The Student Room Group

300 UCAS Points just A-Levels or include AS-Levels?

Hi,

I finished my A-Levels this summer with the grades BCC with 260 UCAS Points, however i do also have a C at AS-Level in another subject which would total me up to 300 UCAS points.

In reading universities entry requirements some state

"Applicants need a minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff Points typically achieved from three A-levels or equivalent qualifications"

does this mean i have to have 300 UCAS points just in my three a-levels or can i include the AS-Level that i did not take onto A-Level?

Also how strict are Universities when they say 300 - 340 points, and i reach the bare minimum will they accept me considering i have already got the grades and won't be having to play around with predicted grades.

Thank you so much!
If I was you I would contact the universities.

x
Reply 2
The 300pts needs to be from 3 A2s
Yeah, your best bet is to definitely contact the universities, drop the admissions depts an email, and if they won't accept you with the grade you have ask if theyre's any other routes you can take towards being accepted.
You should contact them however the chances are that it's just from A2.
Meow-wow
Hi,

I finished my A-Levels this summer with the grades BCC with 260 UCAS Points, however i do also have a C at AS-Level in another subject which would total me up to 300 UCAS points.

In reading universities entry requirements some state

"Applicants need a minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff Points typically achieved from three A-levels or equivalent qualifications"

does this mean i have to have 300 UCAS points just in my three a-levels or can i include the AS-Level that i did not take onto A-Level?

Also how strict are Universities when they say 300 - 340 points, and i reach the bare minimum will they accept me considering i have already got the grades and won't be having to play around with predicted grades.

Thank you so much!

It means you need 300 points from three full A levels. Those people talking about getting points for A2s are mistaken. An A2 is merely the second part of the full A level and it doesn't attract any UCAS tariff points on its own.
Reply 6
Good bloke
It means you need 300 points from three full A levels. Those people talking about getting points for A2s are mistaken. An A2 is merely the second part of the full A level and it doesn't attract any UCAS tariff points on its own.

When I said 300 points from A2s I meant the 3 full A levels, ie. not including the extra AS. I assumed the OP would know that you don't get separate points for ASs which you've continued to the full A level.
angelmxxx
When I said 300 points from A2s I meant the 3 full A levels, ie. not including the extra AS. I assumed the OP would know that you don't get separate points for ASs which you've continued to the full A level.

An A2 is not a full A level, though. A full A level is comprised of an AS plus an A2. The A2 is not a stand-alone qualification. If you say A2 when you mean full A level you cause confusion among people who know the difference.
Reply 8
Good bloke
An A2 is not a full A level, though. A full A level is comprised of an AS plus an A2. The A2 is not a stand-alone qualification. If you say A2 when you mean full A level you cause confusion among people who know the difference.

I know what an A level is. In this context the OP clearly knows the difference between the AS and the A level. OK, I could've written "from subjects which you've done to A2" but it's a student forum, it was a quick answer! As you say - the A2 isn't a stand alone qualification, so it's obvious I meant AS+A2 - ie. the full A level. It's not just me who's written that so it's clear that it's not just me who finds it an acceptable shorthand to make it clear that they don't mean ASs.

Anyway, the OP should ring up the uni, especially if their requirements are 300 - 340 and he'd be at the lower end of the requirements if they do include the extra AS.
(edited 13 years ago)
Good bloke

not really i know the difference and i understood what he was saying. i just applied my common sense to it
Reply 10
thank you for you're replies it's much appreciated...

this is a par

Latest

Trending

Trending