The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Food / accommodation at Durham?

Hi everyone!
I have visited Durham and LOVE it loads, But just a few questions:
1. What is the food like in catered halls? I am a (fairly fussy) vegetarian so I just wanted an idea of typical stuff you get. And is it true that John's food is the best?!

2. Which college would people recommend - I really want on of the older and prettier ones (I know that's a bit pathetic...) and I would also like somewhere with a friendly atmosphere. I'm not hugely into drinking and I get the impression Cuths is big on the bar and alchohol side of things? Correct me if I'm wrong here! (and it's not a criticism, it's just not my type of thing)

3. Is anyone studying combined honours philosophy and english literature? course code QV35. What do you think? I really like the sound of the course and I lov both subjects now but I wanted some other opinions!

Reply 1
The food's really good. Obviously not five star hotel standard, but it's standardised in all the colleges so nobody's food is best! (Except at formals there may be differences possibly.)

There are 3 hot options (including at least one vegetarian option), plus potatoes/pasta, hot vegetables and a salad bar and soup. You can have all 3 :smile:

At lunch time, you get a voucher so you can get a sandwich and fruit/crisps from the cafes near lectures, or if you're in college you can choose from a few hot options (again at least one vegetarian), plus potatoes/pasta, hot vegetables, salad and soup. If you don't want a hot main meal you can have a jacket potato and fillings, or a large roll or couple of slices of bread with the same fillings as are on offer for jacket potatoes. Usually have 3 or 4 choices of jacket/sandwich filling :smile:

There's always yoghurt or fruit for pudding at lunchtime. For dinner, there's a hot pudding or yoghurt, or fresh fruit.

Breakfast's probably the best meal, cooked breakfast, unlimited cereal/yoghurt/fresh fruit/tinned fruit (pineapple, etc.)/dried fruit/porridge/toast. yum :smile:

Course wise - do you mean joint honours (as in the course is called English&Philosophy), or Combined Honours in Arts/Combined Honours in Social Sciences? I do combined social sciences and it's brilliant, so flexible, but one of my friends has just switched to English and Philosophy (she'll be starting 1st year ago in that course) and is really excited for the modules!

You can look up the course modules here: www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook

:smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
*buried-in-books*
Hi everyone!
I have visited Durham and LOVE it loads, But just a few questions:
1. What is the food like in catered halls? I am a (fairly fussy) vegetarian so I just wanted an idea of typical stuff you get. And is it true that John's food is the best?!

2. Which college would people recommend - I really want on of the older and prettier ones (I know that's a bit pathetic...) and I would also like somewhere with a friendly atmosphere. I'm not hugely into drinking and I get the impression Cuths is big on the bar and alchohol side of things? Correct me if I'm wrong here! (and it's not a criticism, it's just not my type of thing)

3. Is anyone studying combined honours philosophy and english literature? course code QV35. What do you think? I really like the sound of the course and I lov both subjects now but I wanted some other opinions!

Well I was going to suggest Butler if your fussy with food as its selfcatered BUT its not old which you mentioned in point 2 lol maybe go for another vist and have a look around a few of them? x
i stayed at st cuth's during the post-app visit. being veggie myself, i'd say the food was good- they had a veggie version of both the meaty dishes :smile:
although i did find it was very party-orientated, but i think you'll get that anywhere :|
if you want prettiness, you'll have to sacrifice it for being catered and not having as much freedom as the bailey accommodation (which is, by far, prettier) .

Latest