The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We don't get any sort of reading week. :frown: Wish we did.
Hi, just made an account, so here is my introduction. I’m studying at Uhasselt (I know it doesn’t sound so fancy as your universities :smile: ) It’s a new law university in Belgium (a cooperation between Leuven and Maastricht). I’m in my second years.
Barrister-

At the moment I applied to the LPC, which is for solicitors.

BUT I want to become a barrister. Obviously I would need to undertake mini-pupillages etc...

Not sure if this is true, but can a solicitor with 10 or 15 years experience apply to become a barrister without a BPTC or do they require BPTC?
(edited 13 years ago)
HALP.

Can anyone name some books that I can read that are out of ordinary for someone applying for University?

The ordinary being, "Letters to a Law Student".

Thanks
I'd like to read something on morality, if that's any help.

Thanks again.
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
Have a look at Just Law by Helena Kennedy or Lawless World by Phillipe Sands QC.

Not so much morality based, but about the role of the law and politicians interference with it etc. Take a look, see what you think.

Thanks for your help.

However, are there any books you'd recommend that I can freely view on google.com/books
Original post by Jakko247
I've got an interview at Buckingham Palace soon :biggrin:
Excited! I needed security clearance just to attend my interview haha!

How was it?

x m
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Do all law students hate jurisprudence!?

YES! I dropped German law because I was fed up of not knowing if I understood anything and always feeling like I didn't...and just got the same problem in Jurisprudence, only now I feel I have no excuse cause at least it's *mainly* in my language!
Reply 988
God, Contract Law essay for Monday and i haven't even started. The end of the 1500 words seems very far away.
Reply 989
Original post by mirin?
God, Contract Law essay for Monday and i haven't even started. The end of the 1500 words seems very far away.

If it's any consolation, I have a consti essay due tomorrow at 3pm. I also haven't started writing it. I have, however, done the reading and planned it.
Original post by jjarvis
If it's any consolation, I have a consti essay due tomorrow at 3pm. I also haven't started writing it. I have, however, done the reading and planned it.

That doesn't sound too bad, although if that was me, I probably wouldn't have done the reading or planning.

Speaking of which, land seminar at 9am. I really should go to bed.
Done all the notes in a neat format for the first half of the courses. In a good mood. For now. :jive:

Original post by mirin?

Original post by jjarvis

Original post by sleekchic
That doesn't sound too bad, although if that was me, I probably wouldn't have done the reading or planning.

Look on the bright side guys (:awesome:), few more weeks/months of torture (or in Jarvis' case, heaven) and it's the holidays for a few months. :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Done all the notes in a neat format for the first half of the courses.

Look on the bright side guys (:awesome:), few more weeks/months of torture (or in Jarvis' case, heaven) and it's the holidays for a few months. :h:

Wtf? Was it only a couple of days ago that you posted about getting started on the notes? How have you done the notes for all your modules (I presume) in 2 days or did I make up the abovein a sleep induced state?
Wtf? Was it only a couple of days ago that you posted about getting started on the notes? How have you done the notes for all your modules (I presume) in 2 days or did I make up the abovein a sleep induced state?

Yep (for the first half of all the modues), started on Constitutional, then figured I may as well do Jurisprudence and Delict. Been working like a hamster amidst browsing TSR and watching films. :emo:
Yep (for the first half of all the modues), started on Constitutional, then figured I may as well do Jurisprudence and Delict. Been working like a hamster amidst browsing TSR and watching films. :emo:

FML.

I have zero motivation. I can work for about half an hour or so before giving up or getting distracted. :sad:
Reply 995

This term's been an absolute bear, and week five was killer. I love the law, but even I have my limits! And revising for/doing exams is going to suck. A lot.
Reply 996

1400 words in. Should be fine. How was the land seminar?
Original post by jjarvis
1400 words in. Should be fine. How was the land seminar?

Slightly confusing. I think my main issue is not understanding the topic in enough detail before the seminar. I now understand co-ownership and the seminar makes sense but I need to do more work on leases. I'm half way through international law lecture and I haven't fallen asleep yet. Yay for 5 hours sleep.

And then 2 hour land lecture.

You absolute machine :adore:

sleekchic

FML.

I have zero motivation. I can work for about half an hour or so before giving up or getting distracted. :sad:

I'm like this too. Sometimes worse :tongue:
Reply 999
Slightly confusing. I think my main issue is not understanding the topic in enough detail before the seminar. I now understand co-ownership and the seminar makes sense but I need to do more work on leases. I'm half way through international law lecture and I haven't fallen asleep yet. Yay for 5 hours sleep.

And then 2 hour land lecture.

I quite like co-ownership/trusts, but then I'm nuts for land law. Not done leases yet...we started them yesterday but I missed the lecture.

Mmmm, five hours sleep...

Latest

Trending

Trending