The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

PPE at Warwick

I have an offer for PPE, so I was wondering, how good is this course at Warwick? What kind of a reputation/prestige does it have and what is the content and quality of the course like? And also, what are the employment opportunities like for someone who has studied at Warwick after graduation?
Reply 1
lookahead
I have an offer for PPE, so I was wondering, how good is this course at Warwick? What kind of a reputation/prestige does it have and what is the content and quality of the course like? And also, what are the employment opportunities like for someone who has studied at Warwick after graduation?

Do you really need to ask this question. Since you picked the course/uni, you must have known that it was awesome.

It's the best PPE course after Oxford, probably even better if you decide to major in Economics in the second and third years. Warwick will open many doors, especially in finance. The course itself is pure quality and it's run by 3 really strong departments.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
lookahead

Hi I just finished my first year at Warwick doing PPE. Basically, the course itself is good. The Politics department in terms of teaching quality is brilliant. I can't speak as highly for the other two but they're still very good and better than most other unis.

In terms of content, the first year of PPE is very broad and it sometimes seems difficult to understand how the three subjects interelate. But towards your second and especially your third years you can pick your modules to find coherence in your degree. Particularly in year 3 there is a "PPE" module, Principles of the Politics Economy which essentially combines all three. The 1st year for PPE is much harder than the other 2 in terms of a wide range of subjects (you'll be doing 8 exams at exam time rather than most other courses that do only 3-5). However, don't let this get you down, that's only the first year.

The quality I mentioned above about the three departments. Lectures from the Econ department range from very good to very poor (as in, I've had 2 very good lecturers and 2 very poor ones.. but I think you get that at most unis). Seminar tutors for Econ were unfortunately poor. Politics the lecturers were fairly average but the seminar tutors were excellent, really, really good - which is the most important thing as seminars are mandatory and lectures not so much. As for philosophy, I had 4 lecturers which ranged from average to good - so not that bad there. Can't say anything special about seminar tutors - they were fairly mediocre. Therefore, the quality of teaching is fairly mixed.. but only the whole not terrible.

As for reputation/graduate prospects etc, you'll be fine. People who do PPE at Warwick are the ****. You get quite a bit of respect and employers recognise that too. If you major in Economics, as the guy above said, you'll probably be able to get a job in finance fairly easily. A friend of mine who just finished his final year (incidently with a 1st overall.. pretty impressive) starts work with Goldman Sachs next month. Also, I have friends who finished degrees of just straight Politics who also now work for Goldman Sachs and similar companies. So to be fair whatever pathway you choose and whichever department you choose to major in, PPE at Warwick makes you very employable!

What are your other offers?
Reply 3
Cosmo_aus_Muenchen
Hi I just finished my first year at Warwick doing PPE. Basically, the course itself is good. The Politics department in terms of teaching quality is brilliant. I can't speak as highly for the other two but they're still very good and better than most other unis.

In terms of content, the first year of PPE is very broad and it sometimes seems difficult to understand how the three subjects interelate. But towards your second and especially your third years you can pick your modules to find coherence in your degree. Particularly in year 3 there is a "PPE" module, Principles of the Politics Economy which essentially combines all three. The 1st year for PPE is much harder than the other 2 in terms of a wide range of subjects (you'll be doing 8 exams at exam time rather than most other courses that do only 3-5). However, don't let this get you down, that's only the first year.

The quality I mentioned above about the three departments. Lectures from the Econ department range from very good to very poor (as in, I've had 2 very good lecturers and 2 very poor ones.. but I think you get that at most unis). Seminar tutors for Econ were unfortunately poor. Politics the lecturers were fairly average but the seminar tutors were excellent, really, really good - which is the most important thing as seminars are mandatory and lectures not so much. As for philosophy, I had 4 lecturers which ranged from average to good - so not that bad there. Can't say anything special about seminar tutors - they were fairly mediocre. Therefore, the quality of teaching is fairly mixed.. but only the whole not terrible.

As for reputation/graduate prospects etc, you'll be fine. People who do PPE at Warwick are the ****. You get quite a bit of respect and employers recognise that too. If you major in Economics, as the guy above said, you'll probably be able to get a job in finance fairly easily. A friend of mine who just finished his final year (incidently with a 1st overall.. pretty impressive) starts work with Goldman Sachs next month. Also, I have friends who finished degrees of just straight Politics who also now work for Goldman Sachs and similar companies. So to be fair whatever pathway you choose and whichever department you choose to major in, PPE at Warwick makes you very employable!

What are your other offers?

Well I have offers from Durham, Exeter and Manchester but they don't compare to Warwick's PPE. But thanks for the info mate! Really helpful..will probably see you there in a few months!
Reply 4
Focus08
In terms of IB grades in PPE, how high is the level? Everyone having 40+?

How do you think my EPAIS compares to PPE?

I just finished the IB and got my results yesterday. My offer was conditional for 38 points for PPE and I got 41 :woo:
So no, its usually around 37-38. Also depends on your subjects
Focus08
In terms of IB grades in PPE, how high is the level? Everyone having 40+?

How do you think my EPAIS compares to PPE?

they expect a solid IB result. i got 40 and got in fine. the offer was 37 when i applied and i think now it's 38. but warwick is one of the few unis that understands the IB. i got lower offers for taking maths HL and physics HL. if you take SL maths and SL bio you'll get a higher offer because they expect better results from you. also if you take HL maths you can get a BSc instead of a BA by taking econ as your major in years 2 and 3. i think they sometimes let people who took SL maths do the BSc pathway if they do really well in the maths exams they set.

not sure what you mean about EPaIS. basically the differences between EPaIS is that they take World Politics as core where PPE don't (although this is an option and I took it, it's an interesting module). i think they might also take world economy as well.. not so sure about that. but either way, they don't take the 3 philosophy modules that PPE take. which can be useful but to be fair the philosophy modules are super easy really. i didn't even study for mine and got a 1st - bit of a discredit to anyone taking philosophy but oh well. in years 2 and 3 there is basically no difference between PPE and EPaIS cos you choose most of your modules anyway. and PPE is recognised a lot more than EPaIS so you're a lot better off with PPE. if you are on EPaIS at the moment i recommend trying to switch to PPE once you get there. i know a few people that did that and i know a few people that dropped from PPE to EPaIS so should be some spaces. maybe.. (i know others that were denied the switch).

erm yeah that's all you need to know really. any questions just ask.

Latest