The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
KrAZy_MoNkeY
I can't live without the internet!

Surely they would have laid down the cabling right at the begining of the construction, which might mean they just need to set up the actual connection to the exchange which means it should only take a few days at most!

these are the people who said the buildings would be done by august though!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Dear Resident

Welcome to the University of Leeds, you have received this email because you have requested accommodation within one of the University’s residences that offers a network connection, please take some time to read the following information as it will prove useful to you when connecting to the residence network.

If this email has been sent to you by mistake, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The service differs from a broadband connection in that you are sharing a network with other residents, the bandwidth allocation is managed but this could cause problems if you have not secured your computer, please ensure you have the following before connection:

Up to date Anti-virus software installed.
You operating system has the latest security patches installed.
Your computer is protected with a strong password
You have installed a firewall

We provide all students with a support CD on arrival at Leeds that contains software to help you protect your computer including a copy of Mcafee Anti-virus, which you can use as part of the University’s site license while a student of the University. If you require any further assistance, the ISS helpdesk is on hand to provide advice and support.

As part of the registration process for the residence network, a self-help web page also contains software that you can download to help protect your computer.

In order to gain access to the network, you will require your ISS username and password. Your username will be given to you when you register and is recorded on your student card, you will then need to visit one of the University’s computer clusters on campus to get your password.

If you have any queries or concerns, please contact the ISS helpdesk on the details below or contact me on the email address below.

ISS Helpdesk

Level 10, Edward Boyle Library

Tel: 0113 343 3333

Email: [email protected]

Web page http://www.leeds.ac.uk/iss/helpdesk/

May I take this opportunity to wish you an enjoyable stay with us in Leeds.

Simon Mulholland

Residential Network Coordinator

Information System Services

Email: [email protected]
Reply 42
KrAZy_MoNkeY
I can't live without the internet!

Surely they would have laid down the cabling right at the begining of the construction, which might mean they just need to set up the actual connection to the exchange which means it should only take a few days at most!

Unless someone forgot to put the cables in :P
Reply 43
i got that email too.. i question where they got my email from? did we give it with accomodation form.. sur;y it's not related to leodis thing?
Reply 44
you will get an internet connection. Don't ask me when but they have set things up ready for a router for all the new buildings. Although like everything else it has been delayed.
well we might have a few things delayed for a few days, not ideal but so what there obviously planning on reimbursing us for the days rent! iv found one simple coping strategy i think everyone should use, keep saying to yourself 'COULD BE WORSE COULD BE IN OXLEY!!!' hee hee only joking oxley peeps lol :biggrin:
Reply 46
Soapysudds1
well we might have a few things delayed for a few days, not ideal but so what there obviously planning on reimbursing us for the days rent! iv found one simple coping strategy i think everyone should use, keep saying to yourself 'COULD BE WORSE COULD BE IN OXLEY!!!' hee hee only joking oxley peeps lol :biggrin:

yah i dont care about internet providing it's sorted within the month or so.. eventually i may wish to talk to ppl back gome once free mins gone! :P but wud be rather annoyed if they choose not to reimburse us.. it's good they do for the day u cant be there that uve paid for... but we're also paying full price when we dont have full features.. i sense im gonna be causing problems soon :wink:
Reply 47
Soapysudds1
'COULD BE WORSE COULD BE IN OXLEY!!!' hee hee only joking oxley peeps lol :biggrin:
isnt oxley though meant to be really nice?
becke
isnt oxley though meant to be really nice?

I thought so! :biggrin: :cool:

:tsr:
Reply 49
Will we be reimbursed for the internet connexion delay? Not to sound obsessed, but we have paid for it and all within the accommodation price.
Northumbrian
Will we be reimbursed for the internet connexion delay? Not to sound obsessed, but we have paid for it and all within the accommodation price.

Yeah we will be reimbursed for it, although I can't imagine it'd be very much. Maybe a one week delay would put about a £10 credit on our accounts, lol :biggrin:
Reply 51
That's 3 pints of cider and a couple of packets of crips! :wink:
Reply 52
Northumbrian

really? like £3 a cider? lol.. is like £2 a pint here (ranges from 1.85 to 2.35 i think in our local spoons)
Northumbrian

Lol, never mind ay! :cool:
Still, a week tomorrow we'll be all moved-in! :biggrin:
yes oxley is meant to be nice, just a joke eh
Reply 55
really? like £3 a cider? lol.. is like £2 a pint here (ranges from 1.85 to 2.35 i think in our local spoons)
Bah ok then 4 pints and one packet of crips! :smile:

Cider used to be about 1.90 in my local pubs (which aren't local to me) but then about a year ago they all went to practically the same as beer. I'd say it averages 2.20 in Newcastle.
ugh beer n cider ming, although john smiths smooth is semi-weirdly-nice
Northumbrian
Bah ok then 4 pints and one packet of crips! :smile:

Cider used to be about 1.90 in my local pubs (which aren't local to me) but then about a year ago they all went to practically the same as beer. I'd say it averages 2.20 in Newcastle.

Aye pretty much say here, unless you go down the Red Lion where it's £1.30 for a Carlsberg all day Monday > Friday :biggrin:
Reply 58
ugh beer n cider ming, although john smiths smooth is semi-weirdly-nice
Hold thy tongue foul wench! *Sorry* I just love cider :wink: I used to hate beer but went on holidat to Turkey this year and couldn't go without drinking so I had it and it wasn't bad. Local Lager Efes was particularly nice.

Aye pretty much say here, unless you go down the Red Lion where it's £1.30 for a Carlsberg all day Monday > Friday
A case of pissed by tea time lol.
Northumbrian
A case of pissed by tea time lol.

Hehe, oh it's all night too like! :cool:
Quality!

Latest