The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2011: Because when you're a lawyer it's never too early!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maghreblover
Yes. four offers. :smile:

EDIT: one isn't a law firm though, an IB legal division

Would you say its been easier to an internship IB or Law Scheme?
Reply 1981
Original post by hingus2000
I think you have missed out probably the best option:

(iv) Accept Links offer, cross that bridge (ie. have a real dilemma) with Slaughter's if they make you an offer.

Hmm, that's a bit odd... :smile:

If I accept Links' offer, I cannot reject it, right?

P.S. I am not implying that Slaughter's will make me an offer. I am simply asking people what do they think is the best thing to do and I really do not think that accepting Links offer and THEN changing my mind, if I get an offer from Slaughter's, is the best way to go.
Original post by eve_22

I know people that have done this! But it doesn't exactly leave the best impression on the GR there if you want to apply there in future.

Why don't you explain to Links that you're waiting until a set date to hear back from other firms and would they consider extending the deadline? Not all firms will do this but it is worth asking.
Original post by eve_22
Hmm, that's a bit odd... :smile:

P.S. I am not implying that Slaughter's will make me an offer. I am simply asking people what do they think is the best thing to do and I really do not think that accepting Links offer and THEN changing my mind, if I get an offer from Slaughter's, is the best way to go.

Sometimes you have to look after number one slightly.

You have to accept Links now. Do that obviously. Then if S&M make an offer, well then you have a decision to make, and ultimately if you prefer S&M, yes, you go back and reject Links. I know it's not ideal, but it is the only way you will get to make a genuine choice as far as I can see.
Original post by hingus2000

We're all missing that it's a combination of two possibilities that is the best approach:

1. Email Slaughters asking if they will inform you sooner, as you want to choose them but have another attractive offer expiring soon. This will not influence their decision either way.

2.a. If they let you know straight away, then you either accept S&M (if you get the offer) or go with Links (if they don't offer you a place)

2.b. If they won't tell you sooner, go with Links, and at least you asked.

3. Then you decide whether to annoy Links by withdrawing if S&M make you an offer after your Links deadline.
Reply 1985
Original post by eve_22
Hey guys,

So I have a bit of a dilemma.

Apparently, Links ask applicants to reply to the offer within five days of receiving the email. I was told that I will get mine on Monday, so from then on I should have a maximum of a week to accept or reject it. However, Slaughter's won't be getting back to anyone until 18 February which leaves me with 3 options:

(i) reject Links and wait for Slaughter's to find out whether it's a rejection or an acceptance - that makes very little sense to me, if I'm honest

(ii) accept Links and email Slaughter's to let them know I am withdrawing - this way I will never know whether I would have been successful though

(iii) write to Slaughter's letting them know about my situation and asking them to make a decision quicker... doesn't seem like something they would really do, though.

Any advice, please? Thank you!

After my Slaughter's interview earlier this week they told me that if other firms were pushing me for an answer before I'd heard from them I should let them know. They didn't say what they'd do about it though.
Original post by ebam_uk
Would you say its been easier to an internship IB or Law Scheme?

Hmm. Good question.

I'd say it's about the same level of difficulty to get an interview. After the interview stage however, of the four I actually went for, I got them all. (waiting to hear back from one) For law, on the other hand, I've been rejected by two.

So I could say law is actually (at interview stage) more difficult to get into. But then again, it could be that I just performed worse those particular interviews. Dunno :dontknow:
Reply 1987
Original post by eve_22
Hey guys,

So I have a bit of a dilemma.

Apparently, Links ask applicants to reply to the offer within five days of receiving the email. I was told that I will get mine on Monday, so from then on I should have a maximum of a week to accept or reject it. However, Slaughter's won't be getting back to anyone until 18 February which leaves me with 3 options:

(i) reject Links and wait for Slaughter's to find out whether it's a rejection or an acceptance - that makes very little sense to me, if I'm honest

(ii) accept Links and email Slaughter's to let them know I am withdrawing - this way I will never know whether I would have been successful though

(iii) write to Slaughter's letting them know about my situation and asking them to make a decision quicker... doesn't seem like something they would really do, though.

Any advice, please? Thank you!

I think you should try to squeeze both in your Summer since there are 2 periods to choose from in Links. If not I say (iii) - write to Slaughter's. My friend did that with the Big 4 accounting firms she applied to and accommodated her request. Also, which firm do you prefer? If it were me, I'd go with Links because they have a much broader international network (26 offices vs Slaughter's 4 - i think). But then again, that's why I didn't apply to Slaughters.

Anyway, nice dilemma to be in though. 2 MC firms! :smile:
Reply 1988
Original post by hmaus
First accept Links - this part seems definite, right?

Then regarding Slaughters, if you got an offer would you be tempted to try and squeeze it into your summer somehow, or is it completely impossible? If you know you would not be able/willing to do both then I think the sensible and decent thing to do is withdraw. It's obviously normal to be curious about the outcome of any interview but if you already know you wouldn't accept the VS I think it's fairer to withdraw, as otherwise they will be wasting their time considering you and potentially making an offer - and maybe this could affect another candidate who was borderline on being given an offer?

If you had a definite offer from both on the table right now and could only pick one, which would you accept?

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I really appreciate it.

As for looking after the number 1 sometimes, I can see the point but at the same time I think it wouldn't reflect well on me if I was to, hypothetically, accept and then reject a place on the vac scheme with Links. So I think I will just email Slaughter's and tell them about my offer and let them know when the deadline for reply is on my part.

hmaus, to answer your question re Slaughter's, if I did get an offer, I would actually be tempted to squeeze it into my summer, but this is virtually impossible, as I already have a three week scheme with Hogan Lovells and the dates will definitely clash. Plus, I have my finals to prepare for and doing 2 vac schemes will already be quite a stretch.

As for which firm I would actually accept if I had offers from both, I really really don't know :frown: ... I always leaned towards Slaughter's a bit more but, after visiting Links and really enjoying my interviews there, I am not really sure that that's still the case. Both firms are really great and I think that I would enjoy a vac scheme at either one but Links seem to be a lot more likely to offer their vac schemers a TC (70-80% of their TC offers go to vac schemers, according to the Chambers Student Guide) while Slaughter's don't seem to take their vac scheme into account as much. Links also offer a broader experience, I think, in that it isn't as heavily concentrated on corporate as Slaughter's. I am, however, well aware that corporate is still what drives the firm. There is also a difference in culture between them, as far as I am concerned.

Out of interest though, which would you prefer and why?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1989
Original post by eve_22
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I really appreciate it.

As for looking after the number 1 sometimes, I can see the point but at the same time I think it wouldn't reflect well on me if I was to, hypothetically, accept and then reject a place on the vac scheme with Links. So I think I will just email Slaughter's and tell them about my offer and let them know when the deadline for reply is on my part.

hmaus, to answer your question re Slaughter's, if I did get an offer, I would actually be tempted to squeeze it into my summer, but this is virtually impossible, as I already have a three week scheme with Hogan Lovells and the dates will definitely clash. Plus, I have my finals to prepare for and doing 2 vac schemes will already be quite a stretch.

As for which firm I would actually accept if I had offers from both, I really really don't know :frown: ... I always leaned towards Slaughter's a bit more but, after visiting Links and really enjoying my interviews there, I am not really sure that that's still the case. Both firms are really great and I think that I would enjoy a vac scheme at either one but considering that Links seem to be a lot more likely to offer their vac schemers a TC (70-80% of their TC offers go to vac schemers, according to the Chambers Student Guide) while Slaughter's don't seem to take their vac scheme into account as much.

Out of interest though, which would you prefer and why?

congratulations Eve on your continued success!

x
Reply 1990
Original post by hmaus
Although Slaughters was my original favourite, in your position I think I would choose Linklaters out of the two as you sounded like you enjoyed the interview more and I think the feeling you get at interview and looking around the firm is hugely important.

Also I think the point about TCs going to vac schemers is a very sensible thing to take into account. I didn't realise that Links recruited so heavily from their scheme, so that might well sway it for me in your position.

I don't know too much about the workings of the VS since I only applied for the TCs, but the practice areas you get to sit in on the scheme would also be an important factor IMO. Do you know which area you will be in on your other ones?

Yes, I did actually enjoy my Linklaters interview more than my Slaughter's one but I didn't actually get to look around the latter firm - they interviewed at a hotel in Oxford, so I only met a partner and an associate from the firm. Just to clarify, they were perfectly nice and it didn't feel like a bad cop good cop routine at all, but the topics I have discussed with the partner at Linklaters were a lot more engaging and I felt like I was actually having a nice conversation with her. We seemed to have built a rapport and I left feeling like I got to know her a little bit too, including the reasons as to why she has joined the firm and why she enjoyed it as much as she did.

In terms of the practice areas, I will get to state my preference to Linklaters, but I will be sitting in 2 practice areas over 4 weeks. I am not entirely sure how it works at Slaughter's, but their placement is only 2 weeks long. Linklaters are actually quite famous (and have won awards) for having a great vac scheme too, so I am quite tempted to give it a go :smile:

I haven't chosen the practice areas for Ashurst or Hogan Lovells as yet, but I think that at Ashurst I will aim for a week in corporate and a week in their structured finance department, while at Hogan Lovells I would like to try litigation, corporate and, perhaps, competition or regulatory work, and at Linklaters I'd probably go for a seat in capital markets and M&A.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bob Loblaw
We're all missing that it's a combination of two possibilities that is the best approach:

1. Email Slaughters asking if they will inform you sooner, as you want to choose them but have another attractive offer expiring soon. This will not influence their decision either way.

2.a. If they let you know straight away, then you either accept S&M (if you get the offer) or go with Links (if they don't offer you a place)

2.b. If they won't tell you sooner, go with Links, and at least you asked.

3. Then you decide whether to annoy Links by withdrawing if S&M make you an offer after your Links deadline.

This lad speaks wise words. I see nothing wrong with burning a bridge to cross a much better one. You're way too low on the ladder to start worrying about loyalty to a firm so do whatever is best for you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hmm. Good question.

I'd say it's about the same level of difficulty to get an interview. After the interview stage however, of the four I actually went for, I got them all. (waiting to hear back from one) For law, on the other hand, I've been rejected by two.

So I could say law is actually (at interview stage) more difficult to get into. But then again, it could be that I just performed worse those particular interviews. Dunno :dontknow:

I would expect getting an offer from a law firm to be more difficult than getting one for the legal department of an IB as you are the revenue generator in the former, compared to just a support function in the later.
Reply 1993
Is anyone else getting application fatigue? I guess it's normal, hopefully I'll regain my motivation :smile:

x
Original post by Prince of Zamunda
I would expect getting an offer from a law firm to be more difficult than getting one for the legal department of an IB as you are the revenue generator in the former, compared to just a support function in the later.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about legal department of an IB and law firm though, I'm talking about investment banking versus law (IBD vs law including legal department in IB) which I assumed was what ebam_uk was asking about.

In both cases (excluding legal dept IB of course), you're the revenue generator :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1995
Yeah, but I'm not talking about legal department of an IB and law firm though, I'm talking about investment banking versus law (IBD vs law including legal department in IB) which I assumed was what ebam_uk was asking about.

In both cases (excluding legal dept IB of course), you're the revenue generator :wink:

Hello :smile:

Forgive me for being nosy but where are your offers from? I know it's Camerons and Simmons & Simmons but where else? Have you accepted any of them yet?

Congratulations on your success so far!
Original post by eve_22
Hello :smile:

Forgive me for being nosy but where are your offers from? I know it's Camerons and Simmons & Simmons but where else? Have you accepted any of them yet?

Congratulations on your success so far!

PM'd thee :smile:
hey, just wondering if anyone knows whether linklaters are active in recruiting right off their vacation scheme? i mean, i know you get an automatic interview, but is there a good chance it'll lead to the TC?
I would ask the same of the Macfarlanes and Bakers VS's
Reply 1999
Original post by arsenalskydivers
hey, just wondering if anyone knows whether linklaters are active in recruiting right off their vacation scheme? i mean, i know you get an automatic interview, but is there a good chance it'll lead to the TC?

According to Chambers Student Guide, 70-80% of TC's go to people who have done a vac scheme.

I spoke about this with their GR officer too, who said that 'technically' there is enough space to give all vac schemers a TC. In reality, however, some people will not make it through the interview process and out of those who do some will reject the offer and go elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending