The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
aprilterri
I had 12 A-C. I just realised that I only put 10 on my UCAS form last year I better go and add the rest for this year lol. Your grades are great don't worry you wont be hindered. Just have a really good personal statement (don't mention a particular university) state why you like the course, skills you have etc.. and you should get an offer.
Fingers crossed we'll be seeing each other next September :smile:

Wow, the amount of GCSE most people have on TSR really surprises me, no one in our school (fairly nice london comp) did more than 10.5 and most did 9/9.5. Thank you for the tips and yeah, woo! :woo:
Reply 21
You shouldn't have a problem. My sister got AABBBBBBC and got into Birmingham( can't remember the course. She got something like ABBD at AS. People on TSR really exaagarate the importance of GCSEs. With A*AAB you should get in easy :smile:
Reply 22
clementinemary
I've posted several threads here asking questions about the GCSE requirements for certain unis/courses but unfortunately here is another one.

1)I've been told pretty much all Russell Group unis would like at least 5A*/A at GCSE, regardless of course and requirements but this could be just rumour. Does anyone have any concrete information on this mysterious 5A/A* standard.
Also, how strict are Birmingham and LSE on GCSES? I'm predicted above the A-level requirements for the course I want to apply for (which leads me on to my second question) but do not have great GCSEs.

2)My first choice uni and course (Birmingham, Social Policy) only requires BC with one extra as at B or BBC with no extra as whereas I'm predicted A*AB (or maybe an A, depending on how nice my classic teacher is and I was only 4 marks off...anyway :tongue:) with an addition as at grade B with another one in critical thinking on the way. Is it possible for a uni to reject me if I'm quite far above what they are asking and it may look like I've just picked them for an insurance? Also along with personal statement/reference/interveiw going well could there be any chance of an unconditional offer?

Thank you :biggrin:

In answer to your first question, no that isnt true. Universities understand that some people do better in A Levels than in GCSE, unless they specify GCSE grades in their entry requirements then I wouldnt worry, especially if you got all A*-C.

Second question, if your reference predicts you these grades then its very likely you will get an offer from them, however, you can still be rejected despite being predicted higher than theyre asking for. You can never guarantee getting an offer, especially when courses are becoming increasingly competitive.
Reply 23
THRASHx
In answer to your first question, no that isnt true. Universities understand that some people do better in A Levels than in GCSE, unless they specify GCSE grades in their entry requirements then I wouldnt worry, especially if you got all A*-C.

Second question, if your reference predicts you these grades then its very likely you will get an offer from them, however, you can still be rejected despite being predicted higher than theyre asking for. You can never guarantee getting an offer, especially when courses are becoming increasingly competitive.

I didn't get all A* to C, I got 8 A-C then a D and an E which worries me a bit because I did so few really. Thank you though :smile:
Reply 24
Junaid16
You shouldn't have a problem. My sister got AABB BBB BC and got into Birmingham( can't remember the course. She got something like ABBD at AS. People on TSR really exaagarate the importance of GCSEs. With A*AAB you should get in easy :smile:

Ahh thanks, very reassuring! yay, although it'll (fingers crossed) be A*AA at a level then another two AS at grade B rather than 4 full A-levels.
Reply 25
clementinemary
Ahh thanks, very reassuring! yay, although it'll (fingers crossed) be A*AA at a level then another two AS at grade B rather than 4 full A-levels.

No problem:smile: and your GCSEs aren't that bad 50% are As. I would even say maybe add one more 'dream uni' because if the requirements are BBBC? you are likely to get in, if everything else is in order.
clementinemary
I've posted several threads here asking questions about the GCSE requirements for certain unis/courses but unfortunately here is another one.

1)I've been told pretty much all Russell Group unis would like at least 5A*/A at GCSE, regardless of course and requirements but this could be just rumour. Does anyone have any concrete information on this mysterious 5A/A* standard.
Also, how strict are Birmingham and LSE on GCSES? I'm predicted above the A-level requirements for the course I want to apply for (which leads me on to my second question) but do not have great GCSEs.

2)My first choice uni and course (Birmingham, Social Policy) only requires BC with one extra as at B or BBC with no extra as whereas I'm predicted A*AB (or maybe an A, depending on how nice my classic teacher is and I was only 4 marks off...anyway :tongue:) with an addition as at grade B with another one in critical thinking on the way. Is it possible for a uni to reject me if I'm quite far above what they are asking and it may look like I've just picked them for an insurance? Also along with personal statement/reference/interveiw going well could there be any chance of an unconditional offer?

Thank you :biggrin:

The idea you need 5A* at GCSE to get into a Russell Group university is farcicle, usually you only need C+ in English and Maths at GCSE and the minimum requirements specified for A levels.
:lolwut: i certainly hope KCL doesn't want GCSEs that high, i only got A BB CCCCCC DDD. The wonders of comprehensive education :facepalm:

Funnily enough, as soon as i transferred to a sixth form college i got AAB with no effort whatsoever, and am predicted A*AAb next year :lolwut:
Reply 28
clementinemary
I didn't get all A* to C, I got 8 A-C then a D and an E which worries me a bit because I did so few really. Thank you though :smile:

What did you get in English and Maths, if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 29
I got offers from Russell Group uni's, including LSE, and my GCSE results were pretty average. No where near the 7/8A*s I hear floated around. I mean, the do seem to be nazi's, people with outstanding results get rejected but your PS and AS/predicted A2 grades do talk aswell.
Suppose it varies between different applicants.
Reply 30
clementinemary
Okay, so pretty much similar predictions to me as I hope to have A*AAbb by the end of year 13 so that's reassuring. The highest asking offer for my course at any uni is ABCpass so I'm not worried about A-level grades, more gcses.

What unis specifically are you looking at? Some of your shortcomings at GCSE may be offset by good A level predictions. Anyway, only the most competitive ones will have GCSE requirements, not all of them will have strict rules.
clementinemary

I just looked at LSE the website and it says 4A* minimum, with 6A* desired. Nope, I have no A* at GCSE (AAAABBCCDE were my GCSES) so it seems LSE will not be happening, despite the fact I'm predicted an A* at Alevel when the course demands BBB.

Link please!?!?
i'm kinda in your boat.
Reply 32
Junaid16
No problem:smile: and your GCSEs aren't that bad 50% are As. I would even say maybe add one more 'dream uni' because if the requirements are BBBC? you are likely to get in, if everything else is in order.

True about the 50% As thing, that seems encouraging. I have been told by college I'm aiming low but the course I want to do isn't offered anywhere for higher than ABC and that's at Bristol where I'm not to keen whereas I've visited both Birmingham uni and the wider city a few times and loved it.
Reply 33
Aspiringlawstudent
:lolwut: i certainly hope KCL doesn't want GCSEs that high, i only got A BB CCCCCC DDD. The wonders of comprehensive education :facepalm:

Funnily enough, as soon as i transferred to a sixth form college i got AAB with no effort whatsoever, and am predicted A*AAb next year :lolwut:

Nah, I don't think Kings are that bothered but yeah I'm in exactly the same situation with college and grades..GCSEs just didn't suit haha.
Reply 34
THRASHx
What did you get in English and Maths, if you dont mind me asking?

A in both English Lit and Lang (I have a high A at English Lit AS though, which my teacher said she'd never seen in a candidate with lower than A* at GCSE, weird) and in maths I got a C by one mark although luckily they don't know the C thing.
Reply 35
TimmonaPortella
Link please!?!?
i'm kinda in your boat.

It was on the UCAS website for my course (so check yours, it's under 'What student we are looking for section) actually sorry but
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/Q3KXZwiOGzsH2ZMtug_nStAdV5MUw-325N/HAHTpage/search.Hs

"An A* grade in GCSE English (or equivalent) is highly desirable, and we expect applicants to have a minimum of four A* grades at GCSE overall (five or six A* are preferable). You should also have studied at least one essay-writing subject to advanced level"
Reply 36
NAJC
What unis specifically are you looking at? Some of your shortcomings at GCSE may be offset by good A level predictions. Anyway, only the most competitive ones will have GCSE requirements, not all of them will have strict rules.

Specifically I am looking at Birmingham to do social policy, which I have heard prefers applicants with high GCSE results but I'm hoping my predictions, which are above what they're asking for, will offset the GCSEs I do (or don't :tongue:) have
Reply 37
clementinemary
Specifically I am looking at Birmingham to do social policy, which I have heard prefers applicants with high GCSE results but I'm hoping my predictions, which are above what they're asking for, will offset the GCSEs I do (or don't :tongue:) have

A good personal statement and interview (assuming they give you one) will also work in your favour. Do you have any achievements in extra curricular activities?
Reply 38
NAJC
A good personal statement and interview (assuming they give you one) will also work in your favour. Do you have any achievements in extra curricular activities?

I've got a fairly decent PS worked out but I need a few more drafts I think. I have some-I worked at polling stations at the election and for the labour party doing door to door stuff, helped young kids with problems reading with basic literacy and I went to a pretty prestigious drama school every saturday for 3 years. I also read a lot of articles and follow stories that relate to issues covered by my course such as dealing with young offenders and the welfare state. I've also spoken to people to gain some second hand experience of social work, care work and medical ethics.
Reply 39
Oh and quite a bit of travel in a Politics course which might be beneficial.

Latest

Trending

Trending