The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ok, thanks. I'm not sure if I will go for it - I am keeping on 4 A Levels so I have a lot of work on and I am also involved in a lot of extra - curricular things, would Warwick be likely to take those into account as well?

I mean things like Gold Duke of Ed, Music (Grace 8 in 2 instruments), Volunteering etc.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
alexx :)
Ok, thanks. I'm not sure if I will go for it - I am keeping on 4 A Levels so I have a lot of work on and I am also involved in a lot of extra - curricular things, would Warwick be likely to take those into account as well?

I mean things like Gold Duke of Ed, Music (Grace 8 in 2 instruments), Volunteering etc.

They could be a deciding factor, yes, but they can't make up for poor grades (I don't know yours so not saying they are poor just trying to show that ECs aren't that important) they can set you apart from candidates with similar grades.
Reply 22
danny111
They could be a deciding factor, yes, but they can't make up for poor grades (I don't know yours so not saying they are poor just trying to show that ECs aren't that important) they can set you apart from candidates with similar grades.

I have 4A's at AS and an A* already at A level maths (although not cashed in), so I hope I'm up there - I know other students will have grades like that as well though but I've done as well I could possibly do so I can only hope :smile: The only thing I feel might put me down a little is my subjects (maths, fm, spanish, history)... Spanish & History don't really have a lot to do with the course, although history does have the economical side, and economics is not available as a subject at my school, so I couldn't have done it anyway.
Reply 23
alexx :)
I have 4A's at AS and an A* already at A level maths (although not cashed in), so I hope I'm up there - I know other students will have grades like that as well though but I've done as well I could possibly do so I can only hope :smile: The only thing I feel might put me down a little is my subjects (maths, fm, spanish, history)... Spanish & History don't really have a lot to do with the course, although history does have the economical side, and economics is not available as a subject at my school, so I couldn't have done it anyway.

No worries, history and a language are good subjects. Also MORSE is not solely about economics so no worries there.
yo danny why do i always see you repping morse btw lol do you feel regret going to lse
Reply 25
Because I think it's a great course :smile:

And no I don't. At first I did admittedly, but I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. But by now I learned to love metrics and what better for that than EME at LSE?
danny111
Because I think it's a great course :smile:

And no I don't. At first I did admittedly, but I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. But by now I learned to love metrics and what better for that than EME at LSE?

That's interesting I was just having a debate of Warwick vs LSE, did you turn down LSE for Warwick?

Reading more about Warwick is actually making me favour it over LSE.

Although they're both really good and I'd be lucky to go to any.
Reply 27
Anita B. Studin
That's interesting I was just having a debate of Warwick vs LSE, did you turn down LSE for Warwick?

Reading more about Warwick is actually making me favour it over LSE.

Although they're both really good and I'd be lucky to go to any.

No, I put LSE as firm and MORSE as insurance (much to the dismay of my parents who wanted me to put UCL as insurance so I would be in London). I'm now starting 3rd year of EME at LSE. I just really loved MORSE and when it was decision time I was starting to be more interested in maths/stats than economics, that's why.

Indeed both are excellent, I wish you good luck getting in.
Hey guys, I was intending to apply to MORSE this year. I finished my a-levels and have got 3A*s in Maths, F.maths and Economics and an A in critical thinking AS and an A in the extended project. I am also self studying Physics a-level this year as well. I was wondering if I had a good chance at getting in. My gcse's are 5 A*s and 2 As and a distinction in ICT. Also, I have two B's in two modules in f. maths but the rest A's, so if I put the inidividual module grades on the form would that disadvantage me?
Reply 29
Hi, guys :hi:

Basically I am gonna be predicted A*A*A in maths, further maths and english literature and achieved 2 A's, 6 B's and a C at GCSE. Will this be enough for MORSE? Also will be taking STEP and AEA. My main gripe is the fact that I'll be applying with a personal statement for pure maths, is that alright? Also have got 100% for all core modules for maths, will this be looked at? And if I recieve the A*AAa offer then I will be re-sitting my 'c' in economics.
Ultimate1
Hi, guys :hi:

Basically I am gonna be predicted A*A*A in maths, further maths and english literature and achieved 2 A's, 6 B's and a C at GCSE. Will this be enough for MORSE? Also will be taking STEP and AEA. My main gripe is the fact that I'll be applying with a personal statement for pure maths, is that alright? Also have got 100% for all core modules for maths, will this be looked at? And if I recieve the A*AAa offer then I will be re-sitting my 'c' in economics.

Yes to the grades.
Yes to the PS - they accept PS from Maths, Econ and Stats backgrounds as it is a varied course.
Grades in modules - only if you put those grades down/are mentioned in the PS or reference.
You will most likely receive the A*AAa offer.

Thread's also gonna be merged with this one. Might be useful reading.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
TheTallOne
Yes to the grades.
Yes to the PS - they accept PS from Maths, Econ and Stats backgrounds as it is a varied course.
Grades in modules - only if you put those grades down/are mentioned in the PS or reference.
You will most likely receive the A*AAa offer.

Thread's also gonna be merged with this one. Might be useful reading.

OK thanks. Do you reckon it's likely to recieve an offer with my grades?
Ultimate1
OK thanks. Do you reckon it's likely to recieve an offer with my grades?

With a good PS and references, yes.

However I should add that the Stats department targeted only 65 places this year from students with Home/EU backgrounds. Should also add that there are 450 applications for these 65 places.

That's similar ratio to the 1700 Home/EU applicants for 240 places in Maths, and Maths makes offers to 93% of applicants (but less than a third who firm make the offer)

So for MORSE I wouldn't expect the offer rate to be that high - perhaps they make offers to around 50% of applicants (but to be honest I can't really tell).
Reply 33
TheTallOne

However I should add that the Stats department targeted only 65 places this year from students with Home/EU backgrounds. Should also add that there are 450 applications for these 65 places.

That's similar ratio to the 1700 Home/EU applicants for 240 places in Maths, and Maths makes offers to 93% of applicants (but less than a third who firm make the offer)

So for MORSE I wouldn't expect the offer rate to be that high - perhaps they make offers to around 50% of applicants (but to be honest I can't really tell).

Thanks, mate. But surely if they target 50%, then they must reject automatically those who do not meet the requirements? I'll try to make an excellent PS and hopefully get an offer.

Thanks.
Ultimate1
Thanks, mate. But surely if they target 50%, then they must reject automatically those who do not meet the requirements? I'll try to make an excellent PS and hopefully get an offer.

Thanks.

Your main A2 levels exceed the requirements - those are the once they care about. And there isn't an automatic rejection filter - they will at least print out your application and have a look at it. And with the A*A*A that will stand out they will consider it seriously.

LSE offer a yes, no, maybe system - they have rejection Fridays and offer Fridays. Each week they either sift through applications they want to reject or sift through applications they want to offer. Warwick will have a similar system.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
TheTallOne
Your main A2 levels exceed the requirements - those are the once they care about. And there isn't an automatic rejection filter - they will at least print out your application and have a look at it. And with the A*A*A that will stand out they will consider it seriously.

LSE offer a yes, no, maybe system - they have rejection Fridays and offer Fridays. Each week they either sift through applications they want to reject or sift through applications they want to offer. Warwick will have a similar system.

OK thanks very much, mate. You've been very helpful.
TheTallOne

Do you have any idea how many places there are L100 economics? Just wondering how many people I will be studying with.
Nightvision
Do you have any idea how many places there are L100 economics? Just wondering how many people I will be studying with.

Last year there were 2567 Home/EU applicants for Economics courses or EPAIS and 1410 Overseas applicants. [2101 and 1141 for 3 year Econ courses and 466 and 269 for EPAIS].

Number of entrants:
142 Home/EU and 117 Overseas for standard 3 year Econ courses
22 Home/EU and 18 Overseas for EPAIS.
164 Home/EU and 135 Overseas total in Econ.

Target for Home/EU is 130 last year overshot by 34.
(edited 13 years ago)
TheTallOne
Last year there were 2567 Home/EU applicants for Economics courses or EPAIS and 1410 Overseas applicants. [2101 and 1141 for 3 year Econ courses and 466 and 269 for EPAIS].

Number of entrants:

So 130-170 then this year I guess, cool.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
TheTallOne

Number of entrants:

Could you tell me please where you found that data?

Latest