The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Colleges???

Hey guys, hoping to apply to durham and was contemplating different college options, Im looking for Loads and loads of sport, namely rugby tennis and a nice gym (a basketball court and a sports centre would also be nice!), Good party life, very vibrant atmosphere and a fair amount of students, im leaning more towards University college on the website and prospectus looks the nicest, but as ive never seen it i cant be sure. Also does the college you apply to have any effect on your chances of getting an offer?? Thank you all, btw my enter button doesnt work so excuse the layout of this post :smile:
Reply 1
There's some wiki article on the colleges I believe, edited by students with some pros/cons.
(see: here)

College choice doesn't affect it, if you're good enough, you will be accepted. If your chosen college is oversubcribed you may end up at a different college but still a Durham offer.

Loads of other stuff you might want to know/find interesting on the wiki.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hild Bede is renowned for being sporty and has huge grounds with lots of facilities. I don't go there, but my experience of the students is that they're very outgoing and great fun.
Castle, as you've said is obviously a good choice - it is the most oversubscribed. If you don't get into your top choice then you will probably still get into the university, but be moved into a different college.
Also, Hatfield or Collingwood are probably worth considering given your criteria, but definitely have a look at all of them in the prospectus. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
I applied to Grey which is supposed to be quite a sporty college. It's also quite big but without being too big I found. I went to the post-offer day in March which lasts two days and they took us out clubbing in the evening and those from St. Cuthbert's definitely seemed to be having the best time! Also when I arrived in Durham I walked past St. Cuth's and they had a massive speaker playing music out into the street so that seemed like a really fun college if that's what you're looking for. Personally I wanted to be in a hill college so Grey it was..I think choosing whether you want to be in a hill or bailey college is the most important decision, and whether getting your first choice is important because colleges such as Castle and Hatfield always seem to be oversubscribed.
Reply 4
ashton.alfred
Hey guys, hoping to apply to durham and was contemplating different college options, Im looking for Loads and loads of sport, namely rugby tennis and a nice gym (a basketball court and a sports centre would also be nice!), Good party life, very vibrant atmosphere and a fair amount of students, im leaning more towards University college on the website and prospectus looks the nicest, but as ive never seen it i cant be sure. Also does the college you apply to have any effect on your chances of getting an offer?? Thank you all, btw my enter button doesnt work so excuse the layout of this post :smile:

Most of us at Durham are hideously biased in favour of our own College so I suspect there's no bad College to be at. College choice definitely makes no difference to the prospect of an offer from Durham. In fact, from next year on, UCAS will be notified as soon as the Department make their decision without waiting to determine the College, so the UCAS offers will be made with no College assigned and you'll find out which College you're with shortly afterwards. This should mean University offers get out a little bit sooner than they might have done and this should also reassure everyone that the College choice has had no impact on the decision.

Here comes some more bias - do have a look at Collingwood - we came top of the college sport points table at the end of the year. We've already got one of the best College gyms (bias again) but we're planning to spend £300K on a bigger one, thanks to a huge fundraising effort and a fantastic donation from one of our alumni. We have an outdoor basketball court but if you want a College sports centre, Josephine Butler is the only College I know that has one of those, although Hild/Bede is vast and they could have almost anything in their grounds.
Reply 5
Errr sounds like Hild Bede would be a good choice for you!! Its a really sporty college with its own tennis courts and stuff, has a decent gym (UNLIKE the one at University College which despite how the pictures on the prospectus might make it look is actually ****) and is the biggest college so there will be plenty of 'party people' there...

Latest