The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Natwest Account

Ok, I was initially thinking about opening an HSBC UK account from here (India), but it seems that Natwest offer a student international account with the railcard, and the Orange Camel SIM. So I was wondering, how much time does it take for the account to become active? And do I get the SIM card the moment I have applied for the account? And how crowded would it be during Orientation week to apply for the account?
Abh1shek
Ok, I was initially thinking about opening an HSBC UK account from here (India), but it seems that Natwest offer a student international account with the railcard, and the Orange Camel SIM. So I was wondering, how much time does it take for the account to become active? And do I get the SIM card the moment I have applied for the account? And how crowded would it be during Orientation week to apply for the account?

There are 1000 international students coming to Orientation next week. Looking at the rotas it seems as though there is a Bank Facilitation session on the Tuesday. Wednesday there isn't a team helping with banks because everyone is off to Oxford (so it may be quiet that day if you didn't manage to get it done on Monday/Tuesday).

There are a couple of Bank Talks on the Thursday which will cause the number of applications to rise again.

My suggestion - try early in the morning at 9.30am (They are open 9.30 to 16.30 weekdays).

As for how long it will take to open? Perhaps a week. It would help if you knew your exact address for term time as well. You might be given the room you are staying in at Orientation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
My main concern is when I would get the SIM card?
Abh1shek
My main concern is when I would get the SIM card?

I don't see why you can't buy the SIM card from Tesco/Costcutter/central Coventry. You might need to call Orange to then switch it from Dolphin to Camel.

I know last year Lebara Mobile were also being given out/sold on campus in Costcutter and the Freshers Fair - you will be given the card instantly in that case, I think.

Also - have you heard of Skype?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I know about Skype! I want a SIM card to get BBM working again. And from what I read somewhere you cant get a SIM without a UK account.
Abh1shek
I know about Skype! I want a SIM card to get BBM working again. And from what I read somewhere you cant get a SIM without a UK account.

Well simply to get a SIM card you don't need an account (if it is on PAYG) . If you want data it might be better to get a contract SIM with a data allowance and that will require a credit check (for which a UK account might be better). Alternatively you could avoid entering a contract by opting for 'Pay and Go' deals like O2's here.

By the way, Orange's signal on campus is quite poor - go with T-Mobile, Vodafone, O2 or possibily 3.
Reply 6
Well, then I definetely won't be getting Orange. I don't want a contract, as I have a phone. I just want a pay as you go SIM, with BIS.

Would you recommend opening an account with a bank on campus?
(edited 13 years ago)
Abh1shek
Well, then I definetely won't be getting Orange. I don't want a contract, as I have a phone. I just want a pay as you go SIM, with BIS.

Would you recommend opening an account with a bank on campus?

Yes, simply because you won't have to travel to Coventry if you need to visit a branch.
Reply 8
How bad is Orange? Is it just Rootes ('cos I'm in Arthur Vick). I've looked at the plan, and no plan comes close to their Camel pay as you go.
Abh1shek
How bad is Orange? Is it just Rootes ('cos I'm in Arthur Vick). I've looked at the plan, and no plan comes close to their Camel pay as you go.

I wouldn't say it would be that bad from the 5th October as Orange can use T Mobile's network and vice versa.

https://tellus.orange.co.uk/coverage
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/coming-soon/share/

You need to sign up there I think once you get a Orange, T Mobile SIM respectively.

Latest