The Student Room Group

Oh dear!!! [Driving mistake]

I was on the road the other day it was around 9:30-10:00 in the morning and there was a woman with a pushchair who was at the traffic lights waiting to cross, the lights were amber so i stopped. I notticed there was a new subway shop opended on the corner and was thinking of what sandwich to get it must have been around half a minute gone since the traffic lights had stopped then i rememberd the woman had finished crossing ages ago so i put the car into gear then drove off. about 2 seconds later after just moving off i relised what the hell i just did the lights were red. I had thought that it was a zebra crossing for a second im so p****d of with myself i cant believe it i felt like bieng sick i still am thinking of it. I just passed in march first time with only 2 minors and im always carefull never have i been stoped by police or anything else like that.
What do you reckon will happen to me im s**t nervous thinking about it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't worry
I've nearly crashed lots of times!
Count yourself lucky and learn from your mistake.
Gain Closure and concentrate on the rest of your driving career!
Reply 2
Were you get flashed by cameras or did you crash? If neither happened then it's very likely nothing will happen.
Reply 3
Nearly everyone's done it, sometimes not accidently! Don't worry about it.
Reply 4
Bloody hell, I had visions of you knocking this woman and her baby over! Although, I figured if you had you wouldn't be making a thread on it now so that we could comment on it!

*panic attack over*
Reply 5
I see the name of the thread has changed
heehee
Reply 6
i never had an accident and i dont seem to recall a flash
i doubt anything will happen. unless there was a gatso lookin camera pointing towards the lights, or a cop car around (altho he would have stopped you straight away). you should be safe
Reply 8
a gatso is a camera like this? http://www.nationalsafetycameras.co.uk/nscl/hints/fixed_cameras/gatso%20camera%20b.jpg

If so then im 99% sure there isnt one in that area although there was a camera type on thing on the trafic light
mafakuza
a gatso is a camera like this? http://www.nationalsafetycameras.co.uk/nscl/hints/fixed_cameras/gatso%20camera%20b.jpg

If so then im 99% sure there isnt one in that area although there was a camera type on thing on the trafic light

yup. if there facing a traffic light, there more likely to flash when you go thru the light. altho some can get you for speedin. your probably safe anyway. give it another few weeks and if youve heard nothin then good
Reply 10
the traffic light camers look slightly different- narrower body and usually are grey in colour.

If you have been done by a traffic light camera then good luck- insurers really don't like it when you're done for running reds :frown:
Reply 11
themesong
Don't worry
I've nearly crashed lots of times!

I think if you have nearly crashed lots of times, then it is time to worry?

Edit stop scaring the poor bloke about red light cams. I havent even seen one yet but then I never drive in inner london.
Haha I have a good story about getting off with red light tickets.

My wife's boss and his girlfriend drive to work and home every day to the city. They randomly take turns driving, no set pattern. Their vehicle was flashed by a red light camera one day and they received a Notice of Intended Prosecution, requesting the name of the person driving the vehicle at the indicated time. They weren't able to conclusively say, so they let it go to court. They told the magistrates that they didn't know who was driving at the time and explained their situation. They were allowed to get away with it so long as they make a record of who drives the car when in the future.

Can you believe that!?! They were extremely lucky, as usually the responsibility for the ticket lies with the registered keeper of the vehicle if the driver is not able to be identified.

Anyway, yes those box things that sit directly on the top of the traffic lights are not cameras - I think they're sensors so that the traffic light controller knows whether there are cars waiting at the lights or not. Red Light Cameras are like speed cameras but half the width, and often plain grey (i.e. not highlighted luminously) and sit next to the light, so that they capture a picture of the rear of your vehicle when you enter the junction after passing the light at red.
Reply 13
I was on the road the other day it was around 9:30-10:00 in the morning and there was a woman with a pushchair who was at the traffic lights waiting to cross, the lights were amber so i stopped. I notticed there was a new subway shop opended on the corner and was thinking of what sandwich to get it must have been around half a minute gone since the traffic lights had stopped then i rememberd the woman had finished crossing ages ago so i put the car into gear then drove off. about 2 seconds later after just moving off i relised what the hell i just did the lights were red. I had thought that it was a zebra crossing for a second im so p****d of with myself i cant believe it i felt like bieng sick i still am thinking of it. I just passed in march first time with only 2 minors and im always carefull never have i been stoped by police or anything else like that.

You really need to lighten up im afraid. If everyone got so worked up about stupid little things like this im sure we'd have all topped ourselves by now.
That is nothing really - I have parked my car ontop of a mates foot for a laugh not realising there was a cop on the other side of the road, and he saw it, gave me a look and drove off.

I have also put my car in the air several times and driven it round town on 2 wheels and drifted round corners!!!

Then again, 7 years of racing karts, 3 years of driving a minibus off the road and a year of illegal street racing does sort of help with car control!

And I have never crashed my car, and I only obey the speed limit where there is a cop car (marked or unmarked) or a camera, otherwise I go about 10mph over!!!!
Kingspharm

Anyway, yes those box things that sit directly on the top of the traffic lights are not cameras - I think they're sensors so that the traffic light controller knows whether there are cars waiting at the lights or not. Red Light Cameras are like speed cameras but half the width, and often plain grey (i.e. not highlighted luminously) and sit next to the light, so that they capture a picture of the rear of your vehicle when you enter the junction after passing the light at red.

around my area, its a gatso sized camera used for red lights, just it doesnt have road markings and so far ive never seen it flash if someone speeds thru it

the boxes ontop of the lights are detectors so it knows if there is traffic. altho they can use sensors in the roads instead.
The Canadian
And I have never crashed my car, and I only obey the speed limit where there is a cop car (marked or unmarked) or a camera, otherwise I go about 10mph over!!!!

:top: That's the way, there ain't no speed limit unless there's a camera or a cop (or traffic :frown: )
oh yeah - most i have gone over the limit is 25mph - 45 in a 20 zone, hit a speed bump and launched my car in the air :biggrin:
Reply 18
mafakuza

its better than driving through a red light and not even noticing my mate in the car said u do know uve just gon through red right? i didnt even spot the lights luckily there was no trafic around, i rekon i would've spotted them though if there was trafic on the side roads
Reply 19
will i get any points on my liscence

Latest

Trending

Trending