The Student Room Group

Spring Weeks 2011 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
giovanta
I still have a poor CV to compete in the summer internship challenge.
Basically, it's just high school, 1 year of uni and an extra program in which we did business cases discussions and such things..

I was thinking to apply for summer internship the next year, for summer 2012, when I'll have done (hopefully) more things and know more about the industry.
I know that it will not be my penultimate year of uni, since in Italy master programs last 2 years, but I know people who managed to get an offer at that stage.

Lol spring weeks are just as competitive, maybe even more competitive than summer internships because only about 10 firms do spring weeks (taking in roughly 40 each) whereas over 50 firms do summer internships (with some of the big banks taking like 200 people).

Basically dude you're trying to cheat and the banks will eventually find out that after university you intend to spend a year sitting on your ass all day.
Reply 61
However spring week "internships" are not that well known compared to the traditional summer ones. Further most people do not even have IB on their radar when graduating from high school or after their A-levels.
Reply 62
Outdaveex
However spring week "internships" are not that well known compared to the traditional summer ones. Further most people do not even have IB on their radar when graduating from high school or after their A-levels.

Yeah true, a lot more people do apply for summer internships. However I don't believe that it's easier to get a spring week than a summer internship.
Reply 63
Does HSBC offer any spring weeks? Couldn't even find news on google! And whats the 2:1, 2:2 thing about :P? Further, was does FO stand for?

Thank you!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
Outdaveex
Does HSBC offer any spring weeks? Couldn't even find news on google! And whats the 2:1, 2:2 thing about :P? Further, was does FO stand for?

Thank you!

As far as I know, only a paid First Year Internship. 2:1, 2:2 as in degree classification (eg "First"/"Two-one"/"Two-two"/"Third[noparse]")[/noparse]. FO - Front Office - the parts of the bank that meet people/clients. There's also middle office and back office.
Reply 65
Thank you!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 66
Outdaveex
Thank you!

Still could not figure out what 2:1, 2:2 thing is :smile:.

Read this :smile:
am entering university this September and i would like to know if its possible for me to apply for the spring week program in 2011 in the finance industry ?

How is the application process like, do all banks require interviews as well as the questions before or not ?

When do application start ?

Any information would be helpful .

thanks
Student10000
am entering university this September and i would like to know if its possible for me to apply for the spring week program in 2011 in the finance industry ?

How is the application process like, do all banks require interviews as well as the questions before or not ?

When do application start ?

Any information would be helpful .

thanks

1) If you're on a three year course, yes.
2) Depends on the bank.
3) Depends on the bank. Most open in September.
Reply 69
Completed the SHL test numerical and verbal for fun with calculator and it was quite okay
(edited 13 years ago)
Is there a reason that I couldn't apply for spring internship this spring, even though I'm starting first year of 4 year course, or is it something that most people just assume to be fact?
Reply 71
To which one did you try to apply?
yodude888
Is there a reason that I couldn't apply for spring internship this spring, even though I'm starting first year of 4 year course, or is it something that most people just assume to be fact?

You can theoretically apply. Someone earlier mentioned that they knew a girl in 1st year of a 4year Scottish course who got an Easter insight week. It's just that you stand a far better chance in 2nd year. But I might apply anyways. No reason you can't apply again if unsuccessful in 1st year. :dontknow:

Also, what accom did you get for St.Andrews? I don't wanna give too much info but my friend is in the new self catered...which costs £5000! :eek: My Edinburgh catered costs the same as his!:eek:
xRoseberryx
You can theoretically apply. Someone earlier mentioned that they knew a girl in 1st year of a 4year Scottish course who got an Easter insight week. It's just that you stand a far better chance in 2nd year. But I might apply anyways. No reason you can't apply again if unsuccessful in 1st year. :dontknow:

Also, what accom did you get for St.Andrews? I don't wanna give too much info but my friend is in the new self catered...which costs £5000! :eek: My Edinburgh catered costs the same as his!:eek:

Mmm I think I'll apply first year anyway too... I mean, "why not" indeed. Don't see any harm in giving it a go. Thing is my main interest is private banking/asset management, and the places which have internships only seem to have them for the summer (e.g. HSBC) and not spring. I don't know if I should do a more general/unrelated spring programme then or not ...

And wow a sly sly way of trying to figure out where I'm rooming :rolleyes: I'm in John Burnet Annexe, which is catered (even though I reaaaally wanted to be self-catered) and it's like 6500 or something like that for the year.
Reply 74
yodude888

The banks don't want someone who will be doing a summer internship in 2 and a half years time! However it's not impossible, so you might as well apply if you have some time on your hands.
yodude888
Mmm I think I'll apply first year anyway too... I mean, "why not" indeed. Don't see any harm in giving it a go. Thing is my main interest is private banking/asset management, and the places which have internships only seem to have them for the summer (e.g. HSBC) and not spring. I don't know if I should do a more general/unrelated spring programme then or not ...

And wow a sly sly way of trying to figure out where I'm rooming :rolleyes: I'm in John Burnet Annexe, which is catered (even though I reaaaally wanted to be self-catered) and it's like 6500 or something like that for the year.

Mwhahaha it was all a ruse to get you into bed!:woo:
Milch
The banks don't want someone who will be doing a summer internship in 2 and a half years time! However it's not impossible, so you might as well apply if you have some time on your hands.

Do you think that some of the smaller firms would take someone on in a less structured way?

and do you know of any of the firms having wealth/asset management/private banking summer internships? I've found HSBC and Barclay Wealth, but not much more. I was thinking that it may not be a bad idea to apply to spring weeks specifically in these firms
yodude888

How on god's green earth do you even know your main interest lies in private banking/asset management. Not a healthy way to live your life buddy boy...
I am going to apply in 1st, cos I literally have nothing better to do with my time.

I have it on good authority that everyone staying at John Burnet is a strong homo :ninja:
Reply 78
yodude888
Do you think that some of the smaller firms would take someone on in a less structured way?

and do you know of any of the firms having wealth/asset management/private banking summer internships? I've found HSBC and Barclay Wealth, but not much more. I was thinking that it may not be a bad idea to apply to spring weeks specifically in these firms

Yes probably.

Well most of the asset management firms have summer internships (probably still penultimate year only). Also, most of the big banks will have private wealth management divisions if that's what you're interested in?
xRoseberryx
How on god's green earth do you even know your main interest lies in private banking/asset management. Not a healthy way to live your life buddy boy...
I am going to apply in 1st, cos I literally have nothing better to do with my time.

I have it on good authority that everyone staying at John Burnet is a strong homo :ninja:

I come from a background well grounded in private banking, already done a lot of work in the area and really enjoy it :cool:

now stop trying to get me into bed, and get to writing your CV so we can compete for 1st year spring weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending