The Student Room Group

is top uni degree worth it?

hi, basically i took 2years out of education after my a-levels. i decided this year i should to go university as workin full time was not for me. (mainly because i worked at asda).
so i was planning to apply to birmingham main for accounting and finance as firm and same course at birmingham city uni as insurance.
i have been told from a variety of people including teachers mix view on my university choice. some people say havin a degreee from bham main will totally out way bcu and others say aslong as you a 2:1 it does not matter what university you go to.
i just wanted to no is going to a top univeristy that much of a big deal or is it just people desires. is 2:1 the only thing you need regardless of university?
thanx for listening and would love to hear you feed back.
im new at this so please be gentle:biggrin:
Reply 1
Aim higher.

You get a 2:1 and you came second. I am well aware graduates are not just assessed on their degree class but still, if you were an employer, would you risk the welfare of your company on someone who came 2nd?
Reply 2
Tumpelo
Aim higher.

You get a 2:1 and you came second. I am well aware graduates are not just assessed on their degree class but still, if you were an employer, would you risk the welfare of your company on someone who came 2nd?

Uh.. what? you make no sense lol...

To OP.
It's obvious that employers will look more favourably at more respected universities, but not all do.
On TSR.. if you don't get into top 10/20 then you will fail at life and never succeed. This is not true, people on TSR exaggerate the truth.

Getting a 2.1 is good. Get that and you will do well.. if you go to a top uni then life may be a little easier.. but going to a lower ranked doesn't just exclude you from a good life.. just means you may have to work a little harder.
Reply 3
Tommyjw
Uh.. what? you make no sense lol...

To OP.
It's obvious that employers will look more favourably at more respected universities, but not all do.
On TSR.. if you don't get into top 10/20 then you will fail at life and never succeed. This is not true, people on TSR exaggerate the truth.

Getting a 2.1 is good. Get that and you will do well.. if you go to a top uni then life may be a little easier.. but going to a lower ranked doesn't just exclude you from a good life.. just means you may have to work a little harder.

thanx for tht but i wanted to know like is the univeristy of birmingham 2:1 worth more than the 2:1 at birmingham city university?
Reply 4
Tumpelo
Aim higher.

thanks for th advice i am aimin for th top. just not sure to go to birmingham main or bcu. mainly because the course content will obviously be harder at birmingham main, but if a dagree is a degree than whats the point goins there working my ass of gettin a 2:1 when i can go bcu work my ass of and get 1st. see thats my dilemma
Reply 5
Go back to high school. :|
Reply 6
Ixtreme
thanx for tht but i wanted to know like is the univeristy of birmingham 2:1 worth more than the 2:1 at birmingham city university?

no offense.. but i basically said the answer.
Birmingham (i assume) is better than Birmingham city .. thus city is lower ranked.. just relate it to my post..
Reply 7
That's a little harsh Mayden.

OP; I know you said you're new to this, but as this is largely a forum with an academic (or so we like to think) user base, it would help you immensely if you typed your posts with correct grammar and spelling, and left out text speak. It will avoid really anal comments like the one above.

Asking this question on TSR will no doubt invite the elitists in who, like a poster above said, believe that if you don't go to a top 10 university, your life will fail. However, this is not the case. By all means, aim for Birmingham University, but getting a 2:1 from BCU is good as well.
Tumpelo
Aim higher.

lol :rofl:
Tommyjw

To OP.

This sums it up OP.
Ixtreme

Obviously a degree from UoB is better. If you've got the grades for UoB, why are you considering UCB?
Ixtreme

Yes it most definitely is in terms of career prospects. Most graduate recruiters will prefer University of Birmingham
Reply 12
Most employers will value the integrity of the Birmingham course over the Birmingham City course; perhaps suggesting that a 2:1 from the former is more difficult to get and therefore more valuable.

I personally would assume that someone who graduated from Birmingham would have been exposed to a broader and more intensive course.
Reply 13
JohnC2211
That's a little harsh Mayden.

Sorry, I'm irritated and pre-judged a bit too much. Sorry. :o:
Yes it is, and a 2.1 from UoB is better than BCU, it really only matters when getting your first job, with experience the University you came from moves down the ladder of importance.
Reply 15
Ixtreme
hi, basically i took 2years out of education after my a-levels. i decided this year i should to go university as workin full time was not for me. (mainly because i worked at asda).
so i was planning to apply to birmingham main for accounting and finance as firm and same course at birmingham city uni as insurance.
i have been told from a variety of people including teachers mix view on my university choice. some people say havin a degreee from bham main will totally out way bcu and others say aslong as you a 2:1 it does not matter what university you go to.
i just wanted to no is going to a top univeristy that much of a big deal or is it just people desires. is 2:1 the only thing you need regardless of university?
thanx for listening and would love to hear you feed back.
im new at this so please be gentle:biggrin:

The reason why you're getting conflicting answers is because the reality is quite complex.

Employers can discrimate against applicants however they want (providing it's lawful of course - not that the law stops some).

A minority of employers do take university name into account, it's probably around the 10% mark. For the majority of employers it is of little to no significance. These will concentrate on your work experience, personal qualities, performance in any interviews and tests, and your academic results.

Those who do look at university name will also place significant focus on these qualities. But such factors, certainly interview performance, will only be of importance in later stages.

If you can get into Birmingham and you feel it's the right environment and course for you then go to it. If you think you'll be desperately unhappy and/or the course isnt suitable then don't go. If you feel Birmingham City offers a better environment and course then consider going there.

But it you want a simple answer then your work experience and academic results are more important.
babygirl110
Yes it most definitely is in terms of career prospects. Most graduate recruiters will prefer University of Birmingham

Utter rubbish. According to a BBC survey, ~7% of gradate employers take into account the university you attended. 7% =/= most.
The above poster has it right. It's quite a small percentage of employers who place a preference on the University you attended. In the long run, experience means more than your degree. It's worth noting however, that some of the highly competitive careers such as Law place a fair emphasis on where you go to university. You only have to look at the Magic Circle firms and then Oxbridge/top 10 graduates are 10 for a penny.

Latest

Trending

Trending