The Student Room Group

Will I get an offer for Law??

I got AACCD in my first sitting highers and i'm taking 3 new highers this year...

I am applying to Strathclyde and Cally for Law.

Do you think i'll get an offer?
Reply 1
rach1993
I got AACCD in my first sitting highers and i'm taking 3 new highers this year...

I am applying to Strathclyde and Cally for Law.

Do you think i'll get an offer?

I think you will definitely have to get AAA or at least AAB in the three highers you are taking this year to be accepted into Strathclyde, although Caledonian might be more lenient. I think you need at least higher B in English for Law at Caley, do you have that?
Reply 2
andrew1990
I think you will definitely have to get AAA or at least AAB in the three highers you are taking this year to be accepted into Strathclyde, although Caledonian might be more lenient. I think you need at least higher B in English for Law at Caley, do you have that?

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Yeap I got A for higher English!

Im just worried incase I apply and dont get ANY offer at all... do you think that would happen for either of them?
You'll definitely get into caledonian with those grades
Reply 4
rach1993
Thanks for the reply :smile:

Yeap I got A for higher English!

Im just worried incase I apply and dont get ANY offer at all... do you think that would happen for either of them?

Im not really clued up on law, but to be on the safe side I would definitely be aiming for AAA in the highers you are doing at the moment. Also, there is an admissions test for law at a lot of unis, the LNAT, which is fiendishly difficult, although I'm not sure if you have to sit this for entry to glasgow caledonian. I think Stratchlyde ask for AAAAB for entry so you will really have to work hard in sixth year if you want to go there.

You may get a conditional offer, but you're personal statement will have to be top notch as well, and work experience etc would definitely help.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
I'm applying for law this year and have been raking through forms trying to find people who received a conditional offer from Strathclyde. I've applied with AAAA, I NEED to find someone who received conditional offers last year and ask what they were offered. This year I'm taking 3 Highers and Advanced English, seriously considering dropping English though, the only thing holding me back is whether or not I might receive a conditional offer that asks for an AH Grade, can ANYONE help???
Reply 6
Original post by Feargal
I'm applying for law this year and have been raking through forms trying to find people who received a conditional offer from Strathclyde. I've applied with AAAA, I NEED to find someone who received conditional offers last year and ask what they were offered. This year I'm taking 3 Highers and Advanced English, seriously considering dropping English though, the only thing holding me back is whether or not I might receive a conditional offer that asks for an AH Grade, can ANYONE help???

Just keep the English till you get your offer. It's not THAT much work. (three highers and an advanced higher is less than you'll be asked to do in first year law)
Reply 7
Original post by Norton1
Just keep the English till you get your offer. It's not THAT much work. (three highers and an advanced higher is less than you'll be asked to do in first year law)

It's at the point now where my dissertation was due in over a month ago and I've not even read the books I'll be writing it on, If I don't need Advanced English then I don't want to cram in a load of work now for no reason, I'd rather have a more relaxing last year of school. I know there will be a **** tonne of work in first year though..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Feargal
It's at the point now where my dissertation was due in over a month ago and I've not even read the books I'll be writing it on, If I don't need Advanced English then I don't want to cram in a load of work now for no reason, I'd rather have a more relaxing last year of school. I know there will be a **** tonne of work in first year though..

Well, my offer from Strathclyde was based on Advanced Higher English as well as Advanced Higher Modern Studies so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they would make you an offer based on that.
Reply 9
Original post by Norton1
Well, my offer from Strathclyde was based on Advanced Higher English as well as Advanced Higher Modern Studies so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they would make you an offer based on that.

Thanks, you're the first person I've heard of that was given a conditional based on Advanced higher english. Was fairly sure until now that there was no way that they would request an advanced higher when i'm already doing 3 highers
Reply 10
Original post by Feargal
Thanks, you're the first person I've heard of that was given a conditional based on Advanced higher english. Was fairly sure until now that there was no way that they would request an advanced higher when i'm already doing 3 highers

I was only doing Advanced Highers so they had no choice really! I'd got an A in English at Higher so I'm not really sure what their plan was. I think it's safer to keep the English but it's basically up to you.
Reply 11
They just told me I'll need 3 B's this year :smile: I'll drop English to ease the workload, thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest