The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Best to e-mail universities in question.
Reply 2
probably
Reply 3
I would be hugely shocked if they didn't accept it, I've known universities to accept an A in FM instead of an A* in Maths.
It should do, because Further Maths is really a more difficult subject.
Reply 5
I would hope so. You do need to email the unis though.
:facepalm2: further maths, well is further so more difficult to get an A* so I wouldn't worry too much.
Reply 7
I think that only UCL and LSE actually specify maths to be the A*, but email them to check if further maths would make up for it. If I were you I would retake maths to get the A* though.
Reply 8
Ray_Han
I think that only UCL and LSE actually specify maths to be the A*, but email them to check if further maths would make up for it. If I were you I would retake maths to get the A* though.

UCL and LSE aren't exactly the biggest fans of applicants who retake, espicially after our two years in sixth form/college
Reply 9
W.H.T
UCL and LSE aren't exactly the biggest fans of applicants who retake, espicially after our two years in sixth form/college

Oh you've done your maths in two years? It is going be difficult to get an offer from them in that case, especially if the further maths is outside the two years. You might have a chance with Warwick if you A* in another subject though.
Ray_Han
Oh you've done your maths in two years? It is going be difficult to get an offer from them in that case, especially if the further maths is outside the two years. You might have a chance with Warwick if you A* in another subject though.

Why is Further Maths outside the two years?
Reply 11
goldsilvy
Why is Further Maths outside the two years?

I think he has done his maths A2 over two years, and got an A. Now, to improve his application, he wants to do further maths. Correct me if I am wrong though OP :o:.
According to Imperial College London Mechanical engineering department they don't care as long as you get A* in either of them
Reply 13
Ray_Han
I think he has done his maths A2 over two years, and got an A. Now, to improve his application, he wants to do further maths. Correct me if I am wrong though OP :o:.

yeah I've done 'normal' maths over the last two years, and I haven't done further maths before. So its not like I'm resitting anything with further maths, so are you saying they still won't consider me even if I get A* in it?
Reply 14
W.H.T
yeah I've done 'normal' maths over the last two years, and I haven't done further maths before. So its not like I'm resitting anything with further maths, so are you saying they still won't consider me even if I get A* in it?

I would email them about it. The further maths is ok and they would recognise it I suppose, but it is the maths which would be an issue.
Reply 15
kaosu_souzousha
According to Imperial College London Mechanical engineering department they don't care as long as you get A* in either of them

but it clearly says here that they want A* in maths and they don't mention A* in further maths:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/mechanicalengineering/entryrequirements
W.H.T
but it clearly says here that they want A* in maths and they don't mention A* in further maths:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/mechanicalengineering/entryrequirements

I wrote a letter and recieved a response from admission tutor David Robb that as long as you get an A* in either Maths or F.Maths you will meet their standart offer. In the end it's all mathemathics =P
Reply 17
*bump*
Ray_Han

Oh, my bad then :o: Thought OP did Further Maths as well and got A*.
Reply 19
I really doubt anybody would get A* in further maths but not in maths. It's irrelivant anyway since the unis you picked (and indeed all unis) make a max of A* in their offer.

I got 100/100 in C3 and 99/100 in c4
I got 83/100 in FP1, then resat and got 97/100, and got 80/100 in FP2.

So really, if you can get 90+ in FP2 but not C4 it was just an unlucky exam for C4 tbh.

Latest