The Student Room Group

Help choosing A level options

Hey :smile:

I have to choose my A level options but am finding it really hard please help :smile: In the future I would like to do law, psychology or journalism but not completely sure...also which are more respected? which are more enjoyable?

I would like to do 4 or 5 AS levels and I'm considering the following:
-english combined language & literature
-history
-maths
-biology
-economics
-law
-psychology

thanks
Reply 1
If journalism, definitely English. Would also suggest History and Maths as it shows logical thinking. :smile:
Reply 2
Considering you want do law or journalism...i would definatley recommend taking english!! thats a well respected A level
as well as that...i would say the following:
history
economics
maths (only because its respecatble...and only do it if your good at it!)
and a science....biology, chemistry or physics....depending which one your good at

i would advise you not to take law because many universities don't treat it as highly as something like english!! and also, i wouldn't pick psychology if i were you!! sooo many people pick psychology...and again, its one of those subjects which is only respected by some univeristies!!

hope this helps a bit :biggrin:
Reply 3
do english (for law and journalism), either biology or psychology, or even both (for psychology)
definitely do them. even if you don't do any of what is listed above, they'll keep your options open.
It may be useful to do Law, just to see if you actually would enjoy it, and maths would also open some doors.
History would be good for law too.

Really, they're all good, make sure you pick what you will enjoy and do well at.
Lu <3

I have to choose my A level options but am finding it really hard please help :smile: In the future I would like to do law, psychology or journalism but not completely sure...also which are more respected? which are more enjoyable?

-history
-maths
-biology
-economics
-law
-psychology

thanks

Law/Psychology/Journalism.

In that case:

English Literature, History, Biology, Maths.

I am not too sure if Psychology BSc requires Chemistry - you may want to look into that tbh. :yep:
english, history, maths, economics. no need to do 5.
Reply 6
Lu <3

-history
-maths
-biology
-economics
-law
-psychology

thanks

English combined, History, Maths, Biology/Psycology/Economics?

I would personally choose this combination as it would any of the listed uni courses you have given :smile:
Reply 7
Find out about which texts you will be studying for English before you choose it as an AS if you're not fantastic at it, its a different to GCSE. I took it as an AS and I want to do law, revising for it is very difficult, its a subject you can either do really well in or really not well. Law universities prefer people who do a mix of science related subjects and essay subjects not just people who do all essay subs. hope this helps.
Reply 8
thanks for the help :smile: x

Latest