The Student Room Group

Does it matter where you do your PGCE?

Does where you do your PGCE affect your chances on getting a job on completion? Is someone from Oxbridge more employable than PGCE'rs from less pretigious universities? When it comes to undergrad degrees, where you go to study can be quite important and i was wondering whether it was the same with PGCEs.This question is particularly in relation to non shortage subjects, where there is likely to be competition for jobs.
Reply 1
I don't think it makes much of a difference as the placements are the important part of your PGCE! There are league tables for employability somewhere on the TDA website (www.tda.gov.uk).
It may matter to the school where you did your undergraduate degree though. My friend was chosen over another candidate, because of her undergrad degree and not the PGCE!

I guess some universities, especially those known for teacher training, such as Roehampton, one of the Liverpool ones (I think it is Liverpool Hope), Institute of Education, etc would be better than others.

In general though, I think the placements matter. A good placement is always nice, but even a bad placement can be seen as favorable to the employer.

Good luck !
Reply 2
I just checked the website and found Training Provider Performance Profiles.

Check for the subjects you are interested in and choose the option "QTS Awards and destinations", this will generate a list of all training providers offering the desired course. You will be able to see how many people (in %) have gone into employment and how many are still seeking employment.

Not to forget that some areas have a lot more jobs than others (e.g. you probably wouldn't have trouble finding a teaching post at all in London, but in West England you may!).
Reply 3
Ok, so I searched the websites and found that traditional universities like oxford, cambridge and warwuick have good employment % around 96-100 and the only reason they are slightly lower is because some people have decided not to go into teaching.

However, the undergraduate remark scares me a little. I did my original degree in Law, im embarking on a masters in history next year before i do the PGCE because it is nigh on impossible to do a proper pgce with a law degree. Do you think the fact im not a history graduate would prejudice my job chances if I was going for a secondary post? I thought it would greatly increase my chances of getting a job at a college because i could teach A level Law as well as History, but i dont want to close my options so am curious as to my secondary job prospects
Reply 4
No, I think you will be fine with a master in history. It shows extra commitment, plus you always need to stress how your degree somehow relates to teaching.
Not everyone knew at the age of 17/18/19 that they want to go into teaching, that''s why conversion courses exist!
You could also look into doing a PGCE FE, so you could go straight into a college. FE PGCE's don't offer QTS though, so maybe you are better off doing a History secondary PGCE and then going into higher secondary/6th form.

Where are you gonna do the Master?
Reply 5
Im applying to Warwick, Manchester, Royal Holloway, Reading and one other, probably Essex or York for an MA in History.

I know about the PGCE FE but I really prefer to do the PGCE, mainly because of the QTS thing. Even though QTS isnt strictly needed for college teaching, I've seen job ads specifying that QTS is required, and if you dont have QTS they will sometimes try and pay you as an unqualified teacher. Plus, I get funding for the PGCE and none for the PGCFE (apart from tuition fees paid) so it really isnt a hard decision.

I've also been told you can take modules in and ask to do your placement in FE on some PGCEs. Is that true?
Reply 6
Not sure about the placements and modules, but that's something you could ask the universities when making the decision where you want to apply.
I guess you could ask to do a higher/6th form placement, but most student teachers don't get too close to A-level students, I think.
You can always do some volunteering and observing in FE. Good for the CV anyway.

I agree, the QTS is definitely an incentive, you should go for it.

Good luck with your MA applications!
Reply 7
on pgce course there is a girl who just finsihed a law degree last year so a law degree wont stop u getting in
Reply 8
**R**
on pgce course there is a girl who just finsihed a law degree last year so a law degree wont stop u getting in

Are you doing Primary or Secondary?
Reply 9
doing primary , mayb its different with secondary im not sure about that one
Reply 10
**R**

What is she planning on teaching? As I would like to do teaching but want a law degree.
As it is, Primary teaching is a lot easier to pursue with a Law degree. You can justify your degree for subjects like English, PSHE/Citizenship and you can also talk about law and the school, children's rights, etc.
But if you want to study for a secondary PGCE, you normally need a degree in the subject you want to teach, at least major in it (in a major/minor combo or major/major).
kirstinx
What is she planning on teaching? As I would like to do teaching but want a law degree.

See my other post, but you would probably stand a good chance of getting into primary teaching.
For secondary, you may have to go for a conversion course.
Experience in schools is often vital, so you could volunteer and join the student assosciate scheme during your undergrad degree.
Sorry this is a little bit off topic. I'm very interested in teaching after doing my Undergrad, and I want to do a PGCE. I heard one of my teachers talking to someone else about the various golden hellos available, and he said that you can get your student loan paid off, anyway know if that's true? I can't find confirmation of it.
I'm not sure about the golden hellos, but the student loan repayment scheme has been stopped. When will you be graduating and when are you looking to start the PGCE?
From next year on, PGCE students, including those coming straight from university, need to pay the £3000 variable fees. Support is available, I think £1200 from the LEA, not means tested and around 1500 means tested.

This is what it says about he golden hellos:
Golden hellos (in England)
If you complete a postgraduate ITT and take up an NQT position in a maintained school or non-maintained special school in England, you may be eligible to receive a one-off, taxable 'golden hello' payment of between £2,500 and £5,000 at the start of your second year of teaching, after successfully completing your induction period.

Golden hellos are available to eligible NQTs who have trained to teach English (including drama); information and communications technology; design and technology; modern foreign languages; religious education; music; mathematics; or science.

The amount you receive will depend on your subject, with mathematics and science attracting £5,000 and all other priority subjects £2,500.

Check out the
TDA Money Matters website!
Ah, that's a shame. I'll be finishing my Alevels and hopefully starting Uni in 2007, so finishing in 2011. I'm not sure if I want to do my PGCE straight after that, or take some time to work in the industry first. I did find a comment on one website that said it's important to check with the LEA of the area you'd be teaching in, as each one offers different benefits. Oh, I'd also be doing secondary science.
I would guess that a whole lot will change before 2011 !!!
Hopefully for the better! :smile:
Oxford rocks for PCGE! And I am from a rival college.

Latest

Trending

Trending