The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds BTEC applicant maths test

Hi,
I have been sent an email from the University of Leeds upon applying to their Civil and Environmental Engineering course for the year 2021, saying "All suitable Btec applicants are invited for a maths test and interview which form part of our selection process" does anyone have any information about this maths test and if it challenging or what types of questions they ask, some people are saying that the test doesn’t determine if you get accepted or not. So just wanting some closure on this, Thanks

EDIT:
They sent me an email around 2 weeks prior to the test date which included the main topics that will be on the test which included Algebra, Trigonometry, and Differentiation and also "basic topics such as resolving forces in 2D, finding reactions, etc". They also included a pdf file on the email which they "advise you to read and work through the pdf maths resource to aid your revision". I got accepted and got the response the same day as the test and interview which were both on the same day.

Hopefully, this helps anyone for years to come as it seems they do the same thing every year, any questions drop them down below, good luck :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
I am in the same boat!! How did it go??
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by UnSanitary
I am in the same boat!! How did it go??

Oh good luck, I somehow managed to get an offer "based on the interview and maths test", I guess I'll see you there if you do well. The test was around 4 pages, pdf sent to you by email, then there was an interview after that. When is your test?
Oh i see, a pdf sent to email, wonder how they enforce the entire 30 mins to complete... My tests on this Wednesday coming up and im bricking myself a little bit as i havent done quadratics since year 11 haha. Did they mention a pass rate or if it mattered as a requirement to get in or not? Il hopefully see you there too
Reply 4
Oh i see, a pdf sent to email, wonder how they enforce the entire 30 mins to complete... My tests on this Wednesday coming up and im bricking myself a little bit as i havent done quadratics since year 11 haha. Did they mention a pass rate or if it mattered as a requirement to get in or not? Il hopefully see you there too

So how they do it is they have a call through teams at the start of the day 9 am-ish and they do a register and say what's going to happen, then they email everyone the test at the same time and you have 30 mins and an extra 30 mins to take pictures of your working out and answers and email it to them. Honestly, I was as well haha and nope they didn't mention any pass rate however in the interview they asked about a question I skipped because we were yet to cover it and they said as long as we were going to cover it then it was all they wanted to know. The questions didn't even have how many marks they were next to them. Hopefully, you do well and hope to see you there too.
Original post by mustafa03
So how they do it is they have a call through teams at the start of the day 9 am-ish and they do a register and say what's going to happen, then they email everyone the test at the same time and you have 30 mins and an extra 30 mins to take pictures of your working out and answers and email it to them. Honestly, I was as well haha and nope they didn't mention any pass rate however in the interview they asked about a question I skipped because we were yet to cover it and they said as long as we were going to cover it then it was all they wanted to know. The questions didn't even have how many marks they were next to them. Hopefully, you do well and hope to see you there too.

You have no idea how much scrolling ive done trying to find what you just said, thank you so much. Was it consisting of just the topics they listed in the email? And was it particually hard? Sry for all the questions promise theyre the last ones lol
Reply 6
You have no idea how much scrolling ive done trying to find what you just said, thank you so much. Was it consisting of just the topics they listed in the email? And was it particually hard? Sry for all the questions promise theyre the last ones lol

haha same exact thing here, there was near to no information about the test, hence why I made this post. Also yes it was just consisting of the listed topics under the 3 chapters they said to work on in the maths resource aid, I would say it wasn't particularly hard no mainly just basic questions however there was 1 or 2 I struggled on but as I mentioned earlier they were completely fine with it as long as you had a general understanding of what the question was asking or if you have not yet covered it. You're completely fine no worries and gl :smile:
haha same exact thing here, there was near to no information about the test, hence why I made this post. Also yes it was just consisting of the listed topics under the 3 chapters they said to work on in the maths resource aid, I would say it wasn't particularly hard no mainly just basic questions however there was 1 or 2 I struggled on but as I mentioned earlier they were completely fine with it as long as you had a general understanding of what the question was asking or if you have not yet covered it. You're completely fine no worries and gl :smile:
Hi, I know this a few years old but I just had a question regarding how the test is enforced. Like is it just a call on teams for a quick register then we’re independent to do the test when it’s emailed or is it enforced through a video throughout the entirety of the test?
Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I know this a few years old but I just had a question regarding how the test is enforced. Like is it just a call on teams for a quick register then we’re independent to do the test when it’s emailed or is it enforced through a video throughout the entirety of the test?
Thanks
Hi

I got an email about your post luckily haha,

You all first enter a call on teams with your camera on with the Maths Professor, high chance it’ll be Duncan that’ll do it.

You then register and confirm your attendance and then off call you’ll all receive an email with the exam sent to you at the same time, this gets done with no supervision on call or anything.

You then have a deadline to scan and email it back by and then you get emailed an interview slot time where they’ll go over your answers and ask you how you found it and if there were anything you struggled on etc etc and then a general basic interview for the course.

Really relaxed easy stuff nothing to stress about at all honestly.

Good Luck!
Hi
I got an email about your post luckily haha,
You all first enter a call on teams with your camera on with the Maths Professor, high chance it’ll be Duncan that’ll do it.
You then register and confirm your attendance and then off call you’ll all receive an email with the exam sent to you at the same time, this gets done with no supervision on call or anything.
You then have a deadline to scan and email it back by and then you get emailed an interview slot time where they’ll go over your answers and ask you how you found it and if there were anything you struggled on etc etc and then a general basic interview for the course.
Really relaxed easy stuff nothing to stress about at all honestly.
Good Luck!
Hi
Thank you so much for getting back. I’m feeling a lot more relaxed now about the test as I had been worrying about it for the past few weeks hahaha. I appreciate your time and hopefully see you at Leeds if you are still there.

Quick Reply

Latest