The Student Room Group

Can you send your personal statement to lecturers?

My college offers little help with personal statements, and seeing as I am applying to high league unis, I was wondering if I could email my personal statement to university lecturers in the course I’m studying to. It was actually an Oxford student who told me to do this, but I’m second-guessing myself now.
Original post by waffelton
My college offers little help with personal statements, and seeing as I am applying to high league unis, I was wondering if I could email my personal statement to university lecturers in the course I’m studying to. It was actually an Oxford student who told me to do this, but I’m second-guessing myself now.

I suggest not - your sharing your personal statement with a person with no known trust. Your teachers and sixth form team are in a position of trust and so is your family. Besides, what advice do you want? Is it to do with the introduction, rewording things, reflecting on experiences, your super curricular activities?
Reply 2

Submit it to the PS review section on here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372

Best case scenario this will end up in someone's spam box. I assure you they have more than enough emails to deal with from their current students, much less 6th formers who haven't even applied yet to their uni...
Reply 4

Next to nobody I know would act on this, and I read at Oxford. I din't know where their undergrads get these ideas from.

As another Oxford student, I would avoid doing this. I doubt any academics are gonna review your personal statement for free. People charge money for this sort of thing.
I'd also note that depending on their selection process, you may well email someone that has no involvement in scoring personal statements. Lecturer Admissions.

So even in the one in a million chance they did respond, you may get some very wonky advice indeed, (although most academics have enough wherewithal to not respond if it's not in their wheelhouse).
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
I'd also note that depending on their selection process, you may well email someone that has no involvement in scoring personal statements. Lecturer Admissions.

So even in the one in a million chance they did respond, you may get some very wonky advice indeed, (although most academics have enough wherewithal to not respond if it's not in their wheelhouse).

Relatedly (as an academic with little clue in this area), I wanted to ask.you (on behalf of a student) for general pointers on what constitutes a good postgraduate PS for the 'elite' gaffs - I tried to message but you sensibly have that turned off :lol:
Original post by gjd800
Relatedly (as an academic with little clue in this area), I wanted to ask.you (on behalf of a student) for general pointers on what constitutes a good postgraduate PS for the 'elite' gaffs - I tried to message but you sensibly have that turned off :lol:

Haha, yes, I got a bit exasperated after everyone ignored the "please don't DM me specific queries" line in my bio.

In general, I would always advise researching the specific uni guidance as much as possible. What one postgrad course wants in a PS may be different to another so avoid copy and pasting with a few module names thrown in, (it's very obvious).

Look out for info and hints about scoring criteria:

Postgrad pages

Faculty FAQs

How to apply webinars

Postgrad fairs

Call the admissions team directly

But broadly speaking:

Demonstrate that you understand that specific course (not just the subject area)

Demonstrate that you've thought where it will get you, beyond just one job title

Demonstrate that you'll be a positive contributor to the cohort, either via relevant experiences or solid extra/super-curriculars

Reply 9
Haha, yes, I got a bit exasperated after everyone ignored the "please don't DM me specific queries" line in my bio.

In general, I would always advise researching the specific uni guidance as much as possible. What one postgrad course wants in a PS may be different to another so avoid copy and pasting with a few module names thrown in, (it's very obvious).

Look out for info and hints about scoring criteria:

Postgrad pages

Faculty FAQs

How to apply webinars

Postgrad fairs

Call the admissions team directly

But broadly speaking:

Demonstrate that you understand that specific course (not just the subject area)

Demonstrate that you've thought where it will get you, beyond just one job title

Demonstrate that you'll be a positive contributor to the cohort, either via relevant experiences or solid extra/super-curriculars

Perfect, thank you. I can pass this along.

I don't remember even writing a statement for my masters :lol:
Original post by gjd800
Perfect, thank you. I can pass this along.

I don't remember even writing a statement for my masters :lol:

Well, they'd let any old riff-raff in back then :wink:
Reply 11
Well, they'd let any old riff-raff in back then :wink:

Accurate :lol:
Original post by gjd800
Accurate :lol:

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending