The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2011 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I just went through the first 1050 posts in the 2009/2010 summer internship thread... my head hurts now.

I'm curious to know how you guys are preparing for the upcoming interviews and things. Are you reading books, blogs and/or newspapers? Anything specific you've found that's useful?
Reply 181
is a two pages cv ok for the applications?
figo0906

only if you have A LOT of relevant work experience/extracurriculars to cover. If not, I'd keep it to one page as this is the norm for uni students.
Hey, I was trying to fill out the KPMG app BUT, it wont let me. Ive loged in but theres no option for me to fill anything in. The only thing I can view is my old app which I applied for 3 years ago.
Reply 184
figo0906

Um, even people applying for Vice President positions use a 1 page CV... you're applying for a summer INTERNSHIP...
Reply 185
Swayum
I just went through the first 1050 posts in the 2009/2010 summer internship thread... my head hurts now.

I'm curious to know how you guys are preparing for the upcoming interviews and things. Are you reading books, blogs and/or newspapers? Anything specific you've found that's useful?

I've ordered a couple of books, reading bits of the FT most days, following the markets and trading shares.
Swayum

looking for anything in particular?
figo0906

Unless your putting down that you won the Nobel peace Prize. No.
Reply 188
Zweihander
looking for anything in particular?

I was just trying to work out when most banks start replying and see if anyone had any advice.
alvlstudentt
Hey, I was trying to fill out the KPMG app BUT, it wont let me. Ive loged in but theres no option for me to fill anything in. The only thing I can view is my old app which I applied for 3 years ago.

i thought KPMG apps opened in september?
Reply 190
Swayum
I was just trying to work out when most banks start replying and see if anyone had any advice.

According to my experience last year, most banks start to look at internship applications after graduate recruiting. So, that would be Nov, Dec, even Feb for back office.
But there are exceptions, UBS tends to start interviewing interns very early (Sep or Oct).
Reply 191
Once you've met the minimum grade requirements, how important are your marks/grades,etc?
Reply 192
After almost completing the UBS application, my first one, I feel like killing myself. Oh non existent Gods please help me... I haven't even done their test yet.
Reply 193
Miyavi
After almost completing the UBS application, my first one, I feel like killing myself. Oh non existent Gods please help me... I haven't even done their test yet.

I agree that competency questions and cover letters suck but tbh the tests are a piece of cake.
Reply 194
I just don't get why banks bother with cover letters/competency questions on application forms. I mean come on, they know they BSed when they applied, they know we'll BS, we know we'll BS, so why the formality? They should just have a little thing at the end of application forms allowing you to put additional information if you want to mention something like winning a trading game in bullet point form.

I'm working on technical interview questions right now rather than applications, might as well start learning now rather than leaving it to term time.
Swayum
I just don't get why banks bother with cover letters/competency questions on application forms. I mean come on, they know they BSed when they applied, they know we'll BS, we know we'll BS, so why the formality? They should just have a little thing at the end of application forms allowing you to put additional information if you want to mention something like winning a trading game in bullet point form.

I'm working on technical interview questions right now rather than applications, might as well start learning now rather than leaving it to term time.

seems like banks in the UK are lot more interested in competency/fit questions than technical questions
Reply 196
Verne_Lundquist
seems like banks in the UK are lot more interested in competency/fit questions than technical questions

I don't mind competency/fit questions very much at interviews, it's just a really silly thing to have on application forms I feel.
Swayum

you sir have some ******* patience lol, for that alone banks should hire you :p: surely you could have used the thread search button instead of going through 1050 pages lol

Swayum

also what sources are you using for these?
Reply 198
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
also what sources are you using for these?

Google searches give good results.
Swayum

Hey I've been wanting to do IB since I was 5 :hand:...True story

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending