The Student Room Group

Would it be bad the quit my placement early?

I’m currently on my 12 month placement with an accounting firm but I realise that it isn’t for me and have been applying for summer internships and off-cycle internships for Investment/Financial/Data/Business Analyst roles. Basically what I’m asking is what’s the worse that can happen if I quit my internship early? My placement offers a grad role if they’re happy with your performance and I’ve already accepted that I probably won’t be offered one if I leave early without a good excuse. I’ve been invited to a couple assessment centres and it’s pretty early so I’d say I have a good chance at getting one.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Hisksjd
I’m currently on my 12 month placement with an accounting firm but I realise that it isn’t for me and have been applying for summer internships and off-cycle internships for Investment/Financial/Data/Business Analyst roles. Basically what I’m asking is what’s the worse that can happen if I quit my internship early?

Is this part of your degree?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Is this part of your degree?

Yes
Original post by Hisksjd
Yes

You need to talk to you uni then as a matter of urgency.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
You need to talk to you uni then as a matter of urgency.

I will and my uni requires a certain number of weeks which I likely will have fulfilled considering I’m not quitting a placement entirely and more just swapping one for another. I will have a chat with them but I’m fairly certain they won’t have an issue since I’m still doing the required hours.
Original post by Hisksjd
I will and my uni requires a certain number of weeks which I likely will have fulfilled considering I’m not quitting a placement entirely and more just swapping one for another. I will have a chat with them but I’m fairly certain they won’t have an issue since I’m still doing the required hours.

Yes - I think that as long as they are aware and 'rubber-stamp' it then you will be OK but best to check.
Reply 6
Original post by Hisksjd
I’m currently on my 12 month placement with an accounting firm but I realise that it isn’t for me and have been applying for summer internships and off-cycle internships for Investment/Financial/Data/Business Analyst roles. Basically what I’m asking is what’s the worse that can happen if I quit my internship early? My placement offers a grad role if they’re happy with your performance and I’ve already accepted that I probably won’t be offered one if I leave early without a good excuse. I’ve been invited to a couple assessment centres and it’s pretty early so I’d say I have a good chance at getting one.

Hi, did you end up changing? Also as you said its part of your degree was this complusory on your course or optional? As mine was an optional placement however I am slightly wanting to leave now but am unsure if they would allow this. Did you have any problems?
Reply 7
Original post by snoopy1003
Hi, did you end up changing? Also as you said its part of your degree was this complusory on your course or optional? As mine was an optional placement however I am slightly wanting to leave now but am unsure if they would allow this. Did you have any problems?

No issues at all, just sent my resignation and let the placement team know and had my employer sign some form confirming that it was okay
Reply 8
Original post by Hisksjd
No issues at all, just sent my resignation and let the placement team know and had my employer sign some form confirming that it was okay

Thanks for letting me know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending