The Student Room Group

now beginning to doubt my choice of psychology...

i am really interested in studying it, and wont be starting uni 'till 2011..so there's still time! But i've just recently realised how many uni's have their teaching based around experiements, statistics etc. I think the actual content of the course sounds interesting, but the really sciency stuff puts me off :s-smilie:. (I do know it is a science subject and will require some science, but just didn't realise how much it would be!)
Anyone know of uni's which aren't quite so 'sciency' in the way they teach psychology?
Reply 1
Most psychology degrees are scientific and research based. There may be some courses that are less scientific (I'm not sure about this though!) but these may not be accredited by the BPS, and if you are looking to have a job in psychology then you will want an accredited degree.

What is it about doing a psychology degree that interests you?
Isn't Psychology both a BSc and a BA, (as in it can be either) depending on where you study it? Or am I confusing it with another subject? If I'm not, try looking for BA Psychology courses.
Reply 3
I think you will struggle to find a psychology course at uni which doesn't contain the more 'sciency' elements, mainly because most courses are BPS accredited which means they all have to teach certain modules. Nearly all psychology courses will include some elements of neuropsychology and statistiscs (important for your dissertation). Your best bet is to look at different uni prospectuses or online at the course content, then you can decided if it's really for you :smile:
shootingstar!
i am really interested in studying it, and wont be starting uni 'till 2011..so there's still time! But i've just recently realised how many uni's have their teaching based around experiements, statistics etc. I think the actual content of the course sounds interesting, but the really sciency stuff puts me off :s-smilie:. (I do know it is a science subject and will require some science, but just didn't realise how much it would be!)
Anyone know of uni's which aren't quite so 'sciency' in the way they teach psychology?

Don't study psychology at university.
Me too, not that I wasn't aware about the science/maths side, but I'm concerned I'll find it too hard, particularly the maths side :o:
I'd advise that if you don't enjoy science it's probably not a good idea.
Reply 7
This is the reaction i feared :frown:... i've never even consider other options so don't have a clue what i'd do! I think it's more the social side which interests me.
shootingstar!
This is the reaction i feared :frown:... i've never even consider other options so don't have a clue what i'd do! I think it's more the social side which interests me.

Maybe sociology? or like someone else suggested a BA? If you really don't like science you will probably regret taking it tbh
Reply 9
A BA would probably be better i think, but i don't think very many Uni's offer them :s-smilie:. Do you think they are equally well respected?
shootingstar!
A BA would probably be better i think, but i don't think very many Uni's offer them :s-smilie:. Do you think they are equally well respected?

Well are you thinking of a career directly using your degree i.e. Clinical Psychologist? If you are then you need to do a degree which is BPS accredited, in which case there is no avoiding the science elements. I know at Sheffield your degree can be classed as Ba or BSc in psychology but there is no difference in course content, so I'm not sure how different other Ba courses will be in terms of the sciency content.

Perhaps look at none BPS accredited courses if you don't want a career in psychology, because then you might get more choice so you could focus on the social side?
As far as I know, the number of psy BAs have been decreasing over the years. My sister did a year of a psy BA at Sussex but I don't know if they still do it.

During my first year, the stats was probably my best bit. It's not too scientific though, at least not in the first year- it's pretty basic and you get a lot of help, especially with stats and lab reports (so don't worry).

I would say that the science (i.e. neuropsych) is the best part because a lot of the non-science is so ambiguous that it almost renders the discipline pointless (hence the move towards making psy more scientific).

If you'reonly really interested in the more social aspects of psy, you're probably better off doing sociology.
Reply 12
My gut instinct is to tell you to just do the psychology degree, if that's what interests you - the content will be way more interesting and more readily comprehensible to you than the boring stuff you probably hated in the physical sciences.

In terms of statistics, I'm guessing that most psychologists don't actually like them - they are just a means to an end. Ultimately, all you usually need to do is understand a few basic principles of statistics, which are just logic & common sense really, and memorise some recipes/rules of thumb for deciding what test to use in what type of situation.

Clinical psychology doesn't usually involve any stats on a day-to-day basis, but you'd need to know a bit about them to understand some of the literature. I suspect most people get by with a very rudimentary knowledge of stats.

I hated stats, avoided them at A-level, but working in a field which has a scientific literature has just got me used to using them. They've kind of grown on me.

Good luck & have fun!
shootingstar!

There are a few universitys that do BSc in Social Psychology. Although as they often meet BPS requirements, they will contain some degree of statistics and research methods.

BAs in Psych don't particularly exist, and if they do, I doubt their course content is much different.

I strongly suggest going for pure Psych. You might find you quite enjoy it.

Latest