The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mwellno1
Hi, i got

B- Maths, PE. C- Info Systems. F - English.

I got 74% A in Maths prelim and 50 something % for English prelim

Can I appeal ??

Thanks

This is down to your school. I doubt an appeal for Maths will be made as moving from a B to an A doesn't happen often and 74% doesn't hold particularly strong evidence.

It's possible you may get an appeal to a C in English if you have other evidence of performing well in the subject, but I doubt this too.

Talk to your school about this when you can.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Inheritorz
Its just that I've got nothing to lose by making the appeal. I did work incredibly hard for the subject. Do you not think its worth it? I mean an A or B is a heck of alot better than a C.

You also have nothing to gain other than bragging rights. Like you said, unconditional and all that. :tongue:
If you got a C in your prelim, you're not going to get bumped up to an A. You'll get moved up to a B if you're very, very lucky!
So got a B in physics and english even though my physics tutor said i had got 84% give or take a few and for the last couple of years the A boundry is 70%. How could i get a B?!?!?! I got 89% in two different physics prelims and continuously scored very high on tests. What do you think the chances are of a successful appeal?
In english i have got 35/50 at least three times in a row in english and consistantely 19's and 21's under exam conditions doing essays. I also got like 75% in the second prelim, do you think this is good enough for an appeal?
Also my best friend has been getting in the 90's for biology throughout the year and they said she got a B even when she feels she nailed it. There has been so many freak results?!
I hate the SQA....
Original post by with respect to ex
So got a B in physics and english even though my physics tutor said i had got 84% give or take a few and for the last couple of years the A boundry is 70%. How could i get a B?!?!?! I got 89% in two different physics prelims and continuously scored very high on tests. What do you think the chances are of a successful appeal?

This sounds like a good chance to me. It's all down to the SQA, though.
Original post by with respect to ex
In english i have got 35/50 at least three times in a row in english and consistantely 19's and 21's under exam conditions doing essays. I also got like 75% in the second prelim, do you think this is good enough for an appeal?
Also my best friend has been getting in the 90's for biology throughout the year and they said she got a B even when she feels she nailed it. There has been so many freak results?!
I hate the SQA....

You are judged on your performance on the day, not on your performance throughout the year.

People make careless mistakes in exams. I'm assuming you are human...and therefore fallible.
Original post by Inheritorz
Its just that I've got nothing to lose by making the appeal. I did work incredibly hard for the subject. Do you not think its worth it? I mean an A or B is a heck of alot better than a C.

The SQA sends a list to your school of candidates that are allowed to appeal for any given exam. If your prelim was not better than your final grade then you simply won't be on that list and you won't be allowed to appeal. You can still ask your school though to see if you might be on the list because they have predicted higher grades for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
urghh my school wont answer their phone :/ does anyone know how much time i have to apply for appeals... is there a cut of point ?
Original post by cherryrose
urghh my school wont answer their phone :/ does anyone know how much time i have to apply for appeals... is there a cut of point ?

Unless it's needed to meet uni offers I wouldn't worry about it.
Hi there, I got two Cs in both chemistry and biology. Thing is, I got a C and a B in the prelim, was getting A's in past papers, and found the exam pretty straight forward. I've emailed my teachers for an appeal but what is gonna happen exactly. I honestly think my papers weren't marked either properly, or they made some sort of mistake. I looked the the answers and it's pretty much the same things I put. Give or take some marks. I believe I got at least a B in both. If not, a low A. Is this possible even if I didn't get than in the prelims? If they remarked it and found they were wrong, would I still get the grades? It sounds unlikely but I honestly have this gut feeling something isn't right.
Original post by andreas4792
Hi there, I got two Cs in both chemistry and biology. Thing is, I got a C and a B in the prelim, was getting A's in past papers, and found the exam pretty straight forward. I've emailed my teachers for an appeal but what is gonna happen exactly. I honestly think my papers weren't marked either properly, or they made some sort of mistake. I looked the the answers and it's pretty much the same things I put. Give or take some marks. I believe I got at least a B in both. If not, a low A. Is this possible even if I didn't get than in the prelims? If they remarked it and found they were wrong, would I still get the grades? It sounds unlikely but I honestly have this gut feeling something isn't right.

You will only get an appeal if you are on the list SQA sends out to schools for people who are eligible for appeal. You will only be on this list if what you were predicted (ie. prelim mark) is higher than what your actual exam grade is. Part of the appeals process is a remark. You won't get an appeal for the prelim you got a C in, and will probably be eligible for the one you got a B in so ask your teacher about it. How you did in past papers is irrelevant unless they were done in class under exam conditions.
Reply 650
Hi, I was just wondering if it's possiblanchor me to get an appeal from a B to an A? I met my conditions for uni but... I'd really love that A for higher Admin haha.
Original post by Amoeba94
Hi, I was just wondering if it's possiblanchor me to get an appeal from a B to an A? I met my conditions for uni but... I'd really love that A for higher Admin haha.

It's difficult getting an appeal from a B to an A, but you can always try if you are eligible for an appeal.
Reply 652
I'm wanting to do art/design after I leave school next year, so getting a B when predicted an A in Higher Art was a bit sad :frown: I got 95% in my prelim as well. If what was said before that it needs to be higher than what you got in the exam, and more than the boundary for A1, that it might be possible for an appeal?

EDIT: Looking back at that last sentence, and I don't think I understand myself, actually o-o
(edited 11 years ago)
I got a 2 in standard grade english, I was predicted a 1/1 and I got 1/1 on my prelim, would an appeal be wise here?

Also I got a B on intermediate 2 Art, this result REALLY annoys me. I've seen some A grade folios before and I know that my work is of that quality, if not higher. I don't think my written exam went badly. But I got 93% on my prelim and I was told by my teacher that my folio was a "definite A", and this result is particularly annoying because I have no idea where i've went wrong, as to lose over 50 marks. I know art is difficult to appeal, but what are my chances of having a successful appeal here? I can upload photos of my folio if that helps (although they're not clear)
Original post by auberjean
I'm wanting to do art/design after I leave school next year, so getting a B when predicted an A in Higher Art was a bit sad :frown: I got 95% in my prelim as well. If what was said before that it needs to be higher than what you got in the exam, and more than the boundary for A1, that it might be possible for an appeal?

EDIT: Looking back at that last sentence, and I don't think I understand myself, actually o-o

You should be eligible to submit an appeal, yes. Whether it's successful or not, it's impossible to tell.

Original post by UserUnavailable
I got a 2 in standard grade english, I was predicted a 1/1 and I got 1/1 on my prelim, would an appeal be wise here?

Also I got a B on intermediate 2 Art, this result REALLY annoys me. I've seen some A grade folios before and I know that my work is of that quality, if not higher. I don't think my written exam went badly. But I got 93% on my prelim and I was told by my teacher that my folio was a "definite A", and this result is particularly annoying because I have no idea where i've went wrong, as to lose over 50 marks. I know art is difficult to appeal, but what are my chances of having a successful appeal here? I can upload photos of my folio if that helps (although they're not clear)

If you are eligible for an appeal and your school has no problem in submitting one then you have nothing to lose. It depends what you got on your breakdown in English though, as appeals are based on each individual element.

Nobody can really tell you your chances of an appeal for art or any subject.
Original post by auberjean

Speak to your teacher, he'll be able to tell you if you are eligible for an appeal. It'll be easier to get one if it was just the written exam letting you down as opposed to the practical since it's harder to show extra evidence of work. Best of luck and well done on the B! :smile:
Original post by Ecosse_14

If you are eligible for an appeal and your school has no problem in submitting one then you have nothing to lose. It depends what you got on your breakdown in English though, as appeals are based on each individual element.

Nobody can really tell you your chances of an appeal for art or any subject.

I got a 1 for talk and a 2 for reading and writing, so would my prelim be enough evidence since it's an essay and close reading?
Original post by UserUnavailable
I got a 1 for talk and a 2 for reading and writing, so would my prelim be enough evidence since it's an essay and close reading?

You should be eligible for an appeal then and could get at least 1 of the 2's in reading and writing bumped up to give you a 1 overall. Speak to your teacher about it when you're back at school, they may have already submitted an appeal by then if you are eligible :smile: Remember it depends on the difficulty of the prelim and how lenient the marker was.
To everyone who is planning to appeal in order to meet a conditional offer: make sure your school files it ASAP as an emergency appeal on which a university place hinges. UCAS rules state that a university is only bound to accept you if you meet their conditions by 31st August, a deadline the SQA is not guaranteed to meet unless your school states this in the emergency appeal. On the other hand, if your offer is now showing "unsuccessful", you may still get in if you later manage to meet its conditions through appeal, as long as the appeal is decided before 31st August. In all cases phone the university and tell them you are appealing and there is a possibility you could still meet your offer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi,

I got a N/A for Higher Maths in the final exam but got a B in the Prelim would I be able to appeal and what grade would i proberbly get? Also would i be able to appeal higher history with a C when I got an A in the Prelim?

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending