The Student Room Group

Russell Group university GCSE requirement and having grades higher than typical offer

I've posted several threads here asking questions about the GCSE requirements for certain unis/courses but unfortunately here is another one.

1)I've been told pretty much all Russell Group unis would like at least 5A*/A at GCSE, regardless of course and requirements but this could be just rumour. Does anyone have any concrete information on this mysterious 5A/A* standard.
Also, how strict are Birmingham and LSE on GCSES? I'm predicted above the A-level requirements for the course I want to apply for (which leads me on to my second question) but do not have great GCSEs.

2)My first choice uni and course (Birmingham, Social Policy) only requires BC with one extra as at B or BBC with no extra as whereas I'm predicted A*AB (or maybe an A, depending on how nice my classic teacher is and I was only 4 marks off...anyway :tongue:) with an addition as at grade B with another one in critical thinking on the way. Is it possible for a uni to reject me if I'm quite far above what they are asking and it may look like I've just picked them for an insurance? Also along with personal statement/reference/interveiw going well could there be any chance of an unconditional offer?

Thank you :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I believe Birmingham Medical School; AND Economics [+ w/ maths); Law at LSE are obsessed with GCSEs, i.e 8/9A* +, but for most other courses, you should be fine, however, I'm not 100% sure about other LSE courses. Do you have any A* grades at GCSE? I know some people with 2-4A* going to LSE for one or two courses (not Economics/Law, though).

They will not give you an unconditional offer unless you have obtained those grades already, no matter how good your predicted grades are.

I've heard some accuse universities of doing that (rejection due to insurance thing), but I think it's quite rare or simply a rumour.
Reply 2
I got A*AAAAABBC at GCSE and got conditionals from 4 RG unis, one of which was Birmingham. I doubt the number of A* you have would matter to them.

If your predicted grades are far above what they usually offer then I expect you would be given a conditional - not a rejection. Unis want the best they can get.
Reply 3
radmuffin
I believe Birmingham Medical School; AND Economics [+ w/ maths); Law at LSE are obsessed with GCSEs, i.e 8/9A* +, but for most other courses, you should be fine, however, I'm not 100% sure about other LSE courses. Do you have any A* grades at GCSE? I know some people with 2-4A* going to LSE for one or two courses (not Economics/Law, though).

They will not give you an unconditional offer unless you have obtained those grades already, no matter how good your predicted grades are.

I've heard some accuse universities of doing that (rejection due to insurance thing), but I think it's quite rare or simply a rumour.

Birmingham medical school though, not the standard university of Birmingham?
I just looked at LSE the website and it says 4A* minimum, with 6A* desired. Nope, I have no A* at GCSE (AAAABBCCDE were my GCSES) so it seems LSE will not be happening, despite the fact I'm predicted an A* at Alevel when the course demands BBB.

Okay, thank you for the unconditional offer advice as I'd heard different things.
I really hope it's a rumour and I'm sure it's made worse by the fact I'm going to be an early applicant :/ Do you think mentioning Birmingham in my personal statement will help? (I do definitely want to go there)
I only got 1 A* and only 3 As at GCSE but still got 4 Russel Group offers, including UCL. Don't worry about GCSEs, especially when your predictions exceed the requirement.
Reply 5
something_appropriate
I only got 1 A* and only 3 As at GCSE but still got 4 Russel Group offers, including UCL. Don't worry about GCSEs, especially when your predictions exceed the requirement.

Thanks, that's reassuring as my GCSEs are pretty poor for Russell Group Unis and compared to my AS grades.
Reply 6
clementinemary
Do you think mentioning Birmingham in my personal statement will help? (I do definitely want to go there)

no :p: the other four choices might be quite upset and you can't guarantee an offer from Birmingham.
Reply 7
conway!
no :p: the other four choices might be quite upset and you can't guarantee an offer from Birmingham.

I don't mind upsetting them, I don't want to go there :tongue: I want to find a way of being very certain I can get an offer from Birmingham and my last port of call was checking GCSE requirements as i'm pretty sure of my reference (well, I've seen it) and my PS.
I guess I should be a little more open but I'm worried about them thinking it's just an insurance when it's really my dream course at the nicest uni.
I got offers from 3 out of the 4 Russell Group universities that I applied for with okay GCSE's, not an A* in sight, as did tonnes of my friends. This was only this year - so unless they're going crazy for next year, I doubt it'll change
Reply 9
draculamountain
I got offers from 3 out of the 4 Russell Group universities that I applied for with okay GCSE's, not an A* in sight, as did tonnes of my friends. This was only this year - so unless they're going crazy for next year, I doubt it'll change

Excellent news, define 'okay' if you don't mind me asking cos TSR 'okay' seems to be pretty high.
Reply 10
Oh dear. I only got 3 As, 6 Bs 4 Cs..... and I'm applying to Leeds, Sheffield etc
But my AS result were AABB, predicted AAA. I'm worried now :frown:
clementinemary
Excellent news, define 'okay' if you don't mind me asking cos TSR 'okay' seems to be pretty high.

I can't really remember, to be honest (because I'm not a massive TSR dork, probably) I think they were mostly B's with some C's and A's though.

Don't worry, I've never been into being the best and revising 19 hours a night and I got offers of achievable grades and I'm starting a Russell Group uni later this month (the one of my choices that typically gives the highest offer too...).

It's not scary attempting to get in one unless the course is ridiculously over applied to and even then, you'll probably still get a few offers!
Reply 12
I have 4 A*s (and 3 As) at GCSE and managed to get offers from Bristol and Southampton. I did get rejected from Warwick but they are regarded as a top 5 uni for Economics. What is probably just as important as the quantity of A*s is what subjects they are in, so core subjects and those relevent to your potential degree will be given priority. On a side note, I was predicted to exceed all of said universities' offers though mind.
Reply 13
kim1234567
Oh dear. I only got 3 As, 6 Bs 4 Cs..... and I'm applying to Leeds, Sheffield etc
But my AS result were AABB, predicted AAA. I'm worried now :frown:

Don't worry at all :biggrin: your GCSEs are much better than mine (as in you have 5 more than me and none failed lol) and I'd only heard bad things about Birmingham and LSE in terms of GCSE so you should be fine and dandy ahah. What course?
Reply 14
draculamountain
I can't really remember, to be honest (because I'm not a massive TSR dork, probably) I think they were mostly B's with some C's and A's though.

Don't worry, I've never been into being the best and revising 19 hours a night and I got offers of achievable grades and I'm starting a Russell Group uni later this month (the one of my choices that typically gives the highest offer too...).

It's not scary attempting to get in one unless the course is ridiculously over applied to and even then, you'll probably still get a few offers!

That's cool and nah I'm not worried about anything apart from Birmingham's policy really ahah. They're mainly fairly subscribed to courses but not exactly law at oxford haha.
Reply 15
NAJC
I have 4 A*s (and 3 As) at GCSE and managed to get offers from Bristol and Southampton. I did get rejected from Warwick but they are regarded as a top 5 uni for Economics. What is probably just as important as the quantity of A*s is what subjects they are in, so core subjects and those relevent to your potential degree will be given priority. On a side note, I was predicted to exceed all of said universities' offers though mind.

I have 0 A* so no subjects for them to be in really :P but my A's are in English lit, lang, R.E (which I'm predicted A* for at A level so..) and history which are vaguely related to my course but I didn't do the one subject (sociology) that has direct links with my course at GCSE or A level so it's not a problem of that. By how many grades did you exceed?
And my course is nowhere near as competetive as an economics degree luckily.
Reply 16
clementinemary
Don't worry at all :biggrin: your GCSEs are much better than mine (as in you have 5 more than me and none failed lol) and I'd only heard bad things about Birmingham and LSE in terms of GCSE so you should be fine and dandy ahah. What course?

English Language & Literature :yep:
I really want to go to Sheffield though, LOVE the accommmmm
Reply 17
clementinemary
I have 0 A* so no subjects for them to be in really :P but my A's are in English lit, lang, R.E (which I'm predicted A* for at A level so..) and history which are vaguely related to my course but I didn't do the one subject (sociology) that has direct links with my course at GCSE or A level so it's not a problem of that. By how many grades did you exceed?
And my course is nowhere near as competetive as an economics degree luckily.

For said universities the typical offers are: Warwick I needed AAAb-AAAC, Bristol AAA and Southampton AAB (I think). I had at AS aaacc(including General Studies). I was predicted A*AAb or A*AAa, I forget. The prediction excludes General Studies, I either wasn't predicted or told what I was predicted.
Reply 18
aprilterri
What were your GCSE results if you don't mind me asking. I'm re-applying to birmingham, for sociology and sociology and social policy. I don't think that they are that strict for GCSEs. I got an offer last year and did not get 5 A*/A although I did get all A to C. Why not email them and ask whether your GCSE grades will hinder you. Include the grades and your predicted grades. I think that its just rumours you should be fine.
Last year critical thinking was part of my offer so they should accept that too. Don't worry. If you need any more advice feel free to pm me.
They don't give unconditional offers if you don't have the grades.

Well I have AAAABBCC plus a D and an E (some mitigating circumstances with the E..ish) How many do you have A-C as eight is pretty low with the national average being 10 :/
I shall give them an email, thanks for the advice :smile:
Oh excellent, critical thinking was my fifth AS, predicted a B and doing the exam in January so that should be helpful. Well hopefully see you October 2011 :wink:
Reply 19
NAJC
For said universities the typical offers are: Warwick I needed AAAb-AAAC, Bristol AAA and Southampton AAB (I think). I had at AS aaacc(including General Studies). I was predicted A*AAb or A*AAa, I forget. The prediction excludes General Studies, I either wasn't predicted or told what I was predicted.

Okay, so pretty much similar predictions to me as I hope to have A*AAbb by the end of year 13 so that's reassuring. The highest asking offer for my course at any uni is ABCpass so I'm not worried about A-level grades, more gcses.

Latest

Trending

Trending