The Student Room Group
Hey there :smile:

I will first say I am only 16, and have no obvious physical information to give you regarding universities and such, as i have not been as yet :smile:

I will however give you some advice with the information i have collected so far, as i too want to be an occupational therapist, due to family friends and family members being involved with this profession, and me taking an immediate liking to it :smile:

Occupational therapy is not really SUPPOSED to be a painfully brain wrecking job, its a vocational career, therefore you dont need brain surgeon like academia. You really need to ask yourself, would i be happier in a profession where i would have human contact each day, where i would enrichen and help people at least once per day, which can be mentally and physically tiring at times, or would i prefer a higher paying job where my skills and knowledge are pushed to their extremes each day, however, will probably lack in the human contact department?

I would suggest shadowing an occupational therapist, or taking a look at some websites such as:
http://www.cot.org.uk/Homepage/About_Occupational_Therapy/Occupational_therapy_explained/

Physio-therapy is a very similar job, however, If im not mistaken, I think you need BBB or above? This career is obviously a bit more challenging if you need higher overall UCAS points to get onto a course, Its all about knowing how the body works, bones, muscles, tendons, and other shizz :P, PT's mainly focus on aiding pain and pain management to different sorts of people, and "mending" their physical state back to health, wheras OT's focus mainly on how a patient is feeling, how you could improve thier quality of life long term, and how to heal their mental state/feelings for the better.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me, as i say, Im only 16, but Ive spent many hours researching OT as a whole, aswell as questioning family friends about their day to day goings on with the job itself :smile: Good luck on whatever you decide x
Hi, i am going to be starting OT this year and need ccc but what you need will often depend on the uni as i also had offers of AAB and BBA but in the end i went for the uni that i liked the feel of best despite that having lower grades. it doesn't necessary matter what you are capable and off and choosing a course based on this is it is more important to choose something that you want to do and will enjoy.
Hi,

I've just completed the first year of my Occupational Therapy B.Sc. at Brunel and made it into the second year (phew!). I wouldn't worry about not being challenged by the course, it's academically very challenging and Placements 2, 3 and 4 are supposed to be physically quite tough as well.

I am a mature student and I had to do an Access to Healthcare course to be accepted onto the degree. The Access course was very demanding but was excellent preparation. I'm sure the O.T. degrees at other universities are equally as demanding, they all have to meet the same standard.

If you get CCC then i'm sure you'll be O.K. but expect to have to work damn hard when you reach uni. If you get As or Bs then you'll probably do just fine. The workload during the first year of the degree was immense, the first term in particular being a baptism of fire. Quite a few of my fellow students failed various assignments and/or exams and will have to redo them and resit exams in August to make it to second year. Quite a few of them are not expected to return next year. From last year, I learned that around 50 out of 120 students did not make it into second year.

That should give you an idea of the demands of the course. It's demanding because they have to cram so much into 3 years and also because you have to achieve a certain standard of competency before you can register and practice.
Reply 4
Eisenhorn's Ferret
Hi,

I've just completed the first year of my Occupational Therapy B.Sc. at Brunel and made it into the second year (phew!). I wouldn't worry about not being challenged by the course, it's academically very challenging and Placements 2, 3 and 4 are supposed to be physically quite tough as well.

I am a mature student and I had to do an Access to Healthcare course to be accepted onto the degree. The Access course was very demanding but was excellent preparation. I'm sure the O.T. degrees at other universities are equally as demanding, they all have to meet the same standard.

If you get CCC then i'm sure you'll be O.K. but expect to have to work damn hard when you reach uni. If you get As or Bs then you'll probably do just fine. The workload during the first year of the degree was immense, the first term in particular being a baptism of fire. Quite a few of my fellow students failed various assignments and/or exams and will have to redo them and resit exams in August to make it to second year. Quite a few of them are not expected to return next year. From last year, I learned that around 50 out of 120 students did not make it into second year.

That should give you an idea of the demands of the course. It's demanding because they have to cram so much into 3 years and also because you have to achieve a certain standard of competency before you can register and practice.

hiya i was wondering if you recommend the ot course at brunel and was wondering if you knew what the job opportunities are like?

Latest