The Student Room Group

ALDI Area Management programme

Hi

Anyone have any suggestions on this graduate programme...

>> Starting Salary = £37000
>> Company car = Audi A4 Fully expensed
>> Progression to area manager managing several stores after a year then possibility of becoming a director within 5 years with pay of 53K!

What I want to know is... If I join this and say after 3 years I do an MBA, can I get into IBs or what are my career opportunities with this?

Any suggestions or comments on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A director only gets £53k? :confused: Apart from that it looks like a good job :wink:
Reply 2
Well im not entirely sure that you get 53 as a director as the website says progressing to 53! Does anyone know how much tax I would have to pay on 37k?
Reply 3
I think thats still the normal tax bracket not the upper one
My housemate (ex - we're graduates now) started this job in July.

He's been working his b*lls off but it really is 37k and a 2005 shape Audi A4 2.0 Tdi :smile: First week is spent on the checkouts too, which is quite amusing given you'd be earning 4 times anyone else around you by this stage :P :P

I wouldn't look at Aldi as a doorway into iBanking. It's more of a 4 year interview to become a company director, at which point you will start raking it in.

If you can't get directly into iBanking then you're probably not good enough. The only route i'd consider as acceptible is middle market advisory services. This is the SAME as ibanking however on smaller deals. I did this with KPMG as they had sponsored me through uni (after a gap year) as it was much more chilled than iBanking.

Indeed, upon leaving uni I setup my own business in property :P
Reply 5
Dont directors get more than 53k though? :confused:
Reply 6
Directors, in the proper sense, are board members who are renumerated, rather than salaried, according to the levels voted at the AGM by shareholders.

I suspect Aldi mean something slightly different by it. The publicised rate is £53k, although I'm not sure if what they consider a director is quite as high up as your imagining.
Reply 7
SmarterHousing
My housemate (ex - we're graduates now) started this job in July.

He's been working his b*lls off but it really is 37k and a 2005 shape Audi A4 2.0 Tdi :smile: First week is spent on the checkouts too, which is quite amusing given you'd be earning 4 times anyone else around you by this stage :P :P

I wouldn't look at Aldi as a doorway into iBanking. It's more of a 4 year interview to become a company director, at which point you will start raking it in.

If you can't get directly into iBanking then you're probably not good enough. The only route i'd consider as acceptible is middle market advisory services. This is the SAME as ibanking however on smaller deals. I did this with KPMG as they had sponsored me through uni (after a gap year) as it was much more chilled than iBanking.

Indeed, upon leaving uni I setup my own business in property :P

Hi

Just out of curiosity, is it difficult to get onto this? What grades did you housemate have at uni in, what uni and what A level grades?

Tej
That's a really great offer by Aldi for graduates, imo.
Reply 9
Aldi has been around in Germany for years and they are very strong here. They are known to pick people from their own ranks for nearly all jobs. Everyone is paid well, even the people at the checkout and they get trained for a year. Here they want people to stay with the company many years, preferably eve lifelong, so they give incentives.
The only down-side is, being affiliated with Aldi and spending time in the stores. :frown:
He actually got a 3rd class degree in Economics :smile:

In addition, the decision panel didn't think he would fit in at Aldi as he is exceptionally "rah rah", however he did a blinding job of convincing them it meant nothing.

Just goes to show gimps with good grades are less useful than people with character.

On the director note - you'll actually see 200k minimum, so i'm not sure where you have the 53k figure from.
To fully answer your question -

Warwick Uni
3rd class Economics
ABB at A level

Don't quote me on the A Levels, though!

It's actually a very hard position to get imo. Despite having a 3rd, Paul, my housemate, also got an interview for "The Apprentice" season 2 in the same week, but had to decline due to Aldi being a more sensible choice.
Reply 13
BAEconyr3
Hi

Anyone have any suggestions on this graduate programme...

>> Starting Salary = £37000
>> Company car = Audi A4 Fully expensed
>> Progression to area manager managing several stores after a year then possibility of becoming a director within 5 years with pay of 53K!

What I want to know is... If I join this and say after 3 years I do an MBA, can I get into IBs or what are my career opportunities with this?

Any suggestions or comments on this?

There.
Reply 14
Would A levels BBC and C AS and a high 2.1 in Economics from manchester and Msc in International business and management be enough to get on you rekon?
BAEconyr3
Would A levels BBC and C AS and a high 2.1 in Economics from manchester and Msc in International business and management be enough to get on you rekon?

The degree should obviously hold more weight, no harm in applying. :biggrin:
LOL - that's not the most reliable of sources.

Especially when that's the quote im challenging :smile:

I wouldn't worry about the degree with Aldi as they do their training from the ground up. You won't be allowed near anything until you've done a week's till training in store!
Where is this based? I bet it's not in London! Good money and prospects, but I think most people would prefer IB - I think I would.
It's based all over the UK and Europe.

Without experience of either job, why would you prefer IB? :smile:

It's one of the rare jackpots people don't tend to look at because it is with a company generally associated with being 'cheap'.
Why do I think I would prefer IB? From what I have read, and from what friends who work in IB have told me, it seems to align with my interests and expectations nicely. It is well-paid (potentially far more so than the ALDI job), prestigious (certainly more so than the ALDI job), exciting and dynamic (probably more so than the ALDI job) and you are surrounded by lots of the smartest young people in the country which makes for an exciting atmosphere.

I feel that a lot of people will be put off by working for a (seemingly) boring and unimportant company like ALDI - hence the disproportinate wage-structure, which - in my opinion - is used as a form of compensation to entice good applicants who would otherwise be apathetic/disinterested about/in working there.

I think that you wouldn't get the same levels of excitement and satisfaction at ALDI, because the atmosphere and work are so different to those at an IB. That said, I don't have any experience of either so it's just my opinion.

Latest

Trending

Trending