The Student Room Group

Teacher sharing my personal statement

Hiya
I'm the first one in the class to hand in my personal statement, and my teacher has offered me no help and guidance and has not even marked it yet and won't help me with regards with what to cut down.

She is pretty shocked that my personal statement has turned out well (in her opinion) and now wants my permission to share it with the class, a lot of the people in my class have made no effort like i have, i have spent weeks on my PS and have read journals, books, watched documentaries and researched. While i was absent she said to the class that she was sure that I would help and share ideas and let them see my statement, i feel awkward and gutted as I don't want to seem mean and selfish

Also, whether I allow them to see it or not, my teacher is going to take ideas from mine and share them and I really feel sad about this
I know this sounds selfish but everyone in my class has been lazy and haven't even began planning theirs

What should i say/do? :frown: :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tell her that she shouldn't have done that.
It's your privacy.

I would be pissed off if my teacher shared my PS with other people.
I don't like the idea of sharing mu hard work.
I don't get why other people should have it so easy.
Reply 2
Report it.
Reply 3
Well, if it makes you feel any better, nobody can copy/steal what you've written because UCAS will obviously detect this. I understand how you feel considering how much effort you have put into compared to others, so you could have a word with your teacher and ask her not to share it with everybody. After all, it's your personal statement so you could just tell her that you don't feel comfortable sharing what you've written about yourself with everybody in your class - she can't really use it without your permission.
I've done mine and (along with many others) didn't really want anyone to see it at first, not because anybdoy is doing the same course as me and might use my ideas but I just didn't want anyone else seeing it! So if people ask you, just give them some ideas verbally for how to structure it i.e. what to include in paragraphs and in what order. At the end of the day, you don't owe any of them anything! Good luck :smile: x
Just say no. That is absolute BS. It's called a PERSONAL statement for a reason and there's a website that shows examples of PS. It was something like 'unitracker' or something.
Reply 5
M1F2R3
Report it.

report what?

You know just tell her you're not comfortable sharing you work to the class or any of the content. But surely helping others to have a platform of what to write is not a bad thing.
Besides if anyone did copy the content of your PS they're going to get problems for it
Reply 6
xaliciax
Hiya
I'm the first one in the class to hand in my personal statement, and my teacher has offered me no help and guidance and has not even marked it yet and won't help me with regards with what to cut down.

She is pretty shocked that my personal statement has turned out well (in her opinion) and now wants my permission to share it with the class, a lot of the people in my class have made no effort like i have, i have spent weeks on my PS and have read journals, books, watched documentaries and researched. While i was absent she said to the class that she was sure that I would help and share ideas and let them see my statement, i feel awkward and gutted as I don't want to seem mean and selfish

Also, whether I allow them to see it or not, my teacher is going to take ideas from mine and share them and I really feel sad about this
I know this sounds selfish but everyone in my class has been lazy and haven't even began planning theirs

Well, your kind of trapped, what I would do is wait till your application is sent off and then share it, no risks to you that way.
I know exactly how you feel. I hate working so hard on something for everybody else to take credit whilist they've just been p.i.s.s.i.n.g about on their a.r.s.e being lazy.
Say to her that you don't particularly want to share you PS because you feel you have worked very hard on it and feel like its yours to have and you are not comfortable with people having your hard worked ideas. and you hope she will respect that it's your piece not hers to share. Then apologise to her-even though I feel you have no need to as its your work-but you know its nice to be polite

I hope she doesn't use it, and I hope you get your palce after working so hard xxx
Reply 8
Do not let them see it!!! If they copy anything you could get in trouble for plagarism.
If you don't want them to read it, say no. Especially if you're worried they'll copy parts because UCAS will detect it.
Reply 10
You should say no!
You could end up having UCAS thinking you've plagerised (sp?) someone elses, when yours is the original.
Your teacher should know this and shouldn't even consider showing it.

If they do you should go to someone higher than her and explain your worries and how you don't want it sharing. I think with something like this if you say no, they'll probably listen.
Don't share it.

It's your personal statement and it should remain that way. Perhaps you could speak to your year head about it and tell them you're upset?

Your teacher is a dick.
You need to be assertive. Let her know the amount of effort you have put into getting your PS to where it is, and that you don't want to share it with the rest of your class for this reason. There is also the UCAS plagiarism software to consider, as others have mentioned.
(edited 13 years ago)
You spent weeks watching documentaries and researching for a personal statement?

I am flabbergasted
Don't give permission to let your teacher show it. Your classmates could quite easily plagiarise it and then when you submit your ucas form it will be flagged because it won't be clear that they copied off you. It's a personal statement so keep it that way. Why not point your teacher in the way of the resources you used instead?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
That is terrible! I cannot believe that a teacher would do that.

Inform her that it's your work, and UCAS uses plagerism detection software.

If that doesn't work report them.

If that doesn't work tell your teacher to **** off.
Reply 16
Tut.exe
report what?

You know just tell her you're not comfortable sharing you work to the class or any of the content. But surely helping others to have a platform of what to write is not a bad thing.
Besides if anyone did copy the content of your PS they're going to get problems for it

Why take the risk, why should your own personal statement act as a template to others? I would be fuming if my school did this.
I wouldn't even say please to be honest. Just say something like 'no, i'm not going to share it'. If he/she says why just say 'don't want to'.
Reply 18
I agree with everyone on here. I would go insane if my teacher asked me. NEVER allow her to show it to everyone else, they are just such lazy begs! Everyone school has them, and they should not be helped if they do not want to help themselves. For example i asked someone the other day if they had filled in their ucas details, and they said "nah, not yet......" Great attitude mate lol.

Anyway....you could get done for plaguerism (as some have said on here), but then some have also said that if people copy yours they will get in trouble IN FACT you will both be in trouble.

Do not allow it!
Reply 19
xaliciax
Hiya

Simply, just say no. It's your intellectual property. If people use it in their personal statements, if you find out you can sue them.

Latest

Trending

Trending