The Student Room Group

What you wish you'd been told before coming to Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by KingMessi
Can I ask how the exam system works for English students? I've heard of 'Collections': are they just at the start of Michaelmas or at the start of every term? What are 'Prelims'? And what's the format for summer exams?

Collections are sat at the start of every term (except Michaelmas when you first come up, and usually any terms following on from when you've sat more formal exams). Prelims are the exams most students sit in Trinity of their first year (although Classicists and Lawyers sit Mods at different times). I couldn't comment on the specific structure of the exams, nor how many you do.
Can I ask how the exam system works for English students? I've heard of 'Collections': are they just at the start of Michaelmas or at the start of every term? What are 'Prelims'? And what's the format for summer exams?

Collections are at the start of every term - they're essentially a mock of the paper you did last term, to make sure you understood it/did some work over the holidays. They don't set them if you were examined the previous term, for obvious reasons. it's a good way to know where you stand on a particular topic in exam conditions and get feedback, but they don't matter too much in most colleges other than you'll get what-for from your tutors if you fail. Prelims (or 'Mods' in some subjects) are your first year exams, which determine whether you continue into second year but otherwise don't count towards your degree. Finals are the ones that matter, and they can either be spread out over the next two years or all in your third year, according to subject. I can't say for sure what the structure of English papers are but most essay-based exams tend to be three hours long - you'll be given all the relevant information well in advance, don't worry.

Hope that helps!

Should be pretty much the same across the board, but I'm not an English student.

Collections = at the start of every term. You won't do any when you first come up to Oxford, but every term in which you learnt something new but weren't examined on it should warrant a collection at the beginning of the following term. If that makes sense.

Prelims (although they may well be Mods for English students?) are at the end of your first year. They're central university exams, whereas Collections are just set by your college. You have to pass them to get back in, although failing English will be difficult and what you get has no effect on your final grade. There is also little correlation between Prelims results and finals.

Finals are at the end of third year. English have already finished - they finished on Tuesday of 5th week this year. My housemate finished before I started, the **** :emo: An English-er may help with subject-specific stuff, but I think that's pretty much it.
Original post by pinkpenguin
Should be pretty much the same across the board, but I'm not an English student.

Collections = at the start of every term. You won't do any when you first come up to Oxford, but every term in which you learnt something new but weren't examined on it should warrant a collection at the beginning of the following term. If that makes sense.

Prelims (although they may well be Mods for English students?) are at the end of your first year. They're central university exams, whereas Collections are just set by your college. You have to pass them to get back in, although failing English will be difficult and what you get has no effect on your final grade. There is also little correlation between Prelims results and finals.

Finals are at the end of third year. English have already finished - they finished on Tuesday of 5th week this year. My housemate finished before I started, the **** :emo: An English-er may help with subject-specific stuff, but I think that's pretty much it.

Original post by Incarnadine91
Collections are at the start of every term - they're essentially a mock of the paper you did last term, to make sure you understood it/did some work over the holidays. They don't set them if you were examined the previous term, for obvious reasons. it's a good way to know where you stand on a particular topic in exam conditions and get feedback, but they don't matter too much in most colleges other than you'll get what-for from your tutors if you fail. Prelims (or 'Mods' in some subjects) are your first year exams, which determine whether you continue into second year but otherwise don't count towards your degree. Finals are the ones that matter, and they can either be spread out over the next two years or all in your third year, according to subject. I can't say for sure what the structure of English papers are but most essay-based exams tend to be three hours long - you'll be given all the relevant information well in advance, don't worry.

Hope that helps!

Original post by Bax-man
Collections are sat at the start of every term (except Michaelmas when you first come up, and usually any terms following on from when you've sat more formal exams). Prelims are the exams most students sit in Trinity of their first year (although Classicists and Lawyers sit Mods at different times). I couldn't comment on the specific structure of the exams, nor how many you do.

Thanks a lot, guys: it's much appreciated.
Reply 364
Original post by MrCarmady
it's more difficult to meet people from other colleges than i had anticipated, i guess
the food in most colleges leaves a lot to be desired
i'll try to think of some more

I'd add to that that many colleges don't provide food on weekends, and the kitchens aren't always great either. I don't really agree about it being hard to meet people from other colleges though, on the contrary I think it's quite easy in societies or in lectures. I'm still closest to people from college though, definitely.

My advice would be don't waste freshers' week - I don't mean necessarily go out clubbing every night, but I didn't do as much as I probably should have and regretted it for the rest of first year. And likewise when the time comes don't waste final year - I've probably been more social than ever this year and even though I'm in the depths of finals I've enjoyed this year the most of my whole time year and can't quite come to terms with the fact that in about 3 weeks I'm leaving forever!

And I second the advice about not being scared of making friends in other years, some of my best friends came up after me - and that's useful for having lots of people to visit next year too when I'm a reluctant alumna... :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 365
might depend on the subject, but people in lectures have never seemed approachable to me, they tend to sit in blocks according to their college and type away on their macbooks. then again i only go to a lecture a week on average :K:
might depend on the subject, but people in lectures have never seemed approachable to me, they tend to sit in blocks according to their college and type away on their macbooks. then again i only go to a lecture a week on average :K:

See, us musos used to all toddle over to the coffee shop across the road in between lectures and have a chinwag :yep:

That's if we weren't fighting over practice rooms :mob:
Reply 367
yeah, i'm friends with both musicians in my year at pembroke, and they have loads of friends outside college, clearly historians are just antisocial people
yeah, i'm friends with both musicians in my year at pembroke, and they have loads of friends outside college, clearly historians are just antisocial people

:hugs: There are far too many of you, that's why. Music is nice and small :h:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hugs: There are far too many of you, that's why. Music is nice and small :h:

That's probably it, plus we never get all together in a room except for exams - we split up and do different papers all throughout our degree. Scientists tend to be quite friendly with other colleges, seeing as they share labs and they all have the same lectures all year. That said, it's easy to find friends in other colleges through societies and stuff, so it doesn't matter that we're inherently antisocial as a subject :wink:
Reply 370
i've signed up to loads of societies but never go. which ones are you a member of, incarnadine?
i've signed up to loads of societies but never go. which ones are you a member of, incarnadine?

I'm still officially a member of the history society, the failed novelists, the Union, the assassins' guild and a couple of others, but they've all fallen by the wayside recently because archery takes up all my time. :biggrin: I never did sport before coming tio Oxford and I only picked it up because I randomly signed up at freshers' fair, but now I'm on the committee and the first team squad. We won Varsity a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 14 years, such a sweet victory! :u: But yeah, I know a ton of people through that from all sorts of colleges and subjects, undergrad and postgrad.
To all current Oxonians: what did you wish you had been told about time management and society commitments?
On a second note: does anyone have experience with juggling a language course through the language center next to their degree?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 373
Original post by AnimalSpirit
To all current Oxonians: what did you wish you had been told about time management and society commitments?
On a second note: does anyone have experience with juggling a language course through the language center next to their degree?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Not doing a language course is one of my biggest regrets now I'm about to leave, but I had a horrible workload last year and some personal issues that led to me dropping a few other things so I doubt I'd have kept it going. Without those...I'm sure it would have been manageable, and I know people who've done it and really enjoyed it.

As far as society commitments in general goes, I think it all depends on the person. I'd say I've been pretty heavily involved in 2 societies, and gone to a few things at various others. Some people manage to juggle half a dozen different extra-curricular activities, rowing and a JCR position without any fuss (although not everyone who does that does a lot of work...), and some people only do one thing or nothing concrete at all. It all depends on how quickly you work and sometimes how little sleep you can get through a day on if you want to do a lot of extra-curricular things. And for time management in general...I guess what I would say is that everything takes longer than you intend it to, and you will procrastinate more than you intend to unless you're extremely self-disciplined. Overall it's not something that's easy to judge until you try for yourself. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi
Just wanted to ask about the essay for 0 Week (English Lit and Lang). I have no idea how long it's supposed to be
Original post by Gallifreylives
Hi
Just wanted to ask about the essay for 0 Week (English Lit and Lang). I have no idea how long it's supposed to be

You might want to double check with your tutors (they won't bite) because different ones will expect different lengths of work, at least in history. I have found that in general 2500 words is the standard essay size, but some will ask for 1500 - usually if you're going to be reading it out in the tute. So yeah, double check, but around 2000 words is fairly safe either way.
Original post by Gallifreylives
Hi

I want an essay for 0th week...:sigh: What college are you coming up to?
clearly historians are just antisocial people

:eek: I'd dispute that :tongue:
I want an essay for 0th week...:sigh: What college are you coming up to?

St Hilda's
You want an essay!? :eek:

actually... it is a tiny bit awesome :tongue:
Original post by Incarnadine91
You might want to double check with your tutors (they won't bite) because different ones will expect different lengths of work, at least in history. I have found that in general 2500 words is the standard essay size, but some will ask for 1500 - usually if you're going to be reading it out in the tute. So yeah, double check, but around 2000 words is fairly safe either way.

ooh thanks for your help
I'll double check
don't want to disappoint in first week....
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending