The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You could phone them up and ask them????
Zophixan
Hey guys, I'm predicted ABBB.... and I want to apply to imperial which is asking for AAB, do you think its worth applying? I have the A in english lit, and Bs in muisc maths and physics... I want to do a physics course..

what did you get for your ASs?

You could try and get your teachers to change your predictions. :p:
Reply 3
I don't think that it's very likely, even with the four subjects they will still expect you to get AA in Maths and Physics. Maybe if you got a predicted A in either it would help, but don't beg for different predictions, just ask if they are really that accurate.
Reply 4
yeah its easy to get your predictions changed, I have had 3 of mine changed (2 to my AS grade, 1 to a grade higher as I only missed it by a few marks) to help my application and I had no problem with any of my teachers.
Reply 5
devilbunny
I don't think that it's very likely, even with the four subjects they will still expect you to get AA in Maths and Physics.

It is highly likely that a condition of the offer will be that the As are in maths and physics, not English.
Reply 6
Steeeeevo
yeah its easy to get your predictions changed, I have had 3 of mine changed (2 to my AS grade, 1 to a grade higher as I only missed it by a few marks) to help my application and I had no problem with any of my teachers.

I don't thin kthat you should beg for your predictions to be pushed up unless you really think that you are being undervalued. Predictions are normally more than generous.
Reply 7
devilbunny
I don't thin kthat you should beg for your predictions to be pushed up unless you really think that you are being undervalued. Predictions are normally more than generous.

I didnt beg, I said 'I need my predictions put up' and every one of my teachers replied 'Ok, I'll sort that out for you' very easy and no begging required.
Reply 8
Steeeeevo
I didnt beg, I said 'I need my predictions put up' and every one of my teachers replied 'Ok, I'll sort that out for you' very easy and no begging required.

Butm what's the point of you getting a prediction put up if you aren't going to make it. The teachers predict what you are going to get, ok, they can be wrong, they were in my case as the overpredicted me. But I think it's more common for people to be overpredicted than under, they don't just pick it out of a hat.
Reply 9
At my school they ask you what you want....! Slightly unfair on others really. I mean, I should get 3As but there are people in my class who got CDD in their AS' and are predicted AAB - ABB or even AAA!
My college is pretty strict, they will only predict you a grade higher than what you got at AS but you have to prove that you're capable of it. My teachers are immune to begging:frown:
Reply 11
These predictions are all very well if everyone followed the same criteria for making them. That clearly isn't the case! I didn't do as well as I'd have liked in my AS's, partly down to me and partly down to poor teaching. I accept that and am retaking the necessary modules. But as a result I'm now predicted ACC which to be honest isn't much use to me. It's a real blow.
che_guevara
At my school they ask you what you want....! Slightly unfair on others really. I mean, I should get 3As but there are people in my class who got CDD in their AS' and are predicted AAB - ABB or even AAA!

I actually think it is fairer if the final choice of predicted grades is left with the student as this way, they are in control of their own future. As for those who got CDD and predict themselves AAA, they'll know whose fault it is when they get six straight rejections.

Personally, I think it is better to be overpredicted by the teacher as control would rest with the student. If they know they won't get the grades, they can choose universities accordingly. Those who get underpredicted don't have this choice.
devilbunny
Butm what's the point of you getting a prediction put up if you aren't going to make it. The teachers predict what you are going to get, ok, they can be wrong, they were in my case as the overpredicted me. But I think it's more common for people to be overpredicted than under, they don't just pick it out of a hat.

I didn’t, if you read my other post it says that I was under predicted which would have totally screwed up my UCAS application (I was predicted CDC in Psychology, Computing and Chemistry respectively and I got BBC [missed B in Chem. by 4 marks]) and as most people get what they got at AS at A2 I thought it was only fair that my predicted grades were up-ed to reflect this and I was prepared to put the extra work into Chemistry [which my teacher knew anyway])

PS oh yeah, and my sixth form college are notorious for bad prediction as its policy to have predicted grades by march of the first year just after the January results (which I did poorly in expecting it to be like GCSE) hence the poor un-justified predictions (I re-sat the first exam in Psychology and Computing upping them to an A and a B, giving me overall high B’s in both and the first Chemistry exam I will be re-sitting in January)
Reply 14
I'm really bitter on this subject as i'm currently on an unwanted year out due to ****** predictions. I was predicted ADE in English lit, latin and business studies respectively, whereas i actually got ABC in Latin ( :eek: :cool: ), english and business respectively. I'd gotten a B in my AS as well, so i couldn't believe they thought i'd do that terrible!
I think the new system coming in where you apply after you get your grades is much more fair.
As to answer the original post, i think you should maybe ask if at least one of physics or maths be boosted to an A :biggrin: does your teacher know you want to do a degree in their subject? I thought i'd do english lit before i got all my predicted grades back, i think that's why they predicted me an A :smile:
Reply 15
also you've got to be careful because if you get predicted, or beg for, high grades and then apply to courses with high grades if, when it comes down to it, you get your results you might get lower results and then end up with nowhere to go because the uni wont let u on the course

my friend although it isnt really prediction related too much was predicted 4As so he got an offer for those grades at Imperial but then got AAAB and they didnt accept him, even though it was only one grade

Sorry didnt really make much sense there...
Reply 16
What are predictions??

Do you mean the grades that are predicted in the referee area on the ucas online form? Can you really predict higher than you will reallistically get..

Interesting, cos I am given the duty of guidance counselor to predict my own grades
Reply 17
Yeah predicitons are your predicted grades....I would have thought that was a bit obvious, but hey...
Steeeeevo

You're so lucky...ive spent weeks fighting for a prediction, which is actually my AS grade.

Did you just say that, and did they just respond so willingly?! I dont believe it!
Reply 19
hmm.. why do you all have to ask the teachers about your predictions?

You can change your prediction online at UCAS...

I may predict my own grades, don't have to ask anyone...
I even may change the reference at will

Latest

Trending

Trending