The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
L i b
Have a word with the vigilante unit of your local, friendly paramilitary group. They likely hate foreigners as much as they hate fenians/Brits (delete as appropriate).

Although he's being sarcastic, this is probably the best route to take.
Ewan
I think it's up to the landlord how many can live there. If they are making excessive noise you can report them to the police though.

Nope, it's not up to the landlord. If there is more than one person renting the property who is not related to the other residents with a total number of residents of three or more, it needs to be registered as a house in multiple occupation.

Landlord will only get this registration if it meets certain conditions such as fire doors to meet stringent health and safety regulations.

One of these is a restriction on the number of people allowed to be resident in the property, depending on its size, sanitation and washing facilities and number of habitable rooms.
Reply 22
Yes, call them and complain that the people next door don't speak English. That will work.
no
Reply 24
cantstop-x
Ahhh.. such a good, positive impression of Belfast given here :p:

Literally just stole my comment.
Reply 25
marcusfox
Nope, it's not up to the landlord. If there is more than one person renting the property who is not related to the other residents with a total number of residents of three or more, it needs to be registered as a house in multiple occupation.

Landlord will only get this registration if it meets certain conditions such as fire doors to meet stringent health and safety regulations.

One of these is a restriction on the number of people allowed to be resident in the property, depending on its size, sanitation and washing facilities and number of habitable rooms.

First thing to point out is that some real **** holes can be granted HMO status, the requirements really aren't particularly strict (or enforced). My house is a HMO registered flat, and it doesn't have anything different from the flats my friends have which aren't.

But the OP says she's seen six people living in a four bedroom house. Even assuming there's maybe two extra people, that's not insanely unreasonable in a house with four bedrooms and two living rooms. Basically, the OP hasn't really said anything so far which suggests that the people in question are breaking the law, aside from noise complaints which should be treated as they would if you had any other noisy neighbour.
Lizia
First thing to point out is that some real **** holes can be granted HMO status, the requirements really aren't particularly strict (or enforced). My house is a HMO registered flat, and it doesn't have anything different from the flats my friends have which aren't.

But the OP says she's seen six people living in a four bedroom house. Even assuming there's maybe two extra people, that's not insanely unreasonable in a house with four bedrooms and two living rooms. Basically, the OP hasn't really said anything so far which suggests that the people in question are breaking the law, aside from noise complaints which should be treated as they would if you had any other noisy neighbour.

Well of course, but the internal doors must meet fire regulations to be granted HMO status, plus when you are granted HMO status, your license has the maximum occupancy listed on it.

And rooms like dining room and living room can be counted as habitable rooms - kitchen and bathrooms cannot.

For a standard four bedroom house, six people is perfectly fine.
Reply 27
Thanks for all the advice people. Firstly I am going to check this out via the council and see what they say about this. However I am just going to enquire about this anonymously and basically say i don't know how many people are living in the house. . Maybe they will bring someone round to look into this. But i'm sure there are more than 6 people in this house. I mean an asian guy buys the house rents the rooms to polish people, what does he care how many people live in the house, so long as he gets his money. Yet its probaly tax payers money hes getting because they don't work.

Makes me sick if you ask me.
Reply 28
misstalkalot
Thanks for all the advice people. Firstly I am going to check this out via the council and see what they say about this. However I am just going to enquire about this anonymously and basically say i don't know how many people are living in the house. . Maybe they will bring someone round to look into this. But i'm sure there are more than 6 people in this house. I mean an asian guy buys the house rents the rooms to polish people, what does he care how many people live in the house, so long as he gets his money. Yet its probaly tax payers money hes getting because they don't work.

Makes me sick if you ask me.

Taxpayers money? Doesn't affect how much landlord gets or how many people stay there.
Reply 29
Okay, updating this, i have actually found out that the living room and dining room has been turned into a bedroom. So that is 6 in total. Not sure whether this makes a difference or not but i dn't know what the laws are about this.
Reply 30
misstalkalot
Okay, updating this, i have actually found out that the living room and dining room has been turned into a bedroom. So that is 6 in total. Not sure whether this makes a difference or not but i dn't know what the laws are about this.

Did the landlord convert them into bedrooms? That sounds like pretty standard practice.

Latest

Trending

Trending