The Student Room Group

Got the grades my University wanted, but still rejected?! [OCR Science]

I know this is a busy time on the forum right now, but just wondering whether anyone can provide a light at the end of the tunnel for me.

I applied to do Computer & Network Technology at Hertfordshire, and the requirements were 200 points, along with C in GCSE Science, Maths and English, or equivalent.

Results today, I got 240 points to go with my B in English and Maths GCSE, and a Merit in Level 2 OCR National Science.

My offer has however been rejected, and I've been placed onto my insurance course at Bedfordshire. I phoned Herts, and the supervisor said the problem is probably with my OCR Science, in that they did not consider it a GCSE equivalent. This is however untrue, as my Exam officer has said, the OCR National Level 2 @ Merit grade, is the equivalent to a B grade GCSE.

If the outcome is in my favour, and that the qualifaction is found to be equivalent, would they be obliged to provide me with an offer as I have met their criteria?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Please does anyone know if this is correct, have the university made a mistake?
Reply 2
They are not obliged at all; the offer doesn't state what is equivalent to them- you really should have checked beforehand.

It may be worth begging them, but since you already have you're unlikely to be accepted, sorry :frown:
Reply 3
The course details page just says 'Equivalent qualifications welcomed', and since this OCR National is a GCSE equivalent, I assumed it would be 'welcomed'. :confused:
Reply 4
If you can prove it is equivalent, then it is still a contract and they should give you your place
Trinitron
The course details page just says 'Equivalent qualifications welcomed', and since this OCR National is a GCSE equivalent, I assumed it would be 'welcomed'. :confused:

Just because you're exam officer said "OCR National is an equivalent" doesn't mean the uni thinks it is. You should have checked with them before
My gut instinct is that you are right, however I am no expert. What steps are you taking now? I would assume that they would have no choice but to offer you the original place reserved for you because technically you have met the conditions if they accept the appropriate alternative qualifications.
Get your headteacher to ring on your behalf now that you've had a go too, mine did when I thought my firm choice was doing something dodgy, and I was very impressed. Or ring the exam board and ask them to confirm they're equivalent grades to the university? It's along shot, but worth a try.
Reply 8
Many of the courses that are supposed to be 'gcse equivalent' (or a level equivalent etc.) are often considered less valuable than that by some universities. You may be able to persuade them to let you in, but you probably won't be able to make them take you, unless it says specifically on their website (or other official publication from them) that your qualification is acceptable. What I think they're getting at with the 'welcomed' line is that if you talk to them beforehand they might consider offering on other qualifications to what they usually do; it's just there not to put people off applying.
Reply 9
I've sent the email the supervisor asked for, with my GCSE results in, as he said they would look over them to see whether they have made a mistake or if they can accept it. Not sure what to do now, just wait for a reply I suppose.
Reply 10
there is no contract in existence - just an "invitation to treat"

they can do what they want unfortunately
Reply 11
That's not the only thing bugging me, why on earth do they wait until now to tell me the qualification is not considered an equivalent? They've had my details since last year, I would have expected them to tell me sooner that they only accept GCSEs.
Reply 12
Just thought I'd let you know the outcome of this. After getting the email I and my exam officer sent, I received a phone call from Hertfordshire on Tuesday, with the lady telling me that it looks like it has been an error on their part, and that as long as I still want to go there, then they will ask Bedfordshire to release me and get UCAS to change my status from 'Insurance' to 'Firm'. If accommodation cannot be found due to my later-than-scheduled enrollment, then they are happy to defer my place until next year, which would also suit me fine.

So glad it's being sorted out, and that the University owned up to making a mistake when considering my OCR National as an equivalent GCSE.
Reply 13
Trinitron
Just thought I'd let you know the outcome of this. After getting the email I and my exam officer sent, I received a phone call from Hertfordshire on Tuesday, with the lady telling me that it looks like it has been an error on their part, and that as long as I still want to go there, then they will ask Bedfordshire to release me and get UCAS to change my status from 'Insurance' to 'Firm'. If accommodation cannot be found due to my later-than-scheduled enrollment, then they are happy to defer my place until next year, which would also suit me fine.

So glad it's being sorted out, and that the University owned up to making a mistake when considering my OCR National as an equivalent GCSE.
Good news indeed :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending