The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Skiing kills us all in the end. :sadnod: :console:
mf2004
Always, always wear a helmet, always.

Don't let some idiot tell you to man up if you ever say you want to. I can get down pretty much any slope in any condition on skis or a snowboard and would never consider not wearing a helmet. Just make sure to get a comfy one.

I'd never tell someone not to wear a helmet, but let's face it, most skiers don't, do they? I can't say I've ever been at risk of head injury from the way I ski, because while I can go at a decent speed I'm always in control. I'd say that this applies to most skiers, and those who do take more risks also wear helmets.
It's easy to pick up.
Reply 23
I've twisted my legs many many times, but that's about it.
One time I was on holiday, and a woman had a black eye, naturally, I asked her why she had a black eye, and it was because she had been water skiing and the ski had flicked up in her eye.
Reply 24
RightSaidJames
I'd never tell someone not to wear a helmet, but let's face it, most skiers don't, do they? I can't say I've ever been at risk of head injury from the way I ski, because while I can go at a decent speed I'm always in control. I'd say that this applies to most skiers, and those who do take more risks also wear helmets.

Out of my friends who ski (all of them) nobody skis without a helmet, including the ones who can backflip even when they're just on a normal slope. Around here the only people who don't wear helmets are: British tourists, people from Paris and ski instructors. So yeah most skiers do now a days.

Your head is more exposed than you think, my sister got a real bad hit when she was going backwards and the back of her skis got caught in something. (not even going fast)
You can be going as fast as you would be on a motorbike and trees are even worse to hit than cars. wearing a helmet is just common sense imo

I don't wear a helmet just because of me but mostly because of other people, I can control myself, I can't control them.

If this sounds mean I'm sorry I'm tired and I think you should take safety on skis seriously :biggrin:

Also to the OP: remember that skiers that are further down the slope have priority over you.
What a retarded question....
Reply 26
That sounds fun :yep:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 27
xRoseberryx
I've never skiied before but always wanted to try. So I was going to take it up at Uni...but have head many a horror story about people getting injured out on the slopes.

To what extent is skiing dangerous. The last thing I want is a broken leg. And since I didn't learn when I was little, I probably will be very very bad at it...is there any point? I would love to go on a skiing holiday one day though...

I know a lot of people who didn't learn to ski until a later age and are just fine. It's pretty easy to pick up on and at least become proficient enough to not kill yourself like you imagine.

btw my flatmates are in the ski club at edi (which I'll probably be joining). Perhaps you should considering it. There will be people of all skill levels.
xRoseberryx
I've never skiied before but always wanted to try. So I was going to take it up at Uni...but have head many a horror story about people getting injured out on the slopes.

To what extent is skiing dangerous. The last thing I want is a broken leg. And since I didn't learn when I was little, I probably will be very very bad at it...is there any point? I would love to go on a skiing holiday one day though...

Go on the practice slopes, they will be quite gentle, not at all what you see in the downhill competitions on TV. Should be fine. They won't let you even near the steep slopes until you 've had lots of experience keeping your balance and improving your techniques.
I have never been injured, but yes I am going to be honest many people have died. I actually saved my friends life one time.
But anyway just look on the internet for tips or something...I watched this show on discovery channel (haha thats really lame I know) where this little boy was skiing and got hit by an avalanche but he knew what to do so he didn't die. Also the actress Natasha Richardson died from a skiing accident. I loved her since parent trap haha :frown: it was so sad.
mf2004
Out of my friends who ski (all of them) nobody skis without a helmet, including the ones who can backflip even when they're just on a normal slope. Around here the only people who don't wear helmets are: British tourists, people from Paris and ski instructors. So yeah most skiers do now a days.

Your head is more exposed than you think, my sister got a real bad hit when she was going backwards and the back of her skis got caught in something. (not even going fast)
You can be going as fast as you would be on a motorbike and trees are even worse to hit than cars. wearing a helmet is just common sense imo

I don't wear a helmet just because of me but mostly because of other people, I can control myself, I can't control them.

If this sounds mean I'm sorry I'm tired and I think you should take safety on skis seriously :biggrin:

Also to the OP: remember that skiers that are further down the slope have priority over you.

In every resort I've been to (and we make a point of going to ones that aren't too touristy or overrun by the English), hardly any skiers (not counting children) wear a helmet. Germany, Austria, France, Switzerland, you name it. When I went with the school no one was ever offered a helmet. Perhaps you go to different types of resorts, or maybe you really do take more risks than people like me. I can't say I've ever skied backwards or gone all that fast outside of the well-groomed pistes. I've never been in a crash either.
Actually since people started wearing helmets more often then there has been an increase in accidents and even deaths whilst skiing. Its because wearing the helmet gives people more confidence and they feel safer to go at faster speeds and take more risks.

You can be perfectly safe whilst skiing without wearing a helmet. I regularly go off Piste, and Ive never worn a helmet whilst skiing.
mf2004
x

Don't you have anything to say in response to my post above? I was looking forward to a good argument :frown:
Reply 33
RightSaidJames
Don't you have anything to say in response to my post above? I was looking forward to a good argument :frown:

I'll argue!!:mad:
blah blah blah in my experience blah stupid....incompetant
yadda don't wear a helmet yadda yadda yadda prepare to die YADDA.
xRoseberryx
I'll argue!!:mad:
blah blah blah in my experience blah stupid....incompetant
yadda don't wear a helmet yadda yadda yadda prepare to die YADDA.

... are you arguing for helmets, against helmets, or both? :p:

No matter which way you're arguing, you're wrong :biggrin:
Reply 35
BruinsFan91
Actually since people started wearing helmets more often then there has been an increase in accidents and even deaths whilst skiing. Its because wearing the helmet gives people more confidence and they feel safer to go at faster speeds and take more risks.

You can be perfectly safe whilst skiing without wearing a helmet. I regularly go off Piste, and Ive never worn a helmet whilst skiing.

Do you have a source ? I find this hard to believe as the french ski federation is trying to force esf ski instructors to wear them.

RightSaidJames

Of course I do

RightSaidJames
In every resort I've been to (and we make a point of going to ones that aren't too touristy or overrun by the English), hardly any skiers (not counting children) wear a helmet. Germany, Austria, France, Switzerland, you name it. When I went with the school no one was ever offered a helmet. Perhaps you go to different types of resorts, or maybe you really do take more risks than people like me. I can't say I've ever skied backwards or gone all that fast outside of the well-groomed pistes. I've never been in a crash either.

Never skied in Germany or Austria.
When I go to the local small swiss resort (in the jura really tiny) absolutely everyone wears a helmet, but this place actually has no tourists ever, cause you never know if there'll be enough snow so it's only good for people who can drive up on the day.
In France I ski in a more touristy area and you sea a lot less people with helmets but to me it seems like most young people wear them, everyone in the ski club/ski school have them (not just the small kids everyone up to 20) There was this guy in our class who didn't have a helmet on the first day 2 or 3 years ago, he was probably around 16 or 17. He was the only one XD came back the next they and he had one haha.

I don't think I take many more risks, skiing backwards is usually safe if it's flatish ^^. The only bad injury I can remember I've done on skis was to my neck when I was nearly still (it was sore for a few months nothing bad really) and I've never been in a crash either. My helmet's 3 years old now and doesn't even have a scratch. But when you look at how some people ski: very fast straight down don't know how to turn :rolleyes: (literally, this mostly happens in the slightly more touristy place) there's always a risk they'll go straight into you even if you're just standing waiting for friends.
And if you ski in a group there can be 4-5 of you who could all hold each others hands, imagine if someone falls: snowball.

Anyway you're not going to wear a helmet because of what I'm telling you so hopefully no one will ski in to you :smile:
mf2004
Do you have a source ?

It was In a Online article a couple of Years Back. Mostly People with Helmets on skiing into people without helmets.
Yeah, I guess I'm pushing my luck to an extent, but even in Courchevel (it wasn't my families' idea to go, we'd normally avoid places that touristy) I didn't notice anyone skiing out of their skill level or out of control... but then maybe we were just lucky *shrug*

Latest