The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That is in essence my point to you - it's interesting you have this opinion, as do many others, because it leaves jobs like Aldi there for the taking.

I have to say in relation to the stress of IB, and the seriously high risk of either dropping out or being axed in a downturn (unless of course you happen to be into shorting, in which case you're laughing) it's a fairly decent job.

Aldi are a massive company, so the only place you'd get looked down upon is when handing your business cards out to young ladies in China White. At least with iBanking (and I call upon some experience here), you can pull off "Mergers and Acquisitions" as you being into buying and selling companies :smile: :smile: Ah the joy of good looking, poorly spoken, China White clientelle :P
Reply 21
Clarkey_Berlin
Why do I think I would prefer IB? From what I have read, and from what friends who work in IB have told me, it seems to align with my interests and expectations nicely. It is well-paid (potentially far more so than the ALDI job), prestigious (certainly more so than the ALDI job), exciting and dynamic (probably more so than the ALDI job) and you are surrounded by lots of the smartest young people in the country which makes for an exciting atmosphere.

I feel that a lot of people will be put off by working for a (seemingly) boring and unimportant company like ALDI - hence the disproportinate wage-structure, which - in my opinion - is used as a form of compensation to entice good applicants who would otherwise be apathetic/disinterested about/in working there.

I think that you wouldn't get the same levels of excitement and satisfaction at ALDI, because the atmosphere and work are so different to those at an IB. That said, I don't have any experience of either so it's just my opinion.

well said

however, you don't know..... the Aldi job may carry a lot more job satisfaction with being able to have some sort of social life, as well as not having to work in the City every day

it is pretty clear though that Aldi are trying to attract some decent talent, but am unsure as to how people might expect to be earning IB wages after two years.....
Reply 22
SmarterHousing
That is in essence my point to you - it's interesting you have this opinion, as do many others, because it leaves jobs like Aldi there for the taking.

I have to say in relation to the stress of IB, and the seriously high risk of either dropping out or being axed in a downturn (unless of course you happen to be into shorting, in which case you're laughing) it's a fairly decent job.

Aldi are a massive company, so the only place you'd get looked down upon is when handing your business cards out to young ladies in China White. At least with iBanking (and I call upon some experience here), you can pull off "Mergers and Acquisitions" as you being into buying and selling companies :smile: :smile: Ah the joy of good looking, poorly spoken, China White clientelle :P

its one of the many alternatives to IB..... like being a plumber.....

starting salaries in the City are pretty low compared to what you get after a couple of years because the demand for these jobs is massive - its after about 18months that your pay will start rocketing if you're doing well

there's just no comparison between the two really - if being in sales and working around the country rocks your boat, then go for it, if high stress and high pay rocks your boat then go for IB

I really can't see why someone is considering either Aldi or Goldmans - surely they're so different that it suggests that this person really doesn't have a clue what he wants to do......
Reply 23
Yep u got me there, im not too sure what I want to do as yet! It is very silly of people at the age of 20 or so to decide for certain that they want to get into M&A for example!!! WTF you hardly have any experience and just because you have read about it, doesn't mean that you will def. enjoy it, you will only find out once ur in there!

In my opinion, at the age of 20 or 21 when you are deciding to embark on a career, one should be flexible and open minded to what he/she can do! It is very stupid of people to say, yeh I want to be an investment banker as im passionate about it blah blah blah! This is in turn bullsh*t! They just want to get into it for the money and most don't even know what its all about except what they have read. How can you know for certain you want to get into this without having worked there for a while! The smarter lot will say,,, I want a career that will provide me with a good salary, a good pension and other perks and since I enjoy finance, an option would be IB... rather than,., I def. wanna get into Ibanking as I love finance! lol Come on ppl, keep your options open as we are all young here, we have the potential to do anything so why limit yourself?

Latest

Trending

Trending