The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The West Wing
How much information do you have? As a general rule put as much as you can because the alternative might be an accusation of plagiarism.

I got like 8 lines between the two journals..I got the journal title and the journal name, would that still not be enough?
Original post by Swimmer
I got like 8 lines between the two journals..I got the journal title and the journal name, would that still not be enough?

I don't think that would be sufficient.

Can you look in your internet search history or something? I would seek advice from a tutor or the person running your course on what to do, but make sure you cover yourself against an accusation of plagiarism.
Original post by The West Wing
I don't think that would be sufficient.

Can you look in your internet search history or something? I would seek advice from a tutor or the person running your course on what to do, but make sure you cover yourself against an accusation of plagiarism.

Thankfully i found the authors name and the date :P
Reply 1983
God, Tort is torture. So so many cases. (You see what i did there?)
Original post by yl_llb
God, Tort is torture. So so many cases. (You see what i did there?)

True. Wat cases u using for Duty of Care?
hi, this may be difficult to understand but here it goes..

in criminal trials, jurors are not required to give reasons for their verdict. but, if the trial was conducted by a judge, would he/she always need to provide reasons? is there a law which upholds this?

much appreciated if anyone knows
Original post by High As A Kite

in criminal trials, jurors are not required to give reasons for their verdict. but, if the trial was conducted by a judge, would he/she always need to provide reasons? is there a law which upholds this?

If a judge doesn't give a judgment, then no one will know his reasoning. This means that an appeal would probably be given. Then the judge would probably be frowned upon by the law commmunity... If he continues to just say his decision, he'd probably be dismissed - Pretty sure both houses of Parliament can dismiss a judge collectively, not entirely sure though.
Original post by High As A Kite

I think they have to - there's a case where the judge conducted it and gave a (horribly long) judgment filled with reasons on the facts and the law. I think it might have been something like R v Tookam [2010] but I could very well be wrong about the name. It was about 4 robbers, I think.
Reply 1988
1st year. manchester met. what am i in for? i only really applied because the pays good when you get a job and i like arguing... how hard is a law degree lol.
Reply 1989
Original post by Hazza92
1st year. manchester met. what am i in for? i only really applied because the pays good when you get a job and i like arguing... how hard is a law degree lol.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but getting a TC is like finding the holy grail these days.

2.1's from top universities are as 'predictable as ugg boots' according to one MC partner i spoke to. Every Tom, Dick and Harry has the pre-requisite 'i fed a starving child in Africa' addition to the CV and every Tom, Dick and Harry has the same extra-curric stuff.

So, it is really tough at the present time, you have to REALLY want this. The pay isn't great, that is a myth, it is stable pay IF you get a TC and qualify. But mark my words you are in for a tough ride. Partners do very well though in terms of how much they are paid, but that is a long way off yet.

You have to prepare for the possibility of stacking shelves and basically writing apps to as many work experience areas you can (which are relevant), and this is after you graduate.

And yes, of course it is depressing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hazza92

lol wat
Original post by zaliack
If a judge doesn't give a judgment, then no one will know his reasoning. This means that an appeal would probably be given. Then the judge would probably be frowned upon by the law commmunity... If he continues to just say his decision, he'd probably be dismissed - Pretty sure both houses of Parliament can dismiss a judge collectively, not entirely sure though.

Original post by gethsemane342
I think they have to - there's a case where the judge conducted it and gave a (horribly long) judgment filled with reasons on the facts and the law. I think it might have been something like R v Tookam [2010] but I could very well be wrong about the name. It was about 4 robbers, I think.

thank you for the replies. i gather from your repsonses that it has become a precedent/unwritten requirement for judges to do so? or is there some statute which requires them to?
I have just spent 3 hours trying to work out whether Edwards v Chesterfield alters the decision in Gunton v Richmond-upon-Thames. The futility of this became clear when I asked my father, a TU representative who's assisted people in dismissal cases, what the Edwards decision would mean. His response?

"Hmm ... don't know. That's why we employ lawyers, it's better to ask them"

FML :facepalm:
Please, somebody tell me how reading a 100 page long article on the jurisprudence of legal fictions is relevant to my exams?
Original post by Cast.Iron
Please, somebody tell me how reading a 100 page long article on the jurisprudence of legal fictions is relevant to my exams?

It's not. I'm currently staring at three 30 page articles on breach of confidence and I honestly can't be bothered anymore.

Read the introduction and conclusion and determine if it's relevant/useful. Then and only then should you attempt to read it and even then I would be tempted to only skim through for the relevant sections. 100 pages is way too long or if you feeling brave, think of it as 4 25 page articles and take breaks after reading each part. Good luck
Original post by sleekchic
It's not. I'm currently staring at three 30 page articles on breach of confidence and I honestly can't be bothered anymore.

Read the introduction and conclusion and determine if it's relevant/useful. Then and only then should you attempt to read it and even then I would be tempted to only skim through for the relevant sections. 100 pages is way too long or if you feeling brave, think of it as 4 25 page articles and take breaks after reading each part. Good luck

Well I'm 5 pages away from the end now :tongue:.

If it wasn't for some research essay then there is no way that I would have done it.

I don't think it's *ever* been relevant to my exams and since I've already sat yours, I'd take this as a suggestion that it's not useful at all. Skip it. What subject wants this anyway?
Original post by gethsemane342
I don't think it's *ever* been relevant to my exams and since I've already sat yours, I'd take this as a suggestion that it's not useful at all. Skip it. What subject wants this anyway?

Trust me, I would if I could. It's for a Civil (I know, it's even more irrelevant now) vacation research project.
i think someone should make an insights thread about law

Spoiler

Trust me, I would if I could. It's for a Civil (I know, it's even more irrelevant now) vacation research project.

... I definitely don't recall that in Roman Law. In fact, my mate won the prize for Civil in my year and I don't think he read this article either. Why are you doing a civil research project anyhow?

Latest

Trending

Trending