The Student Room Group
Depends, I got a double A at GCSE Science and got a U in A-Level Biology, because I didn't do any work and was drinking in school.
Reply 2
Oh savage.
Well i'm guessing it's just going to take effort?
harrietj
Oh savage.
Well i'm guessing it's just going to take effort?

Very much so, A-Level biology is a far cry from GCSE level. I didn't really listen or work for GCSE and just crammed the week before with a CGP book. If you even fall behind in A-Level you **** everything up.
Reply 4
A levels are more about how hard you work than intelligence. You'll need to work much harder than you did at GCSE to be successful at A level.
Reply 5
harrietj
I only got a CB in double award science at GCSE level (I took it early in year 10 and have just finished year 11 so will be starting A-Levels in sep).
Am I intelligent enough to take Chemistry and Biology at A-Level? I don't want to take them and get a rubbish grade in them.
However, both subjects would be a good choice as I hope to go into Nursing/Medicine.

ADVICE?!

As long as you like chem and bio and your prepared to work your arse off then go for it, but chem and bio at a level are muchhh more difficult than gcse so it requires 100% commitment,
btw if you want to do medicine look around unis now as many unis requires certain gcse grades for certain courses
They will just need a bit more work. The content isn't too difficult but A-level is in quite more detail than GCSE.

Biology is meant to be easier than chemistry but it's much more boring whereas chemistry imo was more fun. Pretend it's fun and you're enjoying the lessons and you'll retain more information hence a decent grade :smile:
Reply 7
harrietj
I only got a CB in double award science at GCSE level (I took it early in year 10 and have just finished year 11 so will be starting A-Levels in sep).
Am I intelligent enough to take Chemistry and Biology at A-Level? I don't want to take them and get a rubbish grade in them.
However, both subjects would be a good choice as I hope to go into Nursing/Medicine.

ADVICE?!

I just finished my A2s and I did both Bio and Chem. I'm not going to lie, they both get quite a lot harder at A level, especially chemistry but yeah if you want to go into medicine they're a must. I did triple science at GCSE and got 3A* and still found A2 difficult at times.

My advice to you is to think about whether nursing/medicine is what you really want. If it is then be aware that you are going to have to work really hard consistently over the 2 years and that even if you do get the grades medicine is very competitive, there are straight A students that dont make it.

I hope this helps, and good luck.
Reply 8
ScouseWheelTrim
Depends, I got a double A at GCSE Science and got a U in A-Level Biology, because I didn't do any work and was drinking in school.

Hold up do you mean you was actually drinking during lessons in school? or partying and drinking during term time when you should be revising.

To the OP. For medicine a CB in double GCSE science will heavily disadvantage you unless you get extremely high at A level and a bucketload of work experience and wow them at the interview it ain't gonna happen (could still happen by a freak chance).

I would suggest looking at nursing instead as medical schools tend to look down on retakes.
Reply 9
Biology is largely just remembering facts and repeating them. So long as you can grasp biological ideas and systems, and have a fairly good retentive memory, you should be okay.

Chemistry is very, very different at A level, especialy if you've done double award. I did the double award and was totally unprepared for A level chemistry and really had to step up my game, spending a fair amount of time getting my head around the basics that they expect you to know.

Having said that, after you get into the swing of things, and understand the basic underlying theory behind pretty much all chemistry, things seem to be going pretty smoothly. :smile:

Basically, if you enjoy it, do it. That way if you find that you're struggling with a topic you'll be way more inclined to work through it. If you don't enjoy chemistry or biology at GCSE level, don't bother doing it at A level just because you think they're good A levels to have. :smile:
Fat-Love
Hold up do you mean you was actually drinking during lessons in school? or partying and drinking during term time when you should be revising.

Both, Magic water :wink:.
chemistry is very hard - it has beena toug two years and i got an A* at gcse so if you are really determined to do medicine then you will just have tobury your head in your books (still enjoying life of course)
Biology has a lot more to take in but i found was more enjoyable but the second year was so much harder than the first whereas with chemistry year 12 was very horrible.
If you really want a medical career, deifnetly go for it and you can choose your universities from your grades so all isn't lost.
Good luck!
I'd do them if:

a) You enjoy them
b) You're okay at maths
c) You didn't get the highest possible grades at GCSE because you either didn't work or other circumstances affected your performance. If you put in all the work, and tried really hard, and still didn't do that well - then I don't see the point, really. It only gets harder from here on in.

If you're just doing them so you can apply for medicine or dentistry, I'd maybe rethink it. It's hugely competitive to get in and you'll be up against a lot of people who did really well at GCSE.
south east's finest
chemistry is very hard - it has beena toug two years and i got an A* at gcse so if you are really determined to do medicine then you will just have tobury your head in your books (still enjoying life of course)
Biology has a lot more to take in but i found was more enjoyable but the second year was so much harder than the first whereas with chemistry year 12 was very horrible.

If you really want a medical career, deifnetly go for it and you can choose your universities from your grades so all isn't lost.
Good luck!

Completely agree.

OP, if you are looking to do Medicine then realistically you'll be needing to get an A in both, no matter what universities you are applying to. And a lot of work will be needed to acheive that. If you think you can do it, go for it.

But if you do end up getting Bs and Cs after your first year (AS) you could still opt for nursing, so Biology and Chemistry could be worth a go :smile:
ScouseWheelTrim

That sounds eerily familiar, only I managed to scrape an E.

OP, Sciences are hard at A level, you have to actually be willing to work, you can probably do it if you try.
harrietj

ADVICE?!

To do Medicine at uni you will probably need science A levels, Chemistry and Biology are probably a couple of the best to have.

I don't know if you are intelligent enough or not, but Chemistry is quite difficult as you need to learn a lot of information, a lot of which will not have any pattern.

Also lots of people go into Biology at A Level thinking it will be as easy as it was at GCSE - At GCSE level it is by far the easiest and best taught of the sciences. This is because most GCSE science teachers are biologists with a Biology degree and don't properly understand Chemistry and Physics. Many of them won't even have studied Chemistry or Physics at A level. I learned this during my PGCE. The amount of biology teachers that don't get Forces and Newton's laws of motion is astounding.

Anyway, loads of people join the Biology A level course and then loads drop out as they think its going to be a really easy science but then can't hack it. Of course all the sciences have drop outs, but by far the most from Biology.

Most teachers teaching A Level sciences of Biology, Chemistry or Physics will have a degree level understanding of their respective subject, it is very unusual not to have one, and usually its only because the school is short staffed.

Imagine a biologist trying to explain quantum physics to a class of students even though they don't fully understand it themself!!!
Reply 16
Okay guys. Thanks for all the comments.
I think i could definitely acheive high if I put the effort in.
HOWEVER, Chem isn't my fav subject! So maybe i'll give it a miss.
I'm definitely doing Maths and Bio A-Levels..
what would you recommend as a 3rd baring in mind Nursing is my next option!?

Latest