The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi all, finishing up my first year doing Law & Politics:

For me, being Joint, I don't get to choose electives for second or third year so my modules are already decided.

Year One:
Contract - HATE HATE HATE!!!! At least this doesn't count towards my final degree classification.

Constitutional - not too bad actually, a lot like A Level Politics in some respects.

Legal Skills - mixed bag, did brilliant in the research assignment, but my group only just passed the moot (our senior counsel bailed on us the night before the moot, so we weren't properly prepared) half module

Citizen & State - basically Const. mark II, given that the reading list is exactly the same, got an assignment to do which counts for 100% of the mark, half module

Who Runs Britain - my one Politics module, and actually the one I'm doing best in. Got an average of 71 over my 2 assignments done so far, have another one due in May, just waiting for my tutor to get back to me as to whether I can do the essay that I want to (have to make up own title and then subject to approval, write the 2500 word essay)

Year Two:
EU Law
Land Law
Criminal Law
Law/Order/Politics (Politics unit, half module)
Thinking Politics (Politics unit, half module)

Year Three:
Equity and Trusts
Tort (us Joints take it third year, whereas the single honours do it in first)
Anti-Politics (Politics module)
Human Rights (Politics unit, half module)
War Crimes and Genocide (Politics unit, half module)

^^ sorry for the long post, have I got anything mind-numbingly dull on the Law side for second/third year? As I'd like to start mentally preparing myself for it :biggrin:
Reply 1181
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
Exam timetable out...

Commercial Banking: Tues 3rd May
EU Law: Wed 4th May
Intellectual Property Law: Fri 6th May
Commercial Law: Sat 7th May.

:colonhash:

Ouch. You've pretty much been **** on from a great height...

...welcome to the law.
4th May - EU Law
7th May - Commercial Law
14th May - Business Orgs
18th May - Property

Not too bad actually :p: compared to last year... or even Christmas.
Quick question. I have an offer to do the MA in Law at Bristol, which is essentially a senior status law degree. Except it's graded according to postgrad criteria. The implications of that are that the pass mark is 50% rather than 40%, however the top grade boundary (distinction) is still set at 70%.

The grade required for access to the LPC is a 2.ii normally. Does this mean that all I would need is a pass? Or would I need a merit?

This question is (hopefully) a purely academic one. I don't think it's something I'll have to worry about. But I'd be interested to see whether anyone has an answer to this.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RedDragon
I only get to try mooting in my third year sadly, is it hard?

Depends. I love both the process of research/drafting a skeleton, and the advocacy itself. I wouldn't say it's easy. How tough it is will depend in part on the quality of your judge, and in part on the difficulty of the problem. A good judge will keep you on your toes, but if you're prepared you'll show at your best if a judge throws you tough questions which you handle with aplomb. Judges vary a great deal, so learning to adapt to a judge's style is part of the process.

A hard point of law is sometimes easier to argue persuasively, or at least easier to make an impressive argument on. Structure is absolutely key--you need to know your arguments inside and out, and to have them clearly structured. You also, however, need to be flexible, so that you can respond to interventions with authority prepared. I like interventionist judges, though I understand some people find being interrupted and questioned nerve-wracking.
Last night's Silk was amazing! I will really miss it after it ends next Tuesday :frown:
Original post by The West Wing
Last night's Silk was amazing! I will really miss it after it ends next Tuesday :frown:

It was, wasn't?

I only started watching it a few days ago and I'm looking forward to next week's episode.

I'm guessing it's only 6 episodes? Do you know if it'll be renewed for another series?
Original post by sleekchic
It was, wasn't?

I only started watching it a few days ago and I'm looking forward to next week's episode.

I'm guessing it's only 6 episodes? Do you know if it'll be renewed for another series?

Sadly yes, there's a lot left to be told though - who gets Silk, who gets tenancy, what happens with the baby etc.

When it started I thought it was a bit naff but they actually presented it in a really compelling way.
Original post by The West Wing
Sadly yes, there's a lot left to be told though - who gets Silk, who gets tenancy, what happens with the baby etc.

When it started I thought it was a bit naff but they actually presented it in a really compelling way.

I do worry it's all going to be a bit rushed next week for the sake of tying up all the ends. :frown:

Yup, posted about it a while back - it was available then, and became unavailable a short while after.

It's a very good insight. :smile:
Ah, yeah, I remember watching that a couple of months ago. I was struck by how normal I felt they came across for people so high in their field.

I do sometimes wonder if I'm only becoming a solicitor because I wasn't really clever enough for the bar. :frown:
Original post by G8D
This documentary is really good.

They all seem to.. normal :p:

In very mildly eccentric ways. :tongue:

I've just rewatched it (anything to detract from work), all this discussion of control orders and the like is rather making me miss my Human Rights module.

I feel Baroness Hale should be some sort of wise matronly aunt. Lord Phillips just seems so NICE...I want them in my life!

Also enjoying how flummoxed barristers at the very top of their game can look when challenged!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by The Stig
I'm looking for the case of: R v Davies [1975] 1 All ER 890, [1975] QB 69 1, [1975] 2'WLR 586, CA.

I've tried Westlaw and Lexis and they don't appear to have a full transcript of the case. It's mentioned in several other cases though.

:erm:

You tried Justis?
Original post by jjarvis
You tried Justis?

Just found it :smile:
Original post by The Stig
Just found it :smile:

For future reference, justis has all the ICLR reports in PDF. Since these are the most authoritative, that's usually the best starting place when generating a bundle for a moot.
Hey guys, just wanted to say I'm going to request a ban for a while. Need to get hunkered down with revision and hanging around on TSR is not helping me with that. Best of luck for those of you with exams coming up!
Original post by jjarvis
Hey guys, just wanted to say I'm going to request a ban for a while. Need to get hunkered down with revision and hanging around on TSR is not helping me with that. Best of luck for those of you with exams coming up!

All the best :smile:
Hi guys, need to ask for a second opinion on this hypothetical. If you have a "Russian roulette-style" scenario where A and B take it in turns to pull the trigger, what offences have been committed?

I've been discussing this with some fellow lawyers and we've agreed that there's no attempted murder due to mens rea issues, nor is there an assault since both players are consenting (Lamb). However, we can't decide whether any (other) inchoate offences have been committed. What are your thoughts on, say, attempted ABH?

Thanks. :smile:
Silk makes me want to take part in a mooting competition, but there's nothing for another 6 months or so. :emo:

Latest

Trending

Trending