The Student Room Group

Alevel Problem

I have a problem with my Alevels, I was planning on moving college and I went today to see what it was like, then when it came to be choosing my subjects I couldn't have English Literature, History and Psychology. I had to have either English and Psychology or History and Psyschology, eventhough I want to do History I chose English because I thought that might be more useful for law, then I had to choose a different subject to replace History and the only one on offer which I was would have been able to do (options were something like applied business, applied ict, physics, chemistry) was Applied ICT.

So if I went to the new 6th form my subjects would be English Literature, Psychology, Business Studies and Applied ICT.

If I stayed at my college I would be doing English Literature, Psychology, History and Business Studies. Also I would be able to do an AS and A2 in a year which I want to do, but when it comes to the A2's all of them are in local 6th forms and they take us via bus.

The 6th form is more organised and has slightly better teaching, the college is where my friends are now and I wouldn't be behind with work etc.

So what should I do? Obviously History is better for Law than Applied ICT, and Applied ICT wont even open up the computing path as I dont have Maths :rolleyes:

Oh and at GCSE I got B's in English Literature, History and Applied ICT, so doing what I am best at doesn't really help.

Help me please, ASAP :biggrin:
Reply 1
Also, if I decided I wanted to do AS maths next year I could only really do it if I went to the college :rolleyes:
i cant see any problems with the subjects you have changed to. In my opinion you should think more about if you will be happy joining the sixth form a few weeks into the term leaving your friends behind. what ever you decide just go for it. As long as you get your grades you should be fine :smile:
Reply 3
I decided to stay at my current college, I didn't want to be behind and I would have been in a worse position than I am now.

So now I am just wondering:

1. I have every monday morning free and at college the alevel that's timetabled for that morning is Law, and its only for 3hours every monday, do you think I should do Law AS?

2. I am looking into doing a subject at home then entering as a private candidate so:
-Which other subjects would be extremely useful for Law, that have no coursework? I was thinking of something like Politics? Any others?
For the record, I get the impression that Unis prefer History over English because of weighing the evidence, although both are useful.

Law AS/A2 is a bit of controversial area. Some Unis turn their noses up at it, and for no good reason IMHO, but then again I took it and think it was one of the best things I ever did.

Don't overwork yourself too much. Three solid A2s are the most important component of your university application, taking an extra A2 or AS here or there could maybe give you extra security, but if you take too many subjects then you may end up too stressed and not perform at your best.

Latest

Trending

Trending