The Student Room Group

What you wish you'd been told before coming to Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Incarnadine91
This probably isn't very important but I thought I'd ask anyway: how useful is a bike, would you say? Because although I've got one, I'm terrified of riding it... I'm working on that fear at the moment, but I wondered whether it was relatively essential or whether I don't have to worry too much.

Thank you!

I can't ride a bike and got through the three years just walking everywhere. That said, if you're going to Catz you might get more confident riding it (or maybe the Catz Music students in my year were a bit lazier :biggrin: ) :yes:
Reply 181
It's a small city, so stuff is walkable. But I'd say having a bike reduced my journey times by about 50%, so it's up to you.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
I can't ride a bike and got through the three years just walking everywhere. That said, if you're going to Catz you might get more confident riding it (or maybe the Catz Music students in my year were a bit lazier :biggrin:) :yes:

Well we are at the end of a nice long straight road, so I guess that lends itself to riding :biggrin:

Angelil
It's a small city, so stuff is walkable. But I'd say having a bike reduced my journey times by about 50%, so it's up to you.

That's good to know, thanks. I think I'll carry on with my practice (it's better that I make sure I can ride without crashing anyway) but I might wait a term or two before I bring it into the big bad city. Walking'll do :wink:
Clements-
I can't remember for the life of me how I became one of your favourite people but cool. What college are you at by the way? I start there in October.

Brasenose. Going into 4th year.
I don't suppose any Englishers or Modern Linguists might happen to have any "Oh, I wish I had xyz, you should definitely xyz as I didn't/did and that's why I'm so damn awesome" comments to contribute? :smile:
Reply 185
Incarnadine91
This probably isn't very important but I thought I'd ask anyway: how useful is a bike, would you say? Because although I've got one, I'm terrified of riding it... :o: I'm working on that fear at the moment, but I wondered whether it was relatively essential or whether I don't have to worry too much.

Thank you! :yep:

I have this problem too! Also going to Catz in October, and cycling into town would be so much quicker! But cycling is scary, I'm not used to ridiing on the roads... :s-smilie:
Emma-91
I have this problem too! Also going to Catz in October, and cycling into town would be so much quicker! But cycling is scary, I'm not used to ridiing on the roads... :s-smilie:

Haha, oh lordy yes. Would it be weird, do you think, to cycle the quiet bits and then get off and push when you get to the centre with all the cars? :rolleyes:

*highfives Catz person*
Reply 187
Incarnadine91
Haha, oh lordy yes. Would it be weird, do you think, to cycle the quiet bits and then get off and push when you get to the centre with all the cars? :rolleyes:

*highfives Catz person*

Haha I'm sure we could do that to start with, just while we get used to it!

*returns high-five* :biggrin:
Reply 188
I'm at Corpus and didn't use a bike during my first year, though I am taking one this year as I'm living a bit further out. St Catherine's isn't far from the Law Bod (which I go to a lot!) so believe me when I say that it won't be a huge inconvenience to walk everywhere: you can cut down holywell street and be at the corner of Broad street within just a few minutes from the Law Bod, so it won't be much more from Catz!
Reply 189
I rowed and had lectures at 9 and didn't have a bike last year. I'll need one this year though.
Reply 190
What should we, the latest batch of chemists watch out for? :o:
Turdburger
Brasenose. Going into 4th year.

Ah, I almost applied there.
Reply 192
mf2004
I rowed and had lectures at 9 and didn't have a bike last year. I'll need one this year though.

Did you row for your college or...? And approx how much time a week did it take up? I'm seriously considering signing up when I start this year, but I don't want to be overwhelmed by workload. :dontknow:
Reply 193
At least Oxford doesn't really have roundabouts. My town is packed full of them which is why I always have to get off the road at various points when cycling.

I also console myself with the knowledge motorists in Oxford will be used to cyclists (unlike my town where it's all "get off the ******* road" ect)
Reply 194
Aaymee
Did you row for your college or...? And approx how much time a week did it take up? I'm seriously considering signing up when I start this year, but I don't want to be overwhelmed by workload. :dontknow:

yup college, you have to be a beast and have rowed for ages to row for the Blue boat, rowing for the lightweights in your second year is feasible even if you have never rowed before you get to ox.
we had 4 outings + 2 (I think) land sessions a week in Trinity (outings are around 2 hours land session an hour).
I doubt they'll go all crazy with training sessions for the beginning of MT.
It's definitely possible to juggle work, social life, and rowing + a few other things on top of this I had no bike which means I wasted loads of time walking places.
I'd say: sign up and if you don't like it/find you don't have time, then stop or you could start rowing in HT (don't it will put you off for life :biggrin: rowing when it's snowing is not fun) or TT (I know a few people who did this and they really liked it)

As a general rule: sign up to everything that's possible and then cut back. I signed up to I think about 9 or 10 things in total and ended up only doing about 3 of them.

AisAis
At least Oxford doesn't really have roundabouts. My town is packed full of them which is why I always have to get off the road at various points when cycling.

I also console myself with the knowledge motorists in Oxford will be used to cyclists (unlike my town where it's all "get off the ******* road" ect)

Cowley roundabout: so many stories :lolwut: :s:
Reply 195
mf2004
yup college, you have to be a beast and have rowed for ages to row for the Blue boat, rowing for the lightweights in your second year is feasible even if you have never rowed before you get to ox.
we had 4 outings + 2 (I think) land sessions a week in Trinity (outings are around 2 hours land session an hour).
I doubt they'll go all crazy with training sessions for the beginning of MT.
It's definitely possible to juggle work, social life, and rowing + a few other things on top of this I had no bike which means I wasted loads of time walking places.
I'd say: sign up and if you don't like it/find you don't have time, then stop or you could start rowing in HT (don't it will put you off for life :biggrin: rowing when it's snowing is not fun) or TT (I know a few people who did this and they really liked it)

As a general rule: sign up to everything that's possible and then cut back. I signed up to I think about 9 or 10 things in total and ended up only doing about 3 of them.

Cowley roundabout: so many stories :lolwut: :s:

Well is it in Cowley? Hopefully I won't have to use it as I'll live in college for 3 years.
On the subject of roundabouts, I wish someone had bloody well explained to me exactly how many roundabouts there are on the X5 route! I didn't even go past Milton Keynes and there were too many! :nopity:
Reply 197
AisAis
Well is it in Cowley? Hopefully I won't have to use it as I'll live in college for 3 years.

it's on the other side of magdalen bridge. You'll use it if you want to go to the uni sports centre (gym, swimming pool, loads of other stuff) And depending where your boathouse is if you row you'll use it. Oh and Cowley is amazing and it's got TESCO
Reply 198
Oh dear. I can drive, but I don't actually know what lane your meant to go in if you're cycling.
mf2004
it's on the other side of magdalen bridge. You'll use it if you want to go to the uni sports centre (gym, swimming pool, loads of other stuff) And depending where your boathouse is if you row you'll use it. Oh and Cowley is amazing and it's got TESCO

:yep: :woo: :yep: :awesome: :yep: :woo: :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending