The Student Room Group

The Inaugural Film Review Competition - There Will Be Blood - Results Announced!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Right then, seeing as the new competition is up I thought this would be a good time to review the voting system. There are three options:

PMs: this allows for checking of votes to make sure no self-voting or dupes, but evidently is too much effort for some people as we didn't get many votes. :p:

Poll: This allows for instant voting. The problems with this are a lack of accountability for your vote, people might just vote for anything because they want to take part in a poll (it happens), and the thread would have to be opened rather than left closed.

Copying the Study Help nomination template (seen here): Basically, it's a way of voting in an announcement - you just enter your username and the entry you wish to vote for. It should solve all of the problems of the above ones (keep vote accountability, be easy to vote on, leave the thread closed) and CS has said he's happy to set it up. I think this would be the best option.

What does everyone else think?

Champagne Supernova
Phalanges
Right then, seeing as the new competition is up I thought this would be a good time to review the voting system. There are three options:

PMs: this allows for checking of votes to make sure no self-voting or dupes, but evidently is too much effort for some people as we didn't get many votes. :p:

Poll: This allows for instant voting. The problems with this are a lack of accountability for your vote, people might just vote for anything because they want to take part in a poll (it happens), and the thread would have to be opened rather than left closed.

Copying the Study Help nomination template (seen here): Basically, it's a way of voting in an announcement - you just enter your username and the entry you wish to vote for. It should solve all of the problems of the above ones (keep vote accountability, be easy to vote on, leave the thread closed) and CS has said he's happy to set it up. I think this would be the best option.

What does everyone else think?

Basically, I'm fully in favour of option #3. As Phalanges has pointed out, it's all nice and simple (for all the voters at least :wink:)! Polls can be a pain in the bum to set up - especially when you want to make one that's all 'nice and proper' :p:
I honestly don't mind receiving PMs, but we may not get as many views as we may like. :sad:
I like option #3 as well. There are cons to both PM voting and the poll, #3 seems the best option.
I agree with option 3.
Reply 24
Option 3. :yy:
3 looks good

the only worry is that if someone has read 2 long reviews will they bother reading all 6 or 7? its a worry

i might do one for cloverfield if i get time this weekend
Reply 26
Clubber Lang
the only worry is that if someone has read 2 long reviews will they bother reading all 6 or 7? its a worry

I agree, it is a worry - but apart from asking people not to I can't really see anything we can do to stop that.
Original post by Phalanges
And in terms of who wrote what:

Entry 1 was written by Phalanges.

Entry 2 was written by rofflewaffle.

Entry 3 was written by unknownking321.

Entry 4 was written by SirRamAlot.

Entry 5 was written by WrigglyMammoth.

Entry 6 was written by S-man10.

Big thanks to Champagne Supernova, whose work behind the scenes made this whole competition possible, and thanks to everyone that took part in entering or voting. Next competition will be announced shortly I guess!

Hey Phalanges, I've been checking, and I see this thread is from more than 5 years ago. Is it still relevant to respond to the posts on here?

Quick Reply

Latest