The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

History Freshers

just thought I'd create a thread for us History freshers, in case there are other people out there bubbling with questions like me!

I'll be doing single honours History, the modern stream. I've done French up to A level so I thought I might as well carry on with it, rather than doing the Renaissance option where you have to do Italian.

Have you picked your modules yet? I've narrowed it down to four: French social history (1800-1914), the history of Germany (1862- present), North America: themes and problems and War, Revolution, Reform: China since 1900. Can't quite choose two, though! Perhaps someone who's done the same modules might be able to tell me what each is like? They all seem to be assessed in a similar way so I suppose it's just the teaching and content that sets them apart.

I've also read on here that the core module, the Making of the Modern World, wasn't really enjoyed by many. Is that true?

Scroll to see replies

sarahussain
just thought I'd create a thread for us History freshers, in case there are other people out there bubbling with questions like me!

I'll be doing single honours History, the modern stream. I've done French up to A level so I thought I might as well carry on with it, rather than doing the Renaissance option where you have to do Italian.

Have you picked your modules yet? I've narrowed it down to four: French social history (1800-1914), the history of Germany (1862- present), North America: themes and problems and War, Revolution, Reform: China since 1900. Can't quite choose two, though! Perhaps someone who's done the same modules might be able to tell me what each is like? They all seem to be assessed in a similar way so I suppose it's just the teaching and content that sets them apart.

I've also read on here that the core module, the Making of the Modern World, wasn't really enjoyed by many. Is that true?

Personally I loved MMW, and the exam at the end is such a doss it hurts (doing Hist/Pol I had real exams at the end unlike pure history students).

North America is a good one to do for easy marks. I did Latin America last year, they're both part of the American Studies department and so MUCH easier than regular history modules.

Carrying on with French is a good idea as well, I would have done that but couldn't because of joint honours. That said, you do get to spend a term in Venice if you do the Renaissance stream. My mate's really looking forward to spending a few months with the fit Art History girls, but you probably don't care about that too much lol.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Callum828
Personally I loved MMW, and the exam at the end is such a doss it hurts (doing Hist/Pol I had real exams at the end unlike pure history students).

North America is a good one to do for easy marks. I did Latin America last year, they're both part of the American Studies department and so MUCH easier than regular history modules.

Carrying on with French is a good idea as well, I would have done that but couldn't because of joint honours. That said, you do get to spend a term in Venice if you do the Renaissance stream. My mate's really looking forward to spending a few months with the fit Art History girls, but you probably don't care about that too much lol.

Ahahaha no not quite, but good luck to your friend :smile:
Sounds good; I personally think I'll find MMW quite interesting so here's hoping!
North America? Easy marks? I'm doing it! No point in making things any harder for oneself, is there? Thanks for the info :biggrin:
sarahussain

Hi there
I am also a freshman and will be starting my history and sociology course this October. You are worried whether the Making of the Modern World Course is interesting.......well from the books that I am reading from the book list sent to us, it looks like a very informative and ejoyable module. Have you read any of them yet?
Reply 4
Heya, I'm going to be starting at Warwick in a couple of weeks and also studying History and I actually cannot wait!!! Really excited :smile:

Just thinking about modules....we have to pick 6 right? For the single honours modern stream anyway. I've narrowed mine down but finding it hard to prioritise them!

What accommodation are people in? I'm in Tocil - my first choice!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
University Student
Hi there
I am also a freshman and will be starting my history and sociology course this October. You are worried whether the Making of the Modern World Course is interesting.......well from the books that I am reading from the book list sent to us, it looks like a very informative and ejoyable module. Have you read any of them yet?

I'm on the first of Hobsbawm's books. Not gonna lie, it's boring me a little, which isn't a good sign. BUT I think once I do a bit more reading, it'll all become clearer!
Reply 6
Trooper30
Heya, I'm going to be starting at Warwick in a couple of weeks and also studying History and I actually cannot wait!!! Really excited :smile:

Just thinking about modules....we have to pick 6 right? For the single honours modern stream anyway. I've narrowed mine down but finding it hard to prioritise them!

What accommodation are people in? I'm in Tocil - my first choice!! :biggrin:

Six?! Ah I thought we only had to pick two? :s-smilie: I'm going to be doing the modern stream too.

I'm in Jack Martin, also my first choice!
Reply 7
sarahussain
Six?! Ah I thought we only had to pick two? :s-smilie: I'm going to be doing the modern stream too.

I'm in Jack Martin, also my first choice!

Yeah, we only end up doing 2 option modules but in our choices we have to put down 6 in order of preference, then from the random allocation we get 2 of those 6 modules :smile:
Reply 8
Trooper30
Yeah, we only end up doing 2 option modules but in our choices we have to put down 6 in order of preference, then from the random allocation we get 2 of those 6 modules :smile:

Thank you! I've only got 4 possible options so I'd better pick another two and put them in order of preference now. I think this might me a little difficult; too hard to pick >.<
Reply 9
sarahussain
Thank you! I've only got 4 possible options so I'd better pick another two and put them in order of preference now. I think this might me a little difficult; too hard to pick >.<

I know! And considering it's random allocation we can't get our hearts set on any particular module seeing as it's a 2 in 6 chance we will get it!

Also, can I just take this opportunity to say how HUGELY EXCITED I am about starting at Warwick. Literally can't wait - all my friends seem to move into their unis either this week or next - can't believe we have to wait until 2nd October!! Could these next 2 weeks go any slower?!?!?! Arghhh! :smile:
Reply 10
Trooper30
I know! And considering it's random allocation we can't get our hearts set on any particular module seeing as it's a 2 in 6 chance we will get it!

Also, can I just take this opportunity to say how HUGELY EXCITED I am about starting at Warwick. Literally can't wait - all my friends seem to move into their unis either this week or next - can't believe we have to wait until 2nd October!! Could these next 2 weeks go any slower?!?!?! Arghhh! :smile:

Yeah I have a lot of friends going tomorrow and there's me having to wait until the 2nd!

A teeny part of me is glad though, because I still have the latter 3 books on our reading list to get through. Oh dear.
We don't have to read them, right? I only read the 'Age of Revolution' because it was the only period I hadn't studied before... D:
Reply 12
MattCullum25
We don't have to read them, right? I only read the 'Age of Revolution' because it was the only period I hadn't studied before... D:

I'm not too sure. I reckon if you've studied a lot of it before, then you'll be fine, seeing as how it seems to be just background reading, probably more useful for those of us unfamiliar with the time periods in question. It'd be nice to know for sure though, because I might not finish them all in time for the 2nd...
I think I remember the email saying that it wasn't vital that we read them. I guess it would be better to read around the modules which we're thinking of taking!
Reply 14
My thoughts exactly! It'll mean a boring few days leading up to the 2nd October trying to finish them though... I'm hoping 'The Age of Capital' is more interesting than the 'Age of Revolution', in any case.
I thought the 'Age of Revolution' was really boring - I hope this isn't indicative of the course!
Reply 16
MattCullum25
I thought the 'Age of Revolution' was really boring - I hope this isn't indicative of the course!

I'm just glad I'm not the only who thought so! I was worried it meant History might not quite be the degree for me- though I'm sure it is ^_^

I'm sure I asked someone about this, and they said they thoroughly enjoyed the core module, so I guess it just depends on what kind of history you like. I quite like modern stuff, so I'm putting down my inability to enjoy 'Age of Revolution' to Hobsbawm's yawn-tastic prose. Half the time it just felt like he was listing stuff, to be honest!
I know! For someone who hasn't studied the French Revolution, like myself, I didn't feel he really explained it very well.
Reply 18
MattCullum25
I know! For someone who hasn't studied the French Revolution, like myself, I didn't feel he really explained it very well.

Yep, I felt like he assumed too much knowledge... or maybe I'm just a little dense! Ah well, the second one really does look a little better, and the third goes from 1914 onwards, doesn't it, so that is at least more familiar ground!
Hey guys, I'm a second year student doing history & politics, if you have any questions direct them at me.
For the people worried about Hobsbawm, honestly screw him :P I never bothered reading any of his tosh last year and got a good 2.1 in MMW so it's not at all necessary. MMW is quite interesting; some weeks more so than others.
North America isn't that easy! I had a module tutor who never gave anyone higher than a 62/100 so I honestly don't think that's the cast at all. Even so, if you like American history I highly recommend the course.

Latest