The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lottiebubble
Ohhh gosh...I hope its not totally random :/

I always thought it was random selection with the people who were left over, but I'm not sure :P

Nothing left to do but sit and wait now I guess. They don't usually send out accommodation details until september, so we've got a while!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
cryfield massive. I like this thread!

Surely those of us who put it as our first choice will get it...it doesn't seem as popular as the ensuites or rootes. Ahh I want to find out already!
Reply 22
We don't know exactly how it's done. But it's probably something like:

people randomly allocated to first choice, people randomly allocated to second choice that didn't get first, then third, fourth, fifth etc. Those that are left then get put into whatevers left despite preference.

(hence there being no point as putting somewhere over subscribed 2nd, like JM)

There definately is some kind of preference weighting
Kakabix
It's a random computer ballot but I always thought that means when they have too many applicants for one accommodation, who gets in is random.

Yeah, that sounds right
Reply 24
Kakabix
Strange question but you didn't happen to be in cryfield 3 the past year did you?

Yes! Do you know me? :eek:
Reply 25
Katie_louise
Yes! Do you know me? :eek:

If you lived on the ground floor, yes! It's Sam's girlfriend here, hiii!
These threads aren't typically made until the accommodation offers are made :p: Some of you might not get Cryfield still.

mituozo
We don't know exactly how it's done. But it's probably something like:

people randomly allocated to first choice, people randomly allocated to second choice that didn't get first, then third, fourth, fifth etc. Those that are left then get put into whatevers left despite preference.

(hence there being no point as putting somewhere over subscribed 2nd, like JM)

There definitely is some kind of preference weighting

Kakabix
It's a random computer ballot but I always thought that means when they have too many applicants for one accommodation, who gets in is random.

They use a program called KxStudent. That's how far I've gone with the investigative work. :p: Now we need to find out what system Kxstudent uses. But I think it is a 'game theory' optimisation method - perhaps 1st choice is given a score of 1 and 2nd a score of 2, etc. Then the idea is to allocate so that you minimise the total score of everyone's options.

As a result I actually believe there is a optimal method to getting specific halls. But writing about such methods on here will make more people choose that method, which will distort results and another optimal method will exist.
Reply 27
TheTallOne
These threads aren't typically made until the accommodation offers are made :p: Some of you might not get Cryfield still.

I think it was more a "who put it as first choice?" thread, since it seems most people go for en suites or rootes as a first choice and it's not easy to find people who've gone for cryfield!

On a side note, I've heard lots of stories of people not getting any of their choices and they end up happy anyway, so I figure it's not the end of the world if I don't get put where I want to be.
Kakabix
On a side note, I've heard lots of stories of people not getting any of their choices and they end up happy anyway, so I figure it's not the end of the world if I don't get put where I want to be.

True :smile:

I think more people go for Cryfield than you think - it is the cheapest :smile:
Living in Cryfield is nothing to be proud of.
Reply 30
TheTallOne
True :smile:

I think more people go for Cryfield than you think - it is the cheapest :smile:

That's true. My only feeling when applying for accommodation was that I didn't want an en suite, so since one wasn't my first choice I don't think that'll happen!
lottiebubble
I'm really hoping its NOT random selection :P

I was looking through all of the different places and ultimately...Cryfield is around a grand cheaper than the others? Yes please. That means I can buy like 50% more pasta :biggrin:

I like the way you think!
Reply 32
TheTallOne

They use a program called KxStudent. That's how far I've gone with the investigative work. :p: Now we need to find out what system Kxstudent uses. But I think it is a 'game theory' optimisation method - perhaps 1st choice is given a score of 1 and 2nd a score of 2, etc. Then the idea is to allocate so that you minimise the total score of everyone's options.

As a result I actually believe there is a optimal method to getting specific halls. But writing about such methods on here will make more people choose that method, which will distort results and another optimal method will exist.

Basically put your real first choice 1st, then find out which hall is most over subscribed, put that 2nd, then the following 3rd, etc.

Good thing I put Rootes, JM, Tocil then. :p: (As far as getting into rootes goes)
Reply 33
Kakabix
If you lived on the ground floor, yes! It's Sam's girlfriend here, hiii!

Ahh yes... I have played monopoly and been ice skating with you :biggrin: So are you a Cryfield convert? It will be even better next year with all the work they are doing to it.
Reply 34
mituozo
Basically put your real first choice 1st, then find out which hall is most over subscribed, put that 2nd, then the following 3rd, etc.

Good thing I put Rootes, JM, Tocil then. :p: (As far as getting into rootes goes)

That's what I did :p:
You guys, I wouldn't get too happy about Cryfield. Not everyone may end up in their first choice.
Reply 36
Matt_1892
That's what I did :p:

Hah, great minds think alike. Originally I had Westwood in at #3. Decided to have it taken out though. :p:
Reply 37
I wish I had put blockers in, hmm, I put mine in order of cheapness :P I won't be too devastated if I get my 2nd choice, but I didn't earn enough money this summer to have nothing left from my loan :s-smilie: so I don't really want to end up in JM
Reply 38
.:excel4100%:.
You guys, I wouldn't get too happy about Cryfield. Not everyone may end up in their first choice.

Yep, I've probably spoke too soon and tempted fate.

mituozo
Hah, great minds think alike. Originally I had Westwood in at #3. Decided to have it taken out though. :p:

Just seen I put Whitefields as my #3 after JM, might be a bit of a risky one that...
Reply 39
Matt_1892
Yep, I've probably spoke too soon and tempted fate.

Just seen I put Whitefields as my #3 after JM, might be a bit of a risky one that...

Whitefields right by the union, so probably lots of people that pick it. Could be completely wrong though. I have whitefields in #4 anyway. Then Cryfield #5.

Latest