The Student Room Group

Are my university choices realistic?

I want to study Drama at Exeter, Lancaster, Birmingham, Royal Holloway, Loughborough/Chester. I got AAAC in my AS Levels (English Lit, English Lang, Drama, Sociology) and dropped the C so hopefully will be predicted AAA/AAB.

Here are what the Universities want:

Exeter - AAA - ABB
Lancaster - ABB
Birmingham - AAB - ABB
Royal Holloway - AAB
Loughborough - AAB
Chester - BBC

I'm only asking because so many people get rejected when they have the right grades, do i need another safe option or should i go for it?

And how important is the personal statement/references in your application?

Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
allaboutdrama
I want to study Drama at Exeter, Lancaster, Birmingham, Royal Holloway, Loughborough/Chester. I got AAAC in my AS Levels (English Lit, English Lang, Drama, Sociology) and dropped the C so hopefully will be predicted AAA/AAB.

Here are what the Universities want:

Exeter - AAA - ABB
Lancaster - ABB
Birmingham - AAB - ABB
Royal Holloway - AAB
Loughborough - AAB
Chester - BBC

I'm only asking because so many people get rejected when they have the right grades, do i need another safe option or should i go for it?

And how important is the personal statement/references in your application?

Thanks a lot.

In my opinion, your personal statement is really important as most unis don't interview so it is the only way they can distinguish between candidates with similar grades. Although, they might be more likely to interview for drama, I'm not sure. Check their websites.

Your choices should be safe, if you think that there is a high chance of you getting at least AAB. It would probably be a good idea to apply for Chester as a backup choice though.
Reply 2
Hmm, I think you could probably apply for something higher as well as Exeter. Say, Bristol or Durham? You definitely need go no lower than Chester. Exeter is good but I think you seem like a high-flying candidate so you could go for Bristol. Yes, personal statements are pretty important, but if you get the right advice, much of which is on the internet, you can make it very good.

Latest