The Student Room Group

Advice on Taking Time Off at Uni

Hi, I'm starting uni in Lancaster in September this year and I'm going to be studying Occupational Therapy.
However, I've been invited to spend 3 weeks in Australia leaving on the 24th October, is this a sensible thing to do?

Has anyone taken 3 weeks off from uni? Did you miss a lot? Was it difficult to catch up? :s

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just worried I'm going to go and miss so much, and then I'm worried if I don't go I'm going to be home alone for 3 weeks and miss out on what is possibly a once in a lifetime trip (how often can we afford to go to Aus?!)

Any advice would be really helpful......thank you! :smile:
no don't do it. for me on my course it'd actually be impossible to catch up if i had 3 weeks off.

its possibly worth asking the people on your course whether they think its possible.
and i imagine there will be quite a few assignments and crap over that time that need to be handed in. so you'd have to get permission from your uni to miss that time. which i doubt they'll give you.

if you really want to go on this trip. just defer entry and take a gap year. i'm sure you can think of plenty of other things to fill your time
Reply 2
bekio
Hi, I'm starting uni in Lancaster in September this year and I'm going to be studying Occupational Therapy.
However, I've been invited to spend 3 weeks in Australia leaving on the 24th October, is this a sensible thing to do?

Has anyone taken 3 weeks off from uni? Did you miss a lot? Was it difficult to catch up? :s

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just worried I'm going to go and miss so much, and then I'm worried if I don't go I'm going to be home alone for 3 weeks and miss out on what is possibly a once in a lifetime trip (how often can we afford to go to Aus?!)

well one of those week is probably reading week. Most courses at Lancaster get those. You will miss compulsory classes though - so you're going to have to get permission. Tricky situation. I wouldn't defer entry for a whole year for the sake of three weeks though tbh
Reply 3
Taking 3 weeks off during term time is not very sensible - you'll have a lot of catching up to do and will also need permission from the university (which they are not going to be happy about giving).
Reply 4
i wouldnt say its a sensible thing to do but id still go. ask the uni if you can have all the material and get cracking with studying before you go so your not behind. like you said, when could you go again? its only three weeks as long as you get everything done and commit then you'll be fine :smile:
Not sensible, but if you want to you can catch up, probably. But you might have to rush some essays etc.
I reckon you could easily do that. In first year (and even in second and third year) I went for three week periods without going to university at all; no noticeable problems arose from this. But if you have exams in December then it's perhaps not a good idea!
Reply 7
In 3 weeks at university you cover a hell of a lot more ground than at school, and it's much harder to catch up ( because you have to do it completely yourself ). Definately wouldn't reccommend it.
Reply 8
bekio

the people above are being ridiculous, like with school people generally find themselves doing all the necessary work and revision around exam time, just give yourself enough time for this. Provided you aren't missing any coursework or anything then i doubt it will effect you that much. I expect (like my uni) they only care about coursework and exam results. I still wouldn't recommend it, you're meant to be an adult in full time education, act like it! uni is not a holiday.
Three weeks off during term time? No chance.
Reply 10
er.......my husband is doing radiography, and you can only miss a certain percentage of your course time or you get kicked off the course! especially just for a holiday.....

he did need 1 week off for his sisters wedding abroad, which he told the head tutor about before he started uni so they were fine about it!

still...3 weeks is quite alot to miss! depends though as normally the lectures are on blackboard and hopefully you will have some friend sto get the work for you etc...

Latest

Trending

Trending