that level, there is no first, 2.1 etc classification

To a certain extent it depends on your uni though
hth

Latest

Trending

Trending