The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham = GCSE Nazis?

Hi guys. I was thinking of applying to Durham for English Literature (as a retake applicant), and I've kinda been assaulted with doubt about whether I'll be considered.

The entry requirements are AAA and I have A*AB (retaking to raise it to A*AA), and at GCSE I have 2 A*s, 6 As and 2 Bs. The subjects are in my sig.

Do Durham look at the GCSE passrate of schools? My secondary schools 5 A*-C rate was 54% in my graudating year, and I also was sick with type 1 diabetes throughout year 10 and the start of year 11. Is this mentioning, would it make any difference, or would I be dropped due to the phantom GCSE requirement?

Thank you :3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I LOVE YOUR SIG. I LOLed so much XD
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I got 2 a*s, 4 a's and 2 b's for gcse and I got in, and gcse's are only really looked at when you haven't already got your a-level results to try and see how good you are. So there should be nothing to worry about apart from writing a really good personal statement.
Reply 3
Katy44
I got 2 a*s, 4 a's and 2 b's for gcse and I got in, and gcse's are only really looked at when you haven't already got your a-level results to try and see how good you are. So there should be nothing to worry about apart from writing a really good personal statement.

Amazing! Thank you.
Doea anyone know how strict they are with something like Ancient History?
Reply 5
Go for it! Your A*s are in your chosen subjects, and you have A*/A in all the core subjects, your grades are better than you think :smile:
stef.strawbs.123

^^^ Was wondering the same thing...
Reply 7
stef.strawbs.123

Department of Classics and Ancient History
Because we get so many applications with predictions of AAA or higher, we are sometimes forced to use the profile of GCSE marks to make decisions. If your application reaches that stage in the process, we may be looking for a substantial number of A*s with no very low marks.

I'm not on that course (I'm doing Archaeology), but this sounds like you need fairly good GCSEs for ancient history...
Sorry if that's not vastly helpful - like I say, I'm not in that department :frown:
Alloram
I'm not on that course (I'm doing Archaeology), but this sounds like you need fairly good GCSEs for ancient history...
Sorry if that's not vastly helpful - like I say, I'm not in that department :frown:

Yeah I thought that might have been for just History, mine aren't bad; 5 A's and 5 B's, I'm predicted 3 A's but I don't know if they'll reject me based on my GCSE's :frown:

Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 9
stef.strawbs.123
Yeah I thought that might have been for just History, mine aren't bad; 5 A's and 5 B's, I'm predicted 3 A's but I don't know if they'll reject me based on my GCSE's :frown:

Thanks anyway :smile:

No problem - I had to quote that the other day, too :smile:

And those aren't bad results - why not try for Durham? It's only 1 of 5 choices, and you have much more of a chance by applying than by not :smile:
Also, they do factor in the school you went to, to a greater or lesser extent. If that helps, of course.

edit

Another thing they say as well:
Department of Classics and Ancient History
Please do apply if you think you can make a strong case. We read all applications carefully and do not apply any mechanical rule to eliminate applications. We only go strictly on grades when the remaining applications have been read several times and we are unable to make any more distinctions. Quite a few applicants, some with lower marks, will have been made offers before reaching that point in the process, on the strength of the case made by the application as a whole.
(edited 13 years ago)
Alloram
No problem - I had to quote that the other day, too :smile:

And those aren't bad results - why not try for Durham? It's only 1 of 5 choices, and you have much more of a chance by applying than by not :smile:
Also, they do factor in the school you went to, to a greater or lesser extent. If that helps, of course.

Lol fair enough :smile:

I could do but I don't want to risk it too much if you know what I mean.

Well my school [Not sure of the percentage] is under-achieving, I think it's around the 50% mark. Not great then lol :o:
Reply 11
stef.strawbs.123
Lol fair enough :smile:

I could do but I don't want to risk it too much if you know what I mean.

Well my school [Not sure of the percentage] is under-achieving, I think it's around the 50% mark. Not great then lol :o:

I do understand - and that should be enough to help :smile:

And I edited the last post with a bit more information for you - just if it helps :smile:

It sounds like they care a lot about the personal statement

Probably, in order:
A-Levels
PS
GCSEs
Alloram
I do understand - and that should be enough to help :smile:

And I edited the last post with a bit more information for you - just if it helps :smile:

It sounds like they care a lot about the personal statement

Probably, in order:
A-Levels
PS
GCSEs

I may well apply then! :p:

Thanks for all the help!
Reply 13
stef.strawbs.123

I may well apply then! :p:

Thanks for all the help!

No problem - I'm just glad to help :smile:
Alloram
x

I've been wondering about applying to do your course, Archaeology and Ancient Civilisations, and I was wondering how is it? Do you focus more on the ancient civilisations or is it very similiar to the archaeology course? From what I could tell from the module lists it seemed that it was the same except you could take 2 classics modules but are you free to choose from any or just given 2 fixed options?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Lone Commissar
I've been wondering about applying to do your course, Archaeology and Ancient Civilisations, and I was wondering how is it? Do you focus more on the ancient civilisations or is it very similiar to the archaeology course? From what I could tell from the module lists it seemed that it was the same except you could take 2 classics modules but are you free to choose from any or just given 2 fixed options?

Well...I'll tell you in a couple of weeks - which is when I'll have started :smile:

Seriously - freshers only starts on Monday...

But, from the docs etc, I can tell you a little :smile:

It's primarily an archaeology course - most of the emphasis is still on the archaeology. However, it provides the optional modules from classics - generally, any which fit with the timetable. There's also more of a focus on (obviously) ancient history in the compulsory modules - Ancient Civilisations of the East, for example, is a compulsory module, whereas in straight Archaeology it would be an optional. But mostly, it's the flexibility of the classics modules.

One way of looking at it, is that it's similar to Archaeology with Ancient History, only with much more of an archaeological bent to it.

Does that help at all? Sorry if it's not much use - I can tell more in a couple weeks if it would help, like I say :smile:
Alloram
Well...I'll tell you in a couple of weeks - which is when I'll have started :smile:

Seriously - freshers only starts on Monday...

But, from the docs etc, I can tell you a little :smile:

It's primarily an archaeology course - most of the emphasis is still on the archaeology. However, it provides the optional modules from classics - generally, any which fit with the timetable. There's also more of a focus on (obviously) ancient history in the compulsory modules - Ancient Civilisations of the East, for example, is a compulsory module, whereas in straight Archaeology it would be an optional. But mostly, it's the flexibility of the classics modules.

One way of looking at it, is that it's similar to Archaeology with Ancient History, only with much more of an archaeological bent to it.

Does that help at all? Sorry if it's not much use - I can tell more in a couple weeks if it would help, like I say :smile:

Yeah sounds like what I'd read on the website. Its nice to know there's flexibility in it as I'd read that the joint Honours Archaeology and Ancient History is pretty stringent and there isn't really a provision for fieldwork. Still, an archaeology course with some flexibility for classics modules sounds pretty good.
Reply 17
I got an offer with no A*'s and 1 D so no I don't think they are GCSE Nazi's but I think the school you attend will be a contributing factor as to whether they decide to give you an offer or not
Reply 18
I only got 2 A's at GCSE and this thread is starting to scare me :frown:

Although I did e-mail the admissions and they said for maths GCSE's don't play a significant role and UMS do and from what they saw I would certainly have a chance of recieving an offer. Is this a good sign?
Reply 19
For physics i got 2A* only and managed to get a place. I will be going tomorrow btw, looking forward to meeting new people there. I know most of you guys will be drinking, I might give it a go to see what it is like. I just need to go to uni.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest