The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Entry Requirements for UCL... can I get in?

Scroll to see replies

FranticMind
Really? Thats interesting I had an interview for engineering which resulted in my low offer. But I was told it was practically a necessity, I know of 3 others who went to interview.

One for French with something and the interview was conducted in french, he got an offer. One for Maths and one medicine who sadly didn't get an offer.

After contacting them several times I found that the interviews started in November and continued through to March.

I have an AA offer for Maths and I didn't have an interview, fortunately. :p:
My friend has an AAA offer for Law without going for an interview either.

What was your offer then? :cool:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 61
mel0n
Why would you be screwed with AABB?? You could easily be predicted A*AA or AAA whatever for A2 with AABB in your first year, because remember, universities will look at your potential I.e your predicted grades too. That way you'd have the fourth B in your AS subject too.

Also, I don't know exactly how much of an advantage. Some universities may take it into consideration more than others. For example, Durham have a leniency system thing whereby your GCSE grades are compared to your school's average or something. It'd be worth including on your reference, nevertheless. :smile:

Sorry, I mean AABC by which I couldn't even get into Kings because they want a B at AS... I don't think UCL want another AS. and yeah, I will try and get that included, because my school was nearly put under special measure a couple of years ago so that would be to my advantage.. hmm
Kaskade
I don't think UCL want another AS.

UCL Law entry requirements website
AAA plus pass in a fourth subject at AS level

SirAlexander
I have an AA offer for Maths and I didn't have an interview, fortunately. :p:
My friend has an AAA offer for Law without going for an interview either.

What was your offer then? :cool:

ABB for Electronic Engineering. Someone I met at the interview was AAB for same course.

My friend who applied for french with (?) got offer of AAB with French at A (i think).
Reply 64
Kaskade
Oh crap :/ How much below are they? And it sepcifically asks for a B :/ Are you allowed to just leave out stuff on UCAS? Yeah I'm going to prepare for the LNAT now, but realistically, can I get in? sorry for so many questions, thanks.

If I'm being realistic with you, I would say your chances are poor.

There are huge numbers of outstanding applicants applying to read Laws at UCL, not to mention the inordinate number of international applicants that trump any domestic applicant in terms of academic prowess and grades.

Hundreds of Laws applicants with grades better than yours, even with straight A*s at GCSE, and with AAAA A Levels already in the bag (i.e. those who already have their grades and applied during a gap year) get rejected every year.

And then there's the LNAT. A tutor disclosed a few years ago to a tutorial group at UCL that they have a tacit score requirement for the LNAT, and that is that 21+ is seen as an agreable score. So you really need to score well in the LNAT to succeed in your application to UCL Laws.

And finally, your rogue GCSE in math; they explicitly state they require at least a B in this subject, so why would you be exempt from this rule? You can't leave it out of your UCAS application - what would that say about you? It would imply you didn't pass your maths GCSE. I would say if you applied anyway with your 'C' grade, your application would probably just get rejected early on, as you don't meet the basic entrance criteria.

Sorry if this sounds unhelpful, but that's the logical truth when you break it down.

You have a good chance with KCL or Bristol, just make sure you get aaab in your AS-Levels as they do stipulate at least a 'b' in a fourth subject. I just think UCL would be a big disappointment for you.

Is there no way you can retake it?
lesbionic

There are huge numbers of outstanding applicants applying to read Laws at UCL, not to mention the inordinate number of international applicants that trump any domestic applicant in terms of academic prowess and grades.

Hundreds of Laws applicants with grades better than yours, even with straight A*s at GCSE, and with AAAA A Levels already in the bag (i.e. those who already have their grades and applied during a gap year) get rejected every year.

On paper, I shouldn't have got into UCL laws. I had below-average (relatively) GCSEs, and I was taking A-levels in law (which is apparently not well regarded) and music technology. I'm sure you'd laugh at me if I said I was going to apply to UCL for law now. But I did get in!

The only explanation I can give is that I must have done well in my LNAT, because I didn't have an interview or anything. UCL's Professor Rodney Austin was one of the pioneers of the LNAT and, in my year at least, he was the admissions tutor, so it's very likely that a good LNAT will trump poor GCSEs as far as UCL's concerned.
Reply 66
Onearmedbandit
On paper, I shouldn't have got into UCL laws. I had below-average (relatively) GCSEs, and I was taking A-levels in law (which is apparently not well regarded) and music technology. I'm sure you'd laugh at me if I said I was going to apply to UCL for law now. But I did get in!

The only explanation I can give is that I must have done well in my LNAT, because I didn't have an interview or anything. UCL's Professor Rodney Austin was one of the pioneers of the LNAT and, in my year at least, he was the admissions tutor, so it's very likely that a good LNAT will trump poor GCSEs as far as UCL's concerned.

Yes but you must have met the basic entry requirements, surely? OP has not met these (needs a B in GCSE maths) which makes it even more unlikely.
Reply 67
My friend got rejected from Exeter cause they asked for a B in english language GCSE and he only had a C. I would definitely resit Maths GCSE as in my opinion it cant hurt your application and can only help it.
Reply 68
Revolution is my Name

kay
Reply 69
sungirl
Moldoooooova:biggrin:

Oh cool =D where are you applying to?
Reply 70
Connor132
I don't want to be the kill-joy, but generally if you miss any of the minimum entry requirements there's no point in applying because you tend get filtered out straight away.

You cant just leave the grade out (even if you actually could) because GCSE maths is a basic requirement and without it on your UCAS form you'd be auto-filtered out of every uni you apply to - not just UCL where you haven't met the entry criteria.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. I'm just a tad confused because some people are like "nope, dont bother, you wuill be rejected." whereas others are like "naaaaaah my friend got in with less than you"... would be better if I spoke to a person who went I guess.
ily_em
Yes but you must have met the basic entry requirements, surely? OP has not met these (needs a B in GCSE maths) which makes it even more unlikely.

I think you're overestimating the rigidity of these rules. At the end of the day it's up to the admissions team to let someone in. If an applicant just misses out on one requirement but excel in others then they could still let him in.
Reply 72
Onyx.
I thought you were disadvantaged if you only did 3 AS subjects and applied to UCL for a competitive course? The reason being, because there are going to be a lot of strong applicants who have gained AAAA/B at AS.
Anyway, OP, I would be worried purely because of the C in GCSE Maths when UCL want at least a B. You don't meet the entrance requirements. Applying would be very risky but if you want to, go ahead.

Im doing 4 AS's and 3 A-levels. Yeah that's what im worried about, will I even be considered, or rejected straight away. this is the thing.
Reply 73
FranticMind
They interview all of the applicants unless there is a good reason for you not to go. ie live in india (although one person travelled from india to the interview anyway).

I didn't think they did :/ i'll look into it.
Reply 74
younglawyer
Yeah probably close to that, but you're grades are good enough. You've passed that hurdle, now think about your A-level, PS and LNAT.

Yeah I guess so. I'm just worried i'll be filtered because of my maths. damn.
Reply 75
SirAlexander
I didn't know you can leave out a grade from UCAS legally.

You can't... although I don't know if UCAS/ Uni's check this.
Kaskade
Yeah I guess so. I'm just worried i'll be filtered because of my maths. damn.

One subject won't make a difference if the other areas make up for it.
Reply 77
ily_em
I'm pretty sure a requirement of UCL is to have a fourth AS though :s-smilie:

So it would be worse to not have the C grade on there as they would not be meeting the requirements.

Yeah they do, they want a pass AS level on top. Well I SHOULD have that... just don't have frickin maths at B! grrr...
Reply 78
ily_em
Yes they are good GCSEs but OP does not meet the requirements from UCL which is a B in maths. It would be ok if there were no such requirements but due to the high number of exceptional candidates applying to UCL it is likely they will just ignore any aplications that don't meet the requirements without considering it. Also Law is a lot more competitive than subjects such as history of art so it would be difficult anyway with those GCSEs.

**** it. What about Queen Mary? Would I get into that with what i've got?
Reply 79
lesbionic

And then there's the LNAT. A tutor disclosed a few years ago to a tutorial group at UCL that they have a tacit score requirement for the LNAT, and that is that 21+ is seen as an agreable score. So you really need to score well in the LNAT to succeed in your application to UCL Laws.

And finally, your rogue GCSE in math; they explicitly state they require at least a B in this subject, so why would you be exempt from this rule? You can't leave it out of your UCAS application - what would that say about you? It would imply you didn't pass your maths GCSE. I would say if you applied anyway with your 'C' grade, your application would probably just get rejected early on, as you don't meet the basic entrance criteria.

Sorry if this sounds unhelpful, but that's the logical truth when you break it down.

You have a good chance with KCL or Bristol, just make sure you get aaab in your AS-Levels as they do stipulate at least a 'b' in a fourth subject. I just think UCL would be a big disappointment for you.

Is there no way you can retake it?

No, this is helpful, I much prefer honesty! I was hoping other things would cancel out my gcse grades, but clearly not.

I will revise lots for the LNAT and hopefully do well.

Yeah i'm trying KCL but again, I may not get AAAb so... I wish I knew I was going to do Law ages ago, I could have perpared better i.e ensured i got a B in gcse...

I can retake maths, but it may be a waste of time and money and i'd have to revise tons in order to get a B... I suppose it may be worth it, but maybe not.

If I do get the right grades, do you think KCL or Queen mary would be more likely to accept me..?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending